vacation in Paris

Search

vacation in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vacation in Paris

I have chosen to book the http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_109.htm for my sister and I when we will be in Paris from August 8-14 this year. Although she wants to see all of the things that are close to there, which I am fine with, however personally I feel drawn to http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_79.htm because I want to "live like a Parisian" for the week. Go to small cafe and shop, see the flower stands and have a quiet place to stay each night after a busy day of sighseeing. Thoughts , opinions and suggestions are appreciated about the apartments themselves but more importantly the location of each.

Thank you

Bobbie
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 09:41 PM

I haven't stayed at either although I have rented through www.vacationinparis.com. I had #122.
Anyhow, if I were to pick one of the two that you've narrowed it down to, then it would be #79, and not the Champs Elysees one. That area is very busy, commercial, and expensive. It's fine to take the bus or metro over there to walk around, but I personally wouldn't want an apartment in that area. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 10:30 PM

I would go with number79 because of the location.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 12:21 AM

Another vote for 79. It is just as close or closer to some of the tourit sites. And after all there are buses and metros. I just booked #201 on rue St Antoine. Actually I had #79 on one of my lists . #122 is excellent to but it was booked for my dates.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 02:10 AM

I would never stay in the Champs area, and rarely even go there. To me it is just a very "sterile" area with little charm.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 02:23 AM

I'm with the others. Too much exposure to the grand and posh side of Paris put me off the whole city for years, and the OP's second thoughts would be mine. Being near (some of) the sights is no substitute for being in an area with some life of an evening. And you are only near the more monumental sights - there's so much more to see elsewhere in Paris.

Don't forget you can check what a street looks like on www.pagesjaunes.fr.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 03:39 AM
tod

The apartments chosen are spacious and comfortable. We too are arriving in Paris for our 12th visit end August - but first time apartment renters and have gone with a smaller but so adorable little studio for 2. Given the amount of time spent there each day we have chosen something more 'Parisian' but very comfortable and 100euros a day.
Here is the link:
http://www.vrbo.com/103254
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thank you all so much for the great feedback. I can now confidently choose ID 79. I am so excited, look out Paris here we come!

Bobbie
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 06:08 AM

I think some of the ideas are irrelevant when choosing -- such as the idea that you want to come back to a quiet place. There is no resason to presume the first isn't quiet, is there? I don't think one should choose an apt. to want to see things close to it, meaning tourist attractions. It doesn't matter, you can take the metro to those. There isn't much near the first one, anyway, except the Arc, the Champs-Elysees and what? The Elysee Palace? You aren't going in there. I stayed in a hotel in the area of the first once, but just a day -- it's a nice neighborhood, but I think you'll find cheaper things in the other one.

However, you are going in August and the second one does not appear to have AC, or did I miss something. That might do it for me. I actually like the style of the first one better, also. You can pretend to be a Parisian in any apt, also. You can also go to flower stands anywhere. I don't know of any street market near the first one, however (permanent or roving).

I'd choose the second for location. If it does not have AC, that gives me pause, however.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 06:29 AM

We are staying in #79 next month. I prefer that area for the reasons you stated and this is our third time staying in the area.

The other apartment looks very nice too. we like to visit the area. Parc Monseau si a must see.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 06:55 AM

<<I would never stay in the Champs area, and rarely even go there. To me it is just a very "sterile" area with little charm.>>

Ditto. If I'm in Paris around the holidays, I take one walk up the Champs in early evening when the Christmas lights are on, but that's it for the Champs area.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 06:59 AM

Christine has a good point re A/C. I'd check on that and if they don't have A/C find something else, you'll need it in August.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 07:31 AM

oops, should be "Christina"
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the additional replies. You are correct #79 does not have air conditioning and I admit that gave me pause in making the decision. But I feel so drawn to that particular unit I will do what I have to in order to stay comfortable while in the room, cool showers, portable fans. At least I hope that does the trick
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 07:22 PM

It is too bad you can't find something in the 6th near the St. Sulpice. That is the perfect nabe.

If I had to choose either, I would go with #79.

Thin
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 04:35 PM

As for air conditioning, I have never had it in Paris in the 30-plus years of vacationing there and the first 15-16 years of going there, I went during the summer time. I was just there in August 2009 and although it was warm, found no need for air conditioning. For the last 15-plus years, I've been going basically in the spring and although there have been some very warm days, even on some of the spring trips, like in 2006, I think it was, I was fine. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the reassurance about the air conditioning Guenmai.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 07:34 AM

You'll like the Montorgueil Market street just west of you and the proximity to metro stations. Getting the key before you leave is a nice thing as well. We have only good things to say about VIP since our stay in the Historic apartment (now no longer on their list) in the same area.