Varenna or Bellagio

Search

Varenna or Bellagio

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Varenna or Bellagio

I was planning on staying in Varenna for 5 days but am beginning to have second thoughts. I've come across a room with a lake view in Bellagio. I know it's been discussed many times but would like some thoughts. I will be in Torino before Lake Como, then Mantova after Lake Como. I just spent the holidays in Montecito. CA - which was wonderful but everything closed up around 9:30 pm - concerned Varenna might be a bit too quiet. I'm going the first two weeks of june. Thanks for yoru comments and thoughts.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 06:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A tough choice. Apparently both hotels are within your budget, and this is literally a choice of atmosphere. (If one hotel has air conditioning and the other doesn't, I'd go with A/C.)

Varenna is a little quieter than Bellagio, which some people consider a plus. I haven't been to the lake in early June, so I can't tell you exactly how much quieter.

I love Bellagio, but for a variety of reasons we've stayed in Varenna on our last two visits. Our favorite restaurant (Bilacus) is in Bellagio, but we found that Varenna had more interesting choices overall. Bellagio wins for shopping, but I think the views from Varenna (toward Bellagio and Menaggio) are more beautiful, especially at sunrise and sunset.

If you're into hiking, there is a greater variety from Bellagio but more interesting destinations from Varenna.

Like I said, tough choice.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 03:56 AM

It is a tough choice. We stayed at the Hotel Belvedere in Bellagio two summers ago in a lake view room which was wonderful, but the summer wall to wall daytime crowds weren't. One afternoon we tried to escape by visiting Varenna, which is beautiful, but yes, very quiet. I think I'd recommend going with whichever hotel "grabs" you, and suits your budget.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your input....
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

one other question...any idea how late the ferries/boats run between Varenna and Bellagio?
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 06:47 AM

The ferry boats stop sometime around dusk. I don't think that there is any boat service past 10:00pm, maybe 10:30.

As far as nightlife in June, Varenna will be slow (a few dozen people out and about). Bellagio will be more lively.

If the Bellagio room has a good lake view, then you might like Bellagio more.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 06:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Boat services run into the evening, later in summer than winter. It's possible to have an early-ish dinner in one town and still get back to the other.

Only the winter schedule is posted at the moment, but check www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng for timetables. Also check the posted schedule at the ferry dock when you get there in case there have been changes or interruptions.

As far as a "room with a view" is concerned, I don't think you can go wrong in either town, but I do love the view from Varenna.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

I decided to go with the 'room with a frontal view of the lake' in Bellagio. I felt I wanted just a bit more density of urban space compared to Varenna. I'm expecting it to be a bit quiet still - the season just beginning to kick in - but enough to keep me busy and entertained.

Once again - thanks for all your input and comments.

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 12:37 PM

We stayed at Eremo Gaudio in Varenna last September and I would stay there again. The view is spectacular and the walk into town is quick and easy. I personally like Varenna better. I love the walk around the water and the quieter feel of it. There is also a hike up to a old castle you can do in addition to checking out the villas. We just took a boat over to Bellagio for the day.