Vatican Tour other than Scala Reale

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vatican Tour other than Scala Reale

Hello to all,

My fiance and I have already booked Scala Reale for the "Roma Antica" tour, but we were unable to get into the Vatican tour due to unavailability/scheduling. We are both in our late 20's and are very interested in history and culture and do not mind fast paced walking tours. Please give us suggestions based on your experience and cost (we are looking to spend no more than $50 per person). Thanks in advance!
Jennifer
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 09:35 AM
tcl

Hi Jennifer:
My husband and I recently went on a Vatican City tour with Through Eternity (www.througheternity.com). We thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a 5 hour tour for about 32 euro each (we got a 10% discount by booking online). It wasn't a fast paced walking tour just because it was so crowded inside the Vatican Museum (we were there on a Saturday - when they close early). The website advertised no more than 23 people in each tour group, but our group only had 14. This made the tour more intimate (which was a plus!).
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks TCL!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 02:56 PM
tcl

You're very welcomed. I hope you and your fiance have a great trip! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:45 AM

Just returned from Rome.
A couple of Vatican suggestions:
1. Sundays, the Vatican Museum is closed.
2. Sundays at noon the Pope speaks from a high window, at the square in front of St. Peter's Basilica (San Pietro). No planning, lineup or cost - just go and stand with the throngs.
3. Clothing restrictions: no shorts at all, no knees, no shoulders, no cleavage. (so no sleeveless t-shirts!)They will turn you away from St. Peter's. Girls - you can bring either a pareo/wrap/sarong type thing which folds flat in your backpack, and wrap around your waist before entering the church. Or just wear pants or long skirt. my 14 year old brought cotton drawstring pants in her pack, and slipped them over her shorts.

Coliseum:
You don't have to plan a tour for this ahead. It costs 8 Euros to enter on your own, or 16 Euros includes entrance and a tour guide. The tour guides have a little official name tag, and are professional. Totally worth it! You don't have to stand in a lineup to enter, and it is a wealth of info!

Any time you are hiring a tour guide - listen to them speak - if they speak english clearly and loudly and seem interesting - go for it! (In Pompeii we had one lame guide that we could hardly hear or understand - too boring for words!)

have fun!
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Holly!
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 12:12 PM

The Alimandi brothers offer a tour that I'm sure would be good although I haven't been on it. Also the USO has various tours of Rome. www.alimanditours.com
http://www.uso.org/rome/