Search

Using a flat iron in Denmark

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2009, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using a flat iron in Denmark

This is my first trip out of the US.
Can I use my (new and expensive) flat iron in Denmark with a converter?
Someone told me it will be ruined & I need to buy another!
Help?
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 09:44 AM

I think with a converter, it's technically supposed to work. However, based on stories I've heard, I wouldn't risk a new and expensive flatiron on "technically supposed to." I'd pick up an inexpensive flatiron at a drugstore when you arrive (which is exactly what I plan to do on my UK trip, rather than risking the loss of my Chi!).
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 09:48 AM

Unless it says 110/220 you will ned a converter. You will also need a different typeof plug. And, depending on the hotel it might not work anyway. Many european hotels are older and the wiring to the rooms is supposed to carry power for light bulbs and older power-sparing objects - not something like a high powered hair dryer or flat iron - which can pull so much power you blow either the apliance or the wiring.

(This is why hair dryers in some European hotels don't really work well, they may have very limited power due to the limitations of the wiring.)
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 09:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There is no difference whether the UK or Denmark (except for the type of plug adaptor) . . .

1) it might or might not work
2) it might or might not ruin the flat iron

you won't know if either or both happen until you try it

3) and no matter, It will not work on it's highest temp setting(s)

so leave it home and buy a cheap one in Denmark -- or try a new hairstyle for a few days . . . .
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 10:46 AM

When I was in Italy a couple of months ago, I tried using my flat iron with a converter and it just wouldn't get hot enough to be of any use. On the other hand, my curling iron and hairdryer did work with the same setup.

I would take everyone else's recommendations and buy one when you get there.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 11:51 AM
P_M

I bought a "European" hair dryer and it's one of the most handy things I ever bought while traveling. If you need a flat iron I recommend the same, get one over there.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 05:08 PM

I would not risk it! I've heard too many stories about them blowing up, converter or no. I use a flat iron every day too, but purchased a couple of dual-voltage flat irons for travel. The first was a Solia iron, which worked pretty well, but not quite as well as my CHI. Still very handy, though. My newest purchase is a mini CHI - it's about half the size as the normal CHI, and is dual-voltage. I'll be bringing this one on my next trip. If you travel a lot, as I do, it's worth the money to get a flat iron that you know will work in Europe. I highly recommend www.folica.com or even ebay (I'll probably be selling my Solia on there soon as I have no further use for it, so I think other travellers might too). Alternatively, you can buy a flat iron for very little $$ once you get there (or at least you can in Italy and France; not sure about Denmark). The downside to that is not knowing how the iron performs until after you've purchased it and having to put up with a bad hair day or 2 until you can find one to purchase.
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 06:42 PM

Are the solia products european or no? I am looking for a flat iron that will work in amsterdam,paris,and barcelonia. I need a flat iron, and a hair dryer that will work there. Thanks!
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 06:55 PM

Am I the only one who thinks of something entirely different when he/she sees the term "flat iron?" Maybe I'm the only old person on the forum.
Old May 18th, 2011, 10:22 PM

No, jaja (April 16) - you're not the only one who thinks of something entirely different!! I've been wondering 'why on earth do these people want to do the ironing when they're travelling?' !! I always just fold firmly or have my hair cut & styled before I hop on the plane. All I take for my hair is a little bottle of shampoo/conditioner and a brush & comb.