Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How long should it take to get from the end of the Vatican Tour to where the Scavi Tour Starts?

How long should it take to get from the end of the Vatican Tour to where the Scavi Tour Starts?

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi
I am thinking of joining a 09.30am tour group to avoid the Q's at the Vatican on the 26th may
The only Co ordinated group time is 09.30am

My SCAVI Tour is booked for 11.30am

Is is possible???
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 06:53 AM

It takes at least 15 minutes to walk from Vatican Museum to Scavi entrance. How long is the Vatican tour? Offhand I would say the answer is "no."
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi thanks for responding

I think its just general entry with a group - not a tour - so you can group together and avoid the general public Q's - so I am assuming you can stay there as long or as little as you like

Its kind of do the 09.30 tour and make sure we are out in time to do teh 11.15 Scavi or come back on the Sunday which is the free day and that sounds like a nightmare Q wise

So we would need to be leaving the Vatican at approx to get to the SCAVI tour 15 before hand

Do you know the quickest way to the Scavi Tour?
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Pausanias

When you say Vatican Tour are you talking about the museums or St Peter's?

If the former I think the quickest way would be the group exit door in the Sistine Chapel, but I've never done it.

The entry to the Scavi tour is just to the left (as you face the basilica) of the stairs. You are supposed to present yourself ten minutes before the start of the tour.

That leaves a very short while for the museum, but about right for the basilica.

My advice would be to tour the museums a different day.

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

It is a a tour of the Vatican Museums -please tell me this is the tour that will allow us into the Sistime Chapel etc?

I am doing the scavi excavations tour at 11.15 - they have come back and offered me a 08.15am entrance time with a group - no guided tour but possibly we could get headphones?

Is there anotehr differnet tour of St Peters or can we just walk around the Bascillica after the Scavi tour?

Does this involve another Q???
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Pausanias

Yes, it's the Vatican Museums tour that takes you to the Sistine Chapel.

You can walk around the basilica after the Scavi tour. Don't need to take a tour.

If you feel comfortable getting to the museums at 8:15, go for it. Just remember to be at the Scavi tour entrance ten minutes before it begins.