Vatican tour with italywithus

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had experience with this company? I am trying to book an early morning tour, before the opening time. Most importantly, we would like to see the Sistine Chapel when it's not very crowded. They promise so on the website but I am not sure if they are reliable. If you have had such a tour with this or another company please share your information. Doesn't have to be in the morning, can be after closing time, too.

Would also like to have a tour of the Colosseum. If you know a good one, please share.

Thanks
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 07:19 PM

I know people who used them for a Vatican behind-the-scenes tour several months ago, and they said it was amazing.
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 07:36 PM

We used this company for a Vatican tour in 2013. It was fabulous! We did see the Sistene Chapel at the beginning of the tour before the crowds hit and then at the end with the crowds. The tour guide was very interesting as well. We would definitely use them again.

We were also able to skip the lines to get in and go thru with our guide.

Very easy to find the tour company office just outside the Vatican museum entrance.
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Did you do the private, semi-private or group tour? They have these three choices for 8 am. The private tour would be nice but sounds a bit too expensive with four people. I wouldn't mind being with others if the tour is similar, otherwise.
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 04:46 AM

We did a Vatican Tour that was "private" Private it was not. Sure, you get in early, but so do a lot of other tour operators. Also, the cruise ship tours and other large tour groups eventually catch up to you and you tend to get swallowed up in the masses.

Ask yourself what you really weant to see and tailor your PRIVATE tour for that. I say private, because it will get you in the museum early. Then you need to make it clear to your tour guide that you want to take short cuts to get you ell ahead of the groups that are going to catch up.

If you are only interested in the Sistine Chapel, then ask to be taken there--directly and the shortest way possible. (Although much of the tour is a loop pathway). For instance, if I were to do it again, knowing what I know now about the crowds, heat (no air conditioning!) and lack of quiet and peace to comtemplate these great works of art, I would ask to be taken immediately to the Raphael rooms,pass by the modern art collection, and go right to the Sistine Chapel.

Then have him lead you out the rear door and around to St Peters, where you will see signs to watch out for pickpockets.

In general, the Vatican and St. Peters was the most horrible time spent in Rome. The art is magnificent, but they have WAY oversold this as a MUST SEE check off tourist spot, flooded by people who have no sense of what they are looking at anyway and would rather be in Disney.

I say, go have a picnic instead.

--Jerry

Old Feb 18th, 2015, 05:11 AM

We used Presto tours, small group, about 10 of us. He was most educated on the Vatican, American so We could understand him. So glad we did that. Also, took 1/2 day trip to Appion Way and Cattocombs with Presto. We had an enjoyable Gentalman again American so we could understand him, small group about 5 of us. I prefer small group settings. Enjoy!
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for the new information. I have to figure out what's the best way to go. I know it is going to be crowded, there is no other way, unless we go after they close it, which is too expensive for four people.
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 10:11 AM

If you'll be there on a Friday night between May and September, you may be able to go when there is a Friday night opening. They haven't announced this yet for 2015, but they've done in in the last several years, and it cost no more than going in the day time. In prior years, it was reported to be much less crowded than a daytime visit; it was open only to those who had reserved tickets.
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

bvlenci,

who are they? The Vatican or the tour companies? How can I reserve tickets?
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 01:49 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
There are after hours tours that are private (300€+ per person) which aren't the same as the early admission tours. The person that used to run Italywithus (perhaps still does) used to post on Fodor's and would get quite testy with other posters. If you scroll through this thread, you can see how she reacts to people.

http://forum.virtualtourist.com/misc...-a-refund.html