Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

nicest neighborhood and nicest one bedroom apartment in Paris?

Old Jul 20th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi, I have posted so many messages on trying to plan the perfect 5 year wedding anniversary in Paris for late June, 2010. So here I go again.

This trip will be for hubby and myself. We are both 50ish. I have been to Paris two times - both times staying at Hotel de L'Abbaye in Saint Germain.

My husband has NEVER been to Paris. We are looking to rent an apartment for 7 days. We will spend up to $3,000 US dollars for the week. Looking for something very nice.

We are very much leaning towards renting a "Paris Perfect" apartment in the 7th (gorgeous apartments) but am still looking for other recommendations.

Love the 6th - St. Germain - any recommendations for very nice one bedrooms apartments in this area?

Also, Ile Saint Louis seems to get rave reviews - Any thoughts on this area? Any apartment or agency recommendations?

We want to be able to have a great time during the day and early evenings but we need to get our sleep at night so we do not want anything crazy busy with a lot of noise during the night time hours.

Any thoughts and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Thanks.!
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 06:51 PM

This is my favorite apartment in Paris. I love the apartment, it has everything you will need, it's clean and decorated tastefully. It is not as expensive as PP, but it's not cheap either. It has a great location right on the border of the 6th and 7th, the bedroom faces the courtyard and is extremely quiet. The owner is American and can be paid without any hassel. Hope you like it, we love it.
http://www.vrbo.com/61185
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 07:06 PM

You might find this website really useful for an objective take on the differences between the arrondisements as living places. Check out the central column listing the arrondisements:

http://www.intransit-international.com/sitemap.html

I've become almost notorious on Fodor's for dishing the 7th as an enjoyable neighborhood for longer-term vistors stays, and some people take it personally, as if criticizing the 7th were criticizing them. But the absence of public parks well-used and beloved by Parisians is a big reason I don't like staying in the 7th, plus the overload of government buildings, which tends to dictate the hours and density of commercial establishments and eateries (for instance, shops often are closed on Saturdays, and restaurants cater to a business-lunch meeting crowd with the few tourist exceptions). The Eiffel Tower and Rick Steves pushing rue Cler guarantees a tourist swarm. To top if off, d'Orsay is not my favorite Paris museum for repeat visits -- so i stay elsewhere!

My favorite long term perch is Montparnasse (where I once lived) -- but that might not work as a base for showing your husband around Paris. I frequently stay in Ile St Lous because (a) it's quiet for a good night's sleep in a VERY central location; (b) a view of the Seine always delights me; (c) I never spend any time there between 10am and 10pm (I go elsewhere during the day and generally eat elsewhere) and finally: I like the chocolat chaud ancienne at Le Flore en Ile. I'm a big walker in Paris and I find St Louis Ile very convenient for that, with more than one metro stop within very easy walking distance, plus the Batobus (which i take as transportation despite the cost).

But mainly I go to the Ile for quiet, first and foremost. It gets very little traffic. Period. I find it easy to walk across the river in either direction to find good food.

Have a great trip.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 07:08 PM

I use this agency for Ile St Louis

http://www.guestapartment.com/
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 07:16 PM

This is not a one bedroom, but I like it:

http://www.guestapartment.com/proper...io/jasmin.html
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 07:22 PM

http://www.guestapartment.com/proper.../snowdrop.html
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 08:13 PM
cw

Guest apartment seems to always be well reviewed and have nice apartments.

With your budget, it would be an easy choice for me. I would go for a two bedroom apartment from www.parisvacationapartments.com. They have few one bedrooms. No question about it--I'd take the one in the 6th, or the Place des Vosges, or one in the Palais Royal.

(We stayed with two other couples in the three-bedroom Palais Royal, and were very happy with the apartment and the agency.)

I'm sure you'll find a good place. Don't fret too much about location and apartment--just find one that appeals to you.

Were you posting on TA about this two or so months ago?
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 08:23 PM

I have to agree that the Palais Royale apartments linked above look quite wonderful -- and no doubt quiet.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 08:24 PM

We also use www.guestapartment.com and have been very happy with their service.

Our favorite apt. is:
http://www.guestapartment.com/proper.../hibiscus.html
We wanted to rent it again this Sept. but waited too long and it was already booked.

Yes it is a studio but it is huge and we loved having our bed in that lovely beamed ceiling room. If you have a bedroom it is sometimes teeny,tiny so we liked this better. There is a separate kitchen. St. Louis en Ile is our favorite place to be.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone for all of this great information.

I am leaning towards staying on Ile St. Louis. I have been on the phone with a very nice gentleman from guestapartment.com.

Looking for a very nice apartment in a great location but also want to get a good night's sleep.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 10:27 AM

I used Paris by Heart last year and was very happy with both the apartment and the service I received from the agency. They have lots of apartments in various neighborhoods (including the 6th & Ile St. Louis) at various price points.

www.parisbyheart.com

Just one thing to keep in mind since you seem to have a sensitivity to noise for sleeping (as I do). Don't assume that a bedroom that faces the inner courtyard will be quiet. Courtyards can be lovely transmitters of noise from other apartments (tv, stereo, parties). I always prefer to take my chances on a high floor apartment (preferably top floor) with a bedroom that faces the street.

Good luck in your search!
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:28 AM

I stayed in a Paris Perfect apartment (Sancerre) in the summer of 2006. The CLOSE view of the Eiffel Tower outside your living/dining room window is absolutely breathtaking! You just don't want to close the shutters and go to bed! There are so many wonderful apartments in Paris and it becomes so hard to pick the MOST wonderful!

Enjoy!

luvparee/joy