Using Expedia: I am a Chicken

Mar 7th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Using Expedia: I am a Chicken

Just looked up aifares to Shannon for our possible trip in October. Expedia's rate from Boston is better than any others, including Aer Lingus, even though it's for an Aer Lingus flight through American.

Although I use the web for many things, I am timid about buying my tickets on-line. (My travel agent was usually able to match the fares I found.)

Should I summon my courage and buy from Expedia? Any bad experiences? (I did a search here and heard mostly good things...)

Thanks for some thoughts!
Mar 7th, 2004, 10:18 AM

I've booked three sets of tickets this year using Expedia, and all have arrived through the post, all details correct within a week.

Don't worry about it, it will be fine.
Mar 7th, 2004, 10:21 AM
rex

While I personally, might be timid about taking advice from m_kingdom (you created this reputation for yourself, not me) - - the answer here is one that I agree with entirely.

You should your summon your courage.

Expand your horizons. Fly in airplanes. Brush your teeth with the other hand. Eat foie gras. Walk on burning hot coals.

Best wishes,

Rex
Mar 7th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Chatters

Expedia is a respectable consolidator and the Internet IS the main source of ticket sales for airlines so WELCOME to the 21st Century!! One thing I would do though is check directly with the airline and see if they have the same offer. I much rather buy from the airline directly. That said, I have used web consolidators, including expedia, and the only one I would never used again is flights.com (formerly TISS) and bestfares.com.

Mar 7th, 2004, 10:25 AM
ira

Hi allison,

>My travel agent was usually able to match the fares I found.<

If your TA can't match this fare, I suggest you take it. Expedia is quite safe.
Mar 7th, 2004, 10:37 AM

Allisonm, I agree with all the above responses. I've used Expedia many times including a few days ago for my trip at the end of March from California to Rome. GO FOR IT!!! Mike
Mar 7th, 2004, 12:13 PM

I have bought quite few airlines tickets from Expedia..
It is a very reliable company..never had any problems , the services were prompt and received my tickets right away..
Mar 7th, 2004, 12:32 PM

I frequently use Expedia. I have used them both for domestic and international air travel.

I even use them instead of the airlines since I also purchase and pay for tickets for other members of my family -- Delta would not allow me to purchase tickets on-line when I am not one of the travellers in the party but Expedia will let me buy tickets for anyone.
Mar 7th, 2004, 01:03 PM

I had a small problem with Expedia on a weird itinerary that involved flying my niece from one city and me from another; transferring at the same hub so that we ended up flying into NY on the same flight. They failed to link our reservations together, so mine got switched so that I ended up leaving NY before her (completely unacceptable!!). Expedia was not at all helpful, but US Airways was wonderful, fixing the whole mess without charging me a change fee. They did point out that they shouldn't do that, because I had booked on Expedia, but they also understood my problem.

However, I don't think that would prevent me from booking on Expedia again... I had my flights, at a great price, and they notified me when the itinerary changed. My preference is to book directly on the airline site, so that I get the mileage bonus.

Anne
Mar 7th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you, I think I'll give it a try once my mind is made up for sure that we will go. I'm going to watch the prices for a while, since my dates are 7 months away.

Rex, I tried foie gras (and found that I like it!)but for the life of me, I can't brush my teeth with my left hand...
Mar 7th, 2004, 02:35 PM

I had the same reservations as you when we booked our Paris tix, but I spoke to a secretary at school who uses Expedia all of the time. She has never had any problems I was told by Expedia that I had e-tix, so I don't actually have the tix in hand. I don't think it matters. I have purchased e-tix before and had no problems at all. If it's all in the computer, that worls for me!
Mar 7th, 2004, 04:54 PM

allisonm,
Echoing the sentiments of the others, I have never had a problem booking with Expedia. In fact, I've found that I've had far fewer problems booking on-line in general than by telephone.I agree with Rex on everything -except for the hot coals!!!
JoeG
Mar 7th, 2004, 08:19 PM

I use Expedia all the time, both foreign and domestic. Last fall I used them to purchase tickets for my daughter out of San Francisco and me out of Los Angeles, meeting in Houston and continuing together to Columbus, Ohio. We reversed it on the way back. We had absolutely no problems and even got seats together on the Houston to Columbus leg each way.

I have no qualms recommending Expedia.