April or September for Victoria???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are contemplating a trip to Victoria for 2010. Because of other plans, the months available to us would be either April or September. We are particularly interested in visiting Buchart Gardens, and my husband would like to do some fly fishing. I know that no one can guarantee the weather, but would early to mid April, to see Spring flowers, be too wet? If Sept. would be the better choice, we will just have to wait. Please give us your input -- Thanks!
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 08:35 AM

April is certainly wetter than September, at least statistically. However, rain can happen *any time*, so I wouldn't count on anything. April weather is so unpredictable - you could get sunshine, or days of overcast skies, and yes, even gloomy rain. And while September is statistically a dry month when compared to April, you may just happen to visit on a particular wet/cloudy few days of September. You just never go, so simply go and see what you get.

My suggestion is that early April can sometimes almost be too early, depending on the kind of spring we're having, whereas at least in September all of the summer flowers will still be in bloom, and the quality of the light can be beautiful.

I visited Butchart Garden last year in late September. It was absolutely spectacular then. Here are some of my pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=butc...06%40N00&s=int
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 08:36 AM

Edit: "You just never go" should have said "You just never KNOW"
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 12:35 PM

I would agree totally with Carmanah. April can be gorgeous - or it can still be a bit wintry, i.e. dull and rainy. While there can be iffy days in September too, I think your odds are better.
Fishing is great all year round, so that's not really an issue. If you do come in September, try to make it early Sept. rather than late - that will give you a chance to go to some of the local fall fairs and hopefully the weather will be a bit more predictable.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the insight, Carmanah and Meesthare. You've both been a big help. The pictures of Butchart Garden are gorgeous! Its always better for me to hear from someone who either lives in the area or has visited, rather than just going by some charts. Looks as though we should plan for Sept., maybe late August if we can get away. I sure wish that May or June would be possible, but not next year.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 08:26 PM

Late August would be ideal in terms of weather. May or June are actually not such a good bet; my partner says that the sun comes out here on June 21st and stays out until the end of August. Before that date you just never know.
We had house guests a couple of years ago in May, and it was so warm we had most of our meals outside on the patio. But this year we still had the furnace on in May.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 11:45 PM

I checked my photos of Butchart Gardens from last year to now.

April 21st, 2008 at Butchart's there was snow on the ground! It is not common to have snow then and it was just a light dusting but enough to set the blooms back. Next visit in mid May was much better and by the end of May the blue poppies were in bloom.

This year, April was more as one would expect. There were some tulips at the beginning of the month, more in the middle along with colourful beds of hyacinths, and masses of tulips by the end of April.

In early September last year there were dahlias and some roses. Dahlias still at the end of the month.

But by far the most spectacular sight I've ever seen at Butchart's was on October 24th of last year when the Japanese gardens were ablaze with layers of vivid red and purple and glowing orange foliage. The colour was so intense it looked surreal. I've never seen anything like it.

It doesn't always have to be perfect weather to make for a nice visit. One of my favourites was one dewy and steamy morning in mid October.

Generally though, for colour and fragrance, I think spring is when the gardens really shine, although I would prefer late April to late May.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

My goodness, April, from your description of the many seasons, it sounds as though more than one visit will be necessary, which is ok with us. I know that it is impossible to predict the weather. Even our best efforts to be in a particular place during the "best" weather have often been met with just the opposite of what we had expected. We try to go with the flow and just be thankful that we are able to enjoy to beauty of wherever we are visiting. We are really looking forward to returning to BC. Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 07:52 AM

I used to live in Victoria.
Go in September for sure. April WILL be wet, and coolish, with temperatures in the teens (celcius) at best.
September is the nicest month. It is dry, warm, and most of the tourists will be gone.The sunsets are spectacular, as the sun is getting lower on the horizon (longer sunsets), and the days are usually clear.Its great to dine in one of the ocean view restaurants and watch it set.
Butchart Gardens will be in full bloom, especially the rose garden, which you dont want to miss(it wont be ready in April). Remember to go to the Gardens in late afternoon. Tour it once in the daylight, then wait till dark and see it again with the night lighting. It is unbeleivably gorgeous.
Enjoy your trip