Vacation in Rome

Search

Vacation in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vacation in Rome

Making my first trip to Rome the first week of October and trying to find a hotel that is very reasonably priced and within walking distance of many of the attractions.

As we have only a little over a week, would you recommend spending the entire time there or seeing another city as well.

How far is the Amalfi coast from Rome and what recommendation can you make as to getting there.

What is the weather at that time of year?

thanks.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:52 AM

I could never spend a week in Rome, but that's me. 3.5 days would be plenty.

What is a reasonable hotel to you? $50 a night, $100, $150?

You can take the train to the Amalfi Coast or fly to Naples and go to the coast by train from there.

If you do a search on Rome on Fodors.com, they will have a map and show you the weather. If not, try the Lonely Planet site.

~gnr~
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:54 AM

What is your budget for hotels, because reasonably priced can mean so many things to different people. Have you looked here and other websites that are recommended (like www.venere.com) for hotel suggestions? Go to www.weather.com for weather info.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 06:29 AM

Just me, but after spending 7 nights this year, we plan to do the same next year.
A city, like Rome, really takes more time to really enjoy it.
I think there was a recent thread about "Rome to Amalfi". Do a search and you should find it.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 07:02 AM

I agree with jabez. We spent four days in Rome in March and it wasn't nearly enough time to soak in all this great city has to offer. There is so much to see and do. I already have my to-do list prepared for when I return!
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 09:47 AM

Rome Info:

http://www.cntraveller.com/Guides/Italy/Rome/

Amalfi Coast Info:

http://www.cntraveller.com/Guides/Italy/Amalfi_Coast/

~gnr~
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 02:54 PM

Hi,
We're staying at the Hotel Coronet for 5 nights in November. It seems to be centrally located, near the pantheon, and is in your price range(90euros pernight, including breakfast and taxes). I thought it was inexpensive for that area, and was leary, but I found some very good reviews for it. We've been to Rome before-2nights, and now want to just meander around with no big schedule, and hope to take in all the local neighborhood flavors. You'll have a ball. Helaine
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 06:01 AM

tcreath and jabez - 3.5 days in Rome was plenty for me, you see everything and then get out of the big, dirty city for more peaceful parts of the country like the Amalfi Coast. To each his own obviously. Adesem will need to do research and determine how many things he/she wants to do. All the major things (Colosseum/Forum, Vatican, Pantheon/Spanish Steps/Trevi Fountain) can be done in 3 days though, with 1/2 day left to sit in the square that used to be the racetrack - can't remember the name.

However, if Adesem only has a week, then going to Amalfi might be rushed.

~gnr~
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 04:56 PM

You can spend a week or more if you want. I have been there twice and think 3-4 days will allow you to see a good deal. Depending on how much travel and effort you are willing to go thru, split the week between Rome and Florence. That is what we did the first time and we really enjoyed it.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 05:08 PM

Rome is a big busy complex and sometimes complicated city. think nyc with different languages, customs and windy little streets. If you are comfortable with cities you will love it. If it is your only stop in Italy I recommend a night in Orvieto too. it is a small village experience, much calmer and quieter than Rome but very sweet. easy to get to by train and less than an hour away. there are nice 3 star hotels and lovely restaraunts. also a big cathedral.