Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day Trip to Italian Coast from Rome--Is it worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read a lot on this board about taking daytrips to the Amalfi Coast, like to Naples, and the fact that it isn't worth it for just one day from Rome.

We have run into a snag with our trip and will have an extra day, *possibly* a day and a half. We are considering a daytrip.

Does anyone have suggestions for a place to visit on the coast that would allow us to see the Mediterranean and enjoy a coast town/city? Even if it would be an early morning and late night, if we could get a glimpse of the Med., enjoy some good pizza, and stroll in a nice coastal town.

Thanks for the help. We leave tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Eric
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:59 AM

Hi

How many days do you have in Rome to start with? There is so much to see and do so in Rome so I'm not sure that it is worth it but it depends on how many days you have in Rome.

Here is my Rome trip report with pictures by the way: http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:06 PM

How about a day trip to Pompeii or another site. Perhaps Orvieto, but again how long do you have in Rome?
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:15 PM

Hello ericjdaniels, if you have some "extra" time in Rome and if you are interested in visiting Naples I certainly would take the train to Naples and spend the day there!! Leave as early as you are comfortable with in the morning..do a bit of research so you will know what you would like to do in Naples..and enjoy!!

Old May 9th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Neopolitan

Call me crazy, but we've done the Amalfi a couple of times and while in Rome in June we're planning a day trip to the island of Ponza. An hour by train to Anzio from Rome, then a 70 minute hydrofoil ride to the island to explore. My "day trip to Ponza" thread is here somewhere near the top for more information.

Frankly I'd do a day trip to Ostia Antica near Rome instead of all the way to Pompeii, and I just don't get what you'd accomplish trying to "do" much Amalfi coast in a day trip from Rome.

Old May 9th, 2006, 12:27 PM

A day trip to Amalfi from Rome hardly seems worth the effort unless you really want to see it and know there's no way you're ever going to be back in Italy to do the Amalfi thing properly.

I agree with the person who recommends a day trip to Ostia from Rome - that's what we did. It's very manageable - just take the train - and you'll experience a proper slice of Italian life.
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:29 PM

I wouldn't go to Napoli though. Skip Napoli and go to small towns on the coast maybe Sorrento, Capri, Amalfi or Salerno.
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:30 PM

I agree, it's not really feasible to do a day trip to Amalfi from Rome.

However you could go to Naples for the day as LoveItaly suggested. It's definitely do-able. I don't know if a big chaotic mess of a city like naples is what you have in mind though. Not really a peaceful strolling city.
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:53 PM

Uhm, aggieactuary, Capri is not a small town along the coast. Capri is an island, west of the coastline.

The reason I mentioned Naples is that eric said in his original post "I have read a lot on this board about taking daytrips to the Amalfi Coast, like to Naples..." etc. I happen to love Naples so my answer was that yes it was possible to train to Naples from Rome for the day. Anyway, thanks to the injury to my finger, typing is miserable. eric..do research what would work for you for a day trip from Rome and best wishes that you have a delightful time in Italy!
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:32 PM

Ok...let me take this another step.

If this was my only opportunity to go to the coast, and I only had a single daytrip from Rome, where should I go.

We have been to Rome before, but are taking family to show them around this time. Due to some circumstances, we have a day free for a daytrip and would LOVE to see the coast. If we do this, do you have a "first choice" town/city you would suggest?

Thanks a lot. The feedback is helpful, though varied.

Thanks!
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

"AlmostinRome" was my screenname from last year. I am using the same computer at my in-laws that I used last year before the trip. The cookie was still here and it saved my old screen name!!!

Sorry about that...
ericjdaniels=AlmostinRome.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old May 9th, 2006, 03:29 PM

Gard, recently you posted a link to your NYC trip report which I enjoyed reading. Great pictures and lots of useful information. Glad to find your trip report from Rome!
Old May 9th, 2006, 03:53 PM

We stayed on the coast and took daytrips into Rome last time we were in that area, but if I were doing it the other way around, I'd head for Anzio, Sperlonga, or Gaeta. Very easy daytrips and all of them well worth a day.
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:45 AM

LoveItaly- don't get your feelings hurt because I don't care for Naples.

I stand by my advise. Skip Naples. Go see the coast.
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. It sounds like it might not be worth the trip. I think we might just enjoy a stroll in the Borghese Gardens for a day.

Maybe one day we will have time to do it right.

Thanks!
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:36 AM

I second the idea of Ponza. I do know Neo has been through a bit trying to make sure the trip happens though. We have gone from San Felice de Circeo, which I highly recomend as a great place on the coast. Sabaudia and Terracina are also very nice beachy towns.
-Katie
Old May 14th, 2006, 01:19 PM

Both Orvieto and Assisi are easy day trips from Rome. They are not on the coast, but the hilltowns are a nice change from the city. We enjoyed the underground cave tour in Orvieto (as well as the magnificent Duomo) and our sons enjoyed hiking in the hills around Assissi.