Valros, Languedoc - Roussillon questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, picture this a bunch of us slightly tipsy at a charity auction ... we do some quick math and quick bidding and now have use of a 5 bedroom home in Valros next year for one week. We need to choose the week. Summers are out for us. What would experts on the region recommend? Also, any good ideas on things for us to do in the area?
Old May 9th, 2010, 05:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Ask Peter who lives in Languedoc

[email protected])
Old May 9th, 2010, 06:50 PM

I was in Languedoc in April of 2005. When we arrived, it was windy & cold. There were no leaves on the trees and the grapevines were bare. Over the 3 weeks we were there, spring bloomed forth & it was glorious! The gravevines leafed out, the trees bloomed: redbuds, lilacs, wisteria. The wild flowers along the sides of the road were in bloom: jonquills, irises, poppies. It was absolutely lovely. After the first 2 or 3 days of blustery weather, it got very nice and even was pretty warm toward the end of the month. I'm going back in September of 2010 & expect it to be quite different. But, I'd say late April into May would be very nice. It gets very hot in Languedoc in the summer.

There are lots of things to see & do. I suggest Michelin's Green Guide for Languedoc. I replied to another posting about Languedoc, so you can either search "Languedoc" or "CJT0427" and you should find it -- I listed quite a number of things to do.

I know you'll have a wonderful time.
Old May 9th, 2010, 11:43 PM

Normally I would just say May or September. However Aude and P-O had snow last week !

So - 2nd half of May or Mid September is best. Still warm, not too hot, kids back at school and everything still open. The sea is warmer in September, but there can be rain (mostly overnight storms).

Weather stats : http://the-languedoc-page.com/langue...er-history.htm but there are no guarantees.

Photos : http://the-languedoc-page.com/photos/index.htm

Recent weather discussions : http://the-languedoc-page.com/phpBB2...pic.php?t=4825

Peter
Old May 10th, 2010, 02:18 AM

I agree with comments about timing. If you want to swim at Cap d'agde , then Sept would be fine , but you wouldn't be swimming in the spring. I also like the early June weeks as a choice for warm days, but not too hot or crowded.

Your town is in a very nice location between the coast, Beziers and Pezenas, the Corbieres, the Cathar country etc etc. If you take the Michelin Green Guide you will find plenty to do.

Another guide our visitors have liked is the Hachette Vacances series, this one called "Languedoc-Roussillon France by the French". It is in English and has come from a French original. There are tons of photos, like 5 on every page, and it will really help you find things that you will like. You did a good thing at the auction, and you will not regret it! Rouss
Old May 10th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks folks - I've reached out to Peter. Sounds like September is a good choice ... it is what I was thinking myself!
Old May 10th, 2010, 11:50 AM

I can't help you with any info except to say there was an excellent article in yesterday's NY Times Travel site about Languedoc-Rousillion and the Cathars. Very interesting and maybe you will be near these sites.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/05/09...edoc.html?8dpc
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

that's great - thanks plan2gosoon!
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 11:34 AM

Thought I'd hop on this thread now to see if you've been and are back yet? How was it? We are thinking of spending about a year in the region starting next August (or so). In fact, we may travel there for a month this November just to be certain we are comfortable living there in the "low" season before we commit to a whole year.

Obviously there will be lots of details to pin down if we decide to go for the year...and I promise to start "my own" thread in that case.
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 10:55 PM

They're not going till next year
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 06:25 AM

Ah, you are right Sheila -- I got confused by CJTO427's trip in "September" -- guess that's what happens when a bunch of us hop on an OP!
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Next year is here! We will be in Valros the second week in October. A couple of days in Nice beforehand and a few days in Barcelona afterwards. i have some questions on the two cities but will post them seperately on other threads. I do have a question for which I'd love some input. We will have a rental car in Valros and my original intent had been simply to drive to Barcelona and drop the car. Now, as I consider the additional cost and drop charge I am wondering if a train makes mre sense. There are 4 of us so in balance it is about 4400 in cost either way ..... unless someone has an idea fora better option. I do like the freedom of the car.... but it's just for the days drive... maybe a train is the sner thing to do? What would you do???
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 10:28 AM

I would drop the care off in Perpignan or elsewhere and take the train. Also, keep tabs of when the grape harvest is likely to be this year, as it's a great time to be there (even just afterwards).
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Trip report is pending - here's the short story...LOVE the region!!!!!!!.... really hated the village of Valros....it's a Steven King novel waiting to happen.....
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 08:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
looking forward to that. Email me when you post so I don't miss it. Loved the Languedoc region. Wonderful inexpensive wines.