Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help me choose between these 2 Paris Apartments-6th or 7th ?

Old Mar 10th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to this board, I am excited to be among vacation apartment dwellers (this will be our 1st time renting an apartment on a vacation). So I have narrowed it down to 2 Paris apartments for Husband and I to stay for 6 nights this September.

1) In the 6th on Rue St André des Arts [rented through PerfectPlaces.com; http://www.perfectplaces.com/vacatio...als/24752.htm]

2) In the 7th somewhere between Avenue de la Bourdonnais and St. Dominique [rented through ParisPerfect.com; http://www.parisperfect.com/medoc/re...in-paris.html]

Both apartments are nicely appointed and in the same price range at about 200 euros/night. This is our 1st time to Paris, where would you recommend we stay?
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 10:21 AM

Hi,

I know the Medoc well, and a great many of the PP apartments. I stay in them regularly..3 trips last year for a total of 8 weeks or more. I will be leaving April 14 for a month stay.

I have stayed in Paris hotels and apartments for many, many yearsand in a great many arrondissements. In more recent years, only apartments and now exclusively, the PP apartments. Once you stay in a PP, I'm afraid you are spoiled for others, or so I have found.

They all have A/C and every possible amenity that you could think of. They are decorated and furnished with quality furnishings in every way. All staff and service are by their own employees..not some outside service arrangement.

The location of the Medoc couldn't be better, IMO. This is definitely my preferred location to be in when in Paris. The Medoc is on the American 8th floor, has a small balcony..great views.

You have everything nearby that you could want, the Parc du Champ de Mars with the Eiffel Tower, the Seine, Rodin, Invalides, wonderful top shopping across the Seine on Ave. Monrtaigne and George V, 3 area markets, rue Cler daily market and great local small shops. For restaurants, I don't think you could do better. You have all 4 Christian Constant restaurants nearby on St. Dominique, and so many others, too. Buses right on the corner for quick trips to Opera , Galeries Lafayette etc....

Enjoy your planning..that is half the fun..

a bientot..

Joan
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 10:25 AM

The description of the apt. on Rue St. Andre des Arts says that it is 70sq.m. I can't find where the other one says how big it is, can you? (both look great, by the way).
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 10:25 AM

I know many people think the 7th is great, but I believe that, for a first time in Paris, Rue St. Andre des Arts would be better. The location is more interesting (IMO), you can easily walk to so many wonderful places, and it's very convenient for the Metro. However, the 7th is more peaceful and, if that's important to you, it might be the right choice.
In either case, you will have a wonderful time, and you've already made the best decision--to rent an apartment.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 10:47 AM

I've also stayed in a PP apartment in that same locale -- everything you need to live is within a few minutes' walk. I echo Joan's comments on everything she says -- and we were traveling with two small children.

I didn't take the Metro once while there, although there are buses and the stations nearby. Instead we opted to push our double stroller to the sites and museums and it was an easy, comfortable walk. We explored all the central arrondissements. We did take the RER, train very near by, to Versailles. It's that simple to get around from the 7th.

As an additonal note, one thing to consider when renting is the reputation and the proven service of the rental company or owner. PP is nothing less than excellent with every attention paid to the details of your stay, from the agreement process to the arrival to the stay itself and the departure. They are a company a person can rent from without worrying about extra details.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 10:56 AM

I think I would prefer the rue St. Andre des Arts neighborhood. It is lively and convenient and fun. And the apartment has a piano! I have bookmarked this for my own future reference.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 10:58 AM
cw

Just noticed on the Paris Perfect home page that the Medoc is 510 sq. ft.

Both apartments are lovely. Since this is your first time in Paris, I would lean towards your staying in the 6th, on Rue Andre des Arts. You couldn't find a more central location, it's a larger apartment, and you'll be able to walk most everywhere. If you search for Francine Carpon here and on Tripadvisor you'll find a couple of good reviews of the apartment.

I couldn't find what floor it was on in the description, but one of the reviews said it was on the 5th floor with an elevator.

What a nice choice to have to make!
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 05:59 PM

I've stayed in the rue St. Andres des Arts area, almost annually, since 1981 and personally prefer that area over the area you mentioned in the 7th. If you scroll or click on my screen name, I have written a description of the apartment that I rented, on rue St.Andres des Arts, along with a description of the area. It's under the thread, "Guenmai's Paris Apratment Rental Experience". I just retopped it this morning for someone else, so it's easy to find. Although rue St.Andres des Arts is in the 6th, it's right at the border of the 5th. I personally like to be walking distance from the 5th. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Great to hear the raves about PP, as I've used 3 other agencies and have just about decided that I will only rent an apartment directly from owner in the future. Of 9 European rentals, the 6 by owner were far and away the easiest to rent (not a lot of paperwork), less expensive and the hosts were helpful! However, I may check into PP sometime if I can't do a direct rental. I would second the Andre des Arts area, very central, very charming!
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 08:48 AM

cbctraveler,
What apartment did you rent? I am renting the St Andre one for next April and am curious if you went that direction and what you thought of it.
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 09:12 AM

Just noticed the OP was March 10 and would be going in September, too bad no followup from cbtraveler.

Kathrynj, I have stayed in several areas of Paris, once in the St Andre area and really enjoyed it. I'd stay there again and wouldn't hesitate to book the St Andre apartment. It's a great location and the apartment looks nice and has an elevator!
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 09:38 AM

kathrynj: apparently cbctraveler last visited Fodors/posted way back in April. You <i>might</i> do better if you start a new thread w/ your specific question instead of tacking on to and old/dead thread.

Put some details in your thread title since other Fodorites may have stayed in that specific flat. Something like:

>>Perfect Places St Andres des Arts apartment. Anyone stayed there?<<