Vatican tour or not to tour?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a the advantages / disadvantages of seeing the Vatican on your own or going with a tour group ? I was talking to someone who visited the vatican a few months ago, and he mentioned that alot of the tour groups rush you through and give you 5 minutes for photo's and thats it! He visited the Vatican casually at his own pace!
any thoughts appreciated
Old May 13th, 2006, 12:24 AM

Well it depends on what you mean by Vatican - if just the Museum then all tour groups are going to rush you through.

I took a great Icon tour of the Vatican. It ended up being almost 5 hours and included the museum and St Peterīs and it was still rushed. But that was OK for me as I am not a art person and just wanted the highlights.

Vatican City and St Peterīs are of course free so you can go back after the tour and spend as much time as you like.

If you really love art you may wish to do a whole bunch of research in advance and spend a full day in the musuem. If you are just the casual tourist do a tour but book a decent tour company - there are a whole bunch recommended on this board!
Old May 13th, 2006, 01:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks wilees, I'm checking out icontours website at the moment. As a general Idea, may I ask how long you approximately, would you have spent in the sistine chapel?
Old May 13th, 2006, 01:54 AM

My tour guide gave us 10 minutes after he had given us a bit of whispered guidance. This was plenty for me. We had only 9 in the group so if anyone wanted to spend a few more minutes he would have been OK. But IMHO St Peterīs is by far more important that the Sistene chapel which was packed with tourists (mainly groups).
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again wilees

I just had a look at icontours website, and it mentions the divine inspirations tour is 2.5 hrs. Would you know if this is the tour you carried out, or is there another tour lasting 5 hours?
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:24 AM

Yes that is it. It is only meant to be 2.5 hours but we got to 4.45 hours. I really do not think that they could get through it all in 2.5hrs but I guess that is all they promise!!

I did the Ancient Rome one as well and that only had 7 people on it and took 3.5 hours.
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again wilees, will keep that in mind. may even ask the question at time of booking!