Search

Nice vs. Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:46 AM
addy

Nice vs. Rome

Hello!<BR>Nice vs. Rome? My fiance and I have 11 days of vacation time the last two weeks in September. With so many wonderful destinations in Europe, we've narrowed our vacation down to Nice or Rome (including Amalfi coast). We are an active couple intent on relaxing for 4 days and traveling the remaining days. What would you recommend for us?

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Jack

Duh! It's like asking New York City or Portland, Maine.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Wayne

Obviously, you have some reason(s) for ranking Nice right alongside Rome as a destination. Assuming you do, think of those reasons and decide which place offers more of what you want. I think you will find that most people on this forum would answer "Rome" in a heartbeat when faced with the choice. Since you are already considering the Amalfi coast in conjunction with visiting Rome, you have the essence of a full vacation for you entire 11 days. My suggestion? Spend your 4 or 5 days relaxing and wandering around Rome, then catch a train to one of the Amalfi coast destinations (Sorrento, Portofino, Amalfi, to name a few). Spend the rest of your time there; maybe even consider a day trip to Pompeii and/or Paestum. I'd take that plan any day over anything around Nice, though I think when you say "Nice" you really mean all the neat villages around that area such as St. Paul, Eze, and others. All of those nice Provence attractions still take second place, by a wide margin, to Rome in my opinion. Having said all that, I still revert to my original remark; decide why you thought Nice and Rome are your target destinations, review the reasons you chose them, and then pick the one that fulfills most of those reasons. You won't be displeased with either.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Addy

Wayne, <BR>Thanks so much for your suggestion. Being first time novice travelers to Europe, researching a destination for a long vacation is a bit overwhelming. We've heard wonderful things about both places from various friends. <BR><BR>Jack,<BR>Not everyone is a seasoned traveler like yourself, so give me a break, OK?

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 06:04 PM
amyy

Addy: Having been to Nice for a week and Rome for a week, I'd take Rome any day.<BR><BR>Wayne's suggestion about Rome/Italian coast sounds perfect to me, especially at that time of year.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 07:31 PM
Capo

Hi Addy. Wayne's advice is excellent. I'm curious why you guys narrowed your choices down to these two particular places? What are your interests? <BR><BR>In my opinion, they're both excellent choices. I've been to Nice and the Cote d'Azur five times and love the area, but I also love Rome. In fact, of all the cities I've been to in Europe, Rome is my favorite (edging out Paris.) And Rome along with the Amalfi coast would give you a wonderful combined city & "resort" experience. Nice and the Cote d'Azur would give you this too, of course, but Rome is far more fascinating than Nice. I'd say the one advantage that Nice has over Rome is that Nice is right on the Mediterranean, whereas Rome is a bit inland.