2 weeks in Greece with 14 mth old

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading up so much about Greece the past few days that it's only leaving me more confused So hoping this forum will help me in planning my trip.
We are a young couple from India and are planning a vacation to Greece late September. We will be travelling with our then 14month old son and have tot ake him into consideration while planning.
These are a few points I would like help on
- Tentatively we have decided the dates as landing on 24th Sep in Athens and Departing on 8th Oct from Athens. Are these dates fine? I read that Oct might not be the best weather possible so I was thinking maybe we can keep Athens for the 2nd week of our vacation and go to the Greek Islands first. We could prepone our trip to 2nd week of Sep but i'm guessing it will still be crowded then ( we really dont want crowds)
- Of the greek Islands Santorini is a must. But other than that am pretty open for suggestions. Read up about Naxos and Paros being child friendly but J's gonna be quite small to really enjoy the beach for long and am not really keen on another cyclades island. Wouldnt mind a couple of nights on Mykonos though ( would like a peek at Delos and really mykonos does seem very pretty with its cobbled paths and lil venice) How about Crete or Rhodes for a few nights? Crete seems closer and easily accesible, but would it involve a lot of travel within the island?
-Athen's would probably be 3 nights and 4 days with a day trip to Delphi. Do u think the 2 day trip to Meteora wud be worth it and would it be too hectic?
Both of us are not beach bums. We come from India where we have a lot of beautiful beaches and sun and the sand so we are looking at something more quaint, romantic and historical, which is why we chose Greece. Its our 5 th anniversary clelebration too.

So basically I'm asking for help to fill in the blanks
Athens - Santorini - ....... ( Mykonos) .......?

Thanks a ton
Old May 17th, 2011, 04:43 AM

greecetravel.com

Rick Barret's site good insider info for you

Usually do the Intercontinrntal Athens from $80

bidding priceline.com or Atalos if you do not want to bid.

www.otel.com/hotels/santorini.htm best site for me for

Santorini.com my fav deals cash back 10% more off if you like

them on facebook so big discounts there.

Mykonos for party Sifnos for family but I would

just do 2 nice places and chillax with a toddler.

Happy Travels,
Old May 17th, 2011, 04:45 AM

betterbidding.com good site for me for priceline bidding.

Save a tonne on upscale hotels bidding with them...

booking.com another good discount site also owned now

by Priceline if you do not want to bid.

Congrats!
Old May 17th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Doh

I think you should think seriously about how many places you want to visit, and how much driving you want to do, esp. with a 14 month old (Delphi, Meteora, and probably Crete will involve some driving). I would think Athens and 2 islands would be a good amount. If you want "quaint, romantic and historical" you might look at Chania on Crete or you might want to places on the mainland such as Napflio, Mystras, Galaxidi...

When traveling with a little one I find it much easier on all of us if we rent apartments, or apartment-style hotels, which have more space and kitchen facilities than a hotel room. For example, Athens the Ava Hotel has kitchenettes (and suites if you want to spend more), but there are also apartments that will rent for 3-4 nights that you can find on vrbo.com or elsewhere.
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:17 AM

I really think that you must be realistic, with such a small child. Here are some thoughts:

(1) I urge you to go the 2nd week of September, no it will not be "crowded." Going later you will instead get a "closing down" feeling in the islands. Plus, more chance of rain. Also, if you are doing any of your travel by ferry, the seas get rougher with the winds of october.

(2) Don't over-reach; for just 14 days (really, 13) 2 destinations beside Athens is enough. I suggest Western Crete Nafplio, and Athens ... I feel Delphi & Meteora too mountainous, too much carrying of heavy squirmy 14 month Old. I know, I've tried it. Now he's not so heavy -- 4 months from now, whew!

(3) Possible scenario: Fly into ATHENS, if possible, leave in 4 hours on flight to CHANIA Crete, eithr Olympic or Aegean (latter has some 'bargain flights" at €49 or so). after y our Crete stay (4-5 days), take OVERNIGHT FERRY to Pireaus from Heraklion (get a cabin remember, your ferry ticket is also your hotel for the night & babies go free). The Minoan Lines ferries are nicest. Pick up car at Piraeus harbor and drive to NAFPLIO.... spend 4 days in area, visiting historic areas. Drive back to ATHNS for 4 days.

You want Quaint, romantic and Historic -- these 2 destinations have all THREE!

CHANIA -- 2nd most beautiful Old Town in Greece!! Gobs of history!! easy to find a self-catering unit (with balcony & kitchenette) on or just off Theotokopoulu Street, flagstoned lane west side of town. Try Hotel Hera, iason Studios, Pension Nora, Anemones Apt. This is MOST convenient area, u can use small folding stroller all over town!! After exploring town rent car for day trips. To go to Heraklion, KTEl intercity bus is easy; you can put luggage in Bus station locker, take local bus (30 minutes) to tour famous Knossos Palace, return to Heraklion for dinner on seafront then board huge lovely ferrry. Here's a Fodorite's slide show of Chania etc http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/571195659jPcKjK and also WesternCrete: http://travel.webshots.com/album/559511069PIlVxI ... plenty of time to research places to go/see in 3-4 days.

NAFPLIO and ARGOLID -- Nafplio is THE most beautiful town in Greece! Regulated to preserve fabulous architecture. So romantic it's known as "proposal capital of GReece" because so many men take their girlfriends there to pop the question. There are hotels up hi onthe stairsteps streets, but Hotel Victoria, near the square, or Hotel Athina, with elevator, is good for your family. A full day ot explore the town... then with car, there are more thrilling Ancient sites within 30 Km than any other place in Greece -- Epidaurus, Mycenae, Tiryns, Nemea (ancient "games" site like Olympia!!), and MORE. Here is fodorite stanbr's wonderful slide show of all this. http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/551991579dJbWvh and this superb website http://www.visitnafplio.com/visitnafplio.com/Home.html will tell and show you everything about all that's mentioned above. This will be a highlight of your trip!! And it is just 2.5 hours away from athens on a modern expressway.!!

ATHENS -- Don't need to tell you about this great place... Important to stay right in CEnter, in PLaka area or next to it, so if the toddler "melts down," you are near your hotel. If you can afford Ava Hotel it is great, but other places also are close & good. Use "booking.com" to check prices at Hotel Airotel Parthenon, v. near to Ava... also Look at Hotel Myrto, no views but great prices and good location. Be sure that you can get an in-room fridge and a hotplate or electric teakettle & then u can feed Junior when he's hungry outside of meal hours. Once again, here are views of The Plaka area landmarks by our Fodorite ace, Stanbr: http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/570719132pdjjHG

Final note... with son the age of yours, I would consider using 2 methods of tot - transport: The "backpack-seat" for Father... this is So helpful, when going up heights, ie. Acropolis. And small collapsible "cane" stroller/push-chair. The latter might be for sale in Chania GReece but find out beforehand by e-mailing to the lodgings that you book --, you don't want to waste time on your holiday, searching for a store.
Old May 17th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Doh

Travelerjan, that is, as usual, a very helpful post, but I am curious why you suggest returning via the ferry from Heraklion. Is it to give them a chance to see the museum/Knossos, or because it is cheaper, or for the ferry experience, or...?

The suggestion for a back carrier of some kind is a good one (it need not be framed, a soft carrier also works well at that age).
Old May 17th, 2011, 09:46 AM

Well I guess I should have given them BOTH options ... yes, they could fly back from Heraklion, also at a good price IF they watch the offerings closely from Aegean Air. That would have several advantages:

(1) they would not have to go in to Heraklion at All... they could bypass it on the highway, keep their car to go see Palace of Knossos, then drive straight to the Airport to drop their car and get a plane to ATH airport if they timed it right. Then

(2) on Arriving Athens Airport, they could pick up a car there, and drive directly to the argolid area and Nafplio on a modern divided highway--- without even a traffic light until after the Corinth Canal. It certainly would be the most stress-free method of traveling, if they are up for flying both ways to Crete, and car rental on either end.

The TIMING Factor: I could be a Loong day if you drove to Knossos in the AM, flew to Athens and then on the SAME day, drove to Nafplio --- espeically in the fall, when sunset is earlier.
My preference... drive east to the Knossos area to arrive early afternoon (when the crowds from cruise boats are leaving)... do Knossos, then go to Airport & fly to ATHENS. Then -- go to a wonderful nearby B & B. St. Thomas B & B http://www.stay-in-athens.com/ about €100= 120 room. They will pick them up at airport... it's in an olive grove, has a nice small pool, will have dinner brought in, nice buffet breakfast, return you to the airport in the Mroning. Then they can start refreshed, and Jr. will be in a good mood too!!

==========================

About the ferry... I was just thinking that sometimes people want a bit of a "Greek experience" and a ferry is that. And the Minoan ferries Knossos Palace & Festos Palace are so large (1800 passengers??) that they offer a smooth ride even in the Fall. But, if this couple is not into Ferries, the flight option is more time-efficient. And cost is about the same.
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:07 AM

Re qwovadis:

<i>Rick Barret's site good insider info for you</i>

Is he a friend of <i>Matt Steves</i>?
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Doh

I was just curious. I might suggest they consider skipping Heraklion entirely, and flying RT Athens-Chania. I really liked the museum in Heraklion, despite (or because of?) the abbreviated display due to renovations, and I liked Knossos ok, but I could see an argument that it's not worth trying to squeeze them in, esp. when traveling with a small child.

Or maybe I just have bad memories of boat trips/overnight train trips which are unfairly shading my view of the overnight ferry...
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

oh wow! that was quick and so useful. This is my first time on a forum and am so thankful that there's so much help.

Doh, I was looking for apartments too. With lil one that seems the best bet but Ava is a bit too expensive for us. Was looking at the Athens Studios - http://www.athensstudios.gr/ Comes highly recommended but am not too sure about the location. Is it as close to the attractions as it claims to be? And yes, I think we are travelling too much. Will try to make a simpler plan. Its just that we are spending quite a lot just on airfare to athens so some days i think it's a waste to just lounge around in one place but then on other days i think that would be the best way to experience Greece

travelerjan - thanks so much for the input.have already been analysing booking.com quite a lot. Was looking at chania too, flying in and taking the ferry from heraklion and you've suggested the same! It does make a lot of sense. And - Napflio - I hadnt even considered it but u are very persausive i must say. After reading those few lines, I cant wait to see it! But in the bargain, Santorini seems to be lost? I know its a hyped island full of tourists and all that but I will really regret not having a snap taken in the white and blue landscape and i really want to see the caldera view.So it does put me in a bit of a spot. mayb i'l exchange crete for santorini? Any baby friendly accomodation in Santorini with a view.

And september 2nd week wouldnt be possible. Maybe the third week? October prices were lower so that was another thing i was thinking of. Is it ok if I'm doing the mainland oct 1st week?
You guys think of everything - Thanks so much for the tips on carrying the baby. Have a soft carrier and i think that should be sufficient. Read quite a few stories about strollering in athens. We have a collapsible stroller but its a slightly big one. We really do need a lighter one dont we?
oh and do we need a rental car for napflio coz we arent comfortable driving in Greece. Can we get by with public transport?

and can i come back with a few more queries later? thanks again.
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Doh

You can do Nafplio, Epidaurus, etc. as a bus tour from Athens (see here for example, http://www.keytours.gr/en/packet.asp...&category_id=1), but I'm a little unsure whether that's a good idea with a small child. If you don't want to drive, I think I'd be inclined to trade Nafplio for Santorini.

You could fly to Santorini on arrival, ferry from there to Heraklion, and then fly back to Athens from Chania.
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:44 AM

Hi nav_t,

Weather does turn Autumn-like toward the end of September, but there should be plenty of warm sunny days left. That may be the best time to visit the more touristy islands such as Santorini and Mykonos, which have seasons stretching well into October, but are much quieter from the middle of September.

I am an experienced driver, but prefer to use public transport when in Greece. While a car would be almost a necessity on Crete, Santorini and Mykonos are very small, and have good bus systems. Coming all the way from India, I think you would later regret giving Santorini a miss. Likewise, Mykonos is very pleasant outside high season, and has the wonderful archaeological site of Delos next door.

Travellerjan's description of Nafplio and the Argolid is indeed persuasive, and worth including in your itinerary. A week on the islands followed by a few days in Nafplio/Argolid and a couple of days in Athens at the end of your trip would work.
Old May 17th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Doh

While I agree a rental car would be useful for traveling around Crete, there is good bus service from Heraklion to Chania, and a family can be happy without a car in Chania for several days.
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:15 PM

Yes you could do as DOH says, and do the bus In Crete. An option like this::

(1) on ARRIVAL, fly immediately to SANTORINI. SPend MAXIMUM of 2 nights there -- there are not many "child-friendly" places with a view, I sense that you are on a budget and also don't want him to fall over a railing into the sea. Many "safe" places with a view are costly. Example: Hotel Atlantis, Fira. After Santorini take the fast-ferry to Heraklion. it arrives there at 17:30 pm, you walk 50 metrs and get on a bus (2+ hours) to CHANIA. Spend 2-3 days rlaxing in Old Town or nearby, then fly from CHANIA to ATH Airport..

(2) You could go in to ATHENS for 1 night then (If you time it right) you could take the TWO-DAY trip on Either KEY TOURS (goes Mondays) or CHAT Tours (goes Tues or Wed). This has the best of both worlds.... such a bus tour takes you to one major ancient site (Mycenae) then takes you to Nafplio -- tourist Hotel Victoria right off that square. You have entire afternoon to explore the town, stay o'nite, again enjoy Nafplio next morning, then go to another major site (Epidaurus), then they drive you back to your Athens Hotel €130 per adult, baby free. If you cannot afford this.... well, think about driving. If you are coming all this way .. you should see some major stuff.

Why did I leave out Santorini the first time?? Because she didn't mention it until the very last word of her first message, and her emphasis was on "Quaint, romantic, historical." It's romantic, the other places had all 3.

BTW, the above is another reason to go a week earlier; many tours end before october.
Old May 17th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

A car would be the best option but .. well if u know how we drive in India then you would understand my reluctance to drive in greece. We have no lanes or rules whatsoever We just weave in and out as we please! Also since we are used to left hand driving thts also a concern.
Those tours sound good. Thanks.Will have a look at them. And the schedule you've suggested. Though the tours seem to be running till end oct. The thing is hubby cant take leave earlier so mid sep seems kinda ruled out. Anyways lets see.

So heimdall - sep end would be ok is it? need to book the tickets so am trying to confirm the dates atleast.

Oh and if we want to hire a moped in the greek islands, is it ok to carry Jr? In India, we just put lil one(s) on our lap but am not sure how its done in greece so just asking.
Old May 17th, 2011, 04:11 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Santorini is not child friendly. If you want a view, you will most likely be on the edge of a cliff.
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:09 PM

No you can't can't can't do that on a moped, and if there is an accident you will be blamed and the insurance won't pay. Don't be cheap with a child's life.
Old May 17th, 2011, 11:55 PM

Hi nav_t,

I have been to India, so know what you mean by the traffic there, and have seen whole families riding together on one moped. Driving in Greece will be easy compared to India, but I wouldn't recommend weaving in and out of traffic or carrying Jr on your lap on a moped (other direvers won't be prepared for it). If you do intend to drive, go to to your regional AA office to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP). Personally I prefer using public transport, especially on the smaller islands where it is easy to get around.

Yes, end of September will be fine. Although I like to go earlier, many people actually prefer that time of year because it is less crowded and prices are cheaper. Every time of the year has its advantages and disadvantages. In late September you can visit the touristy islands without the crowds, and enjoy lower prices. The trade-off is less reliable weather and some hotels/restaurants beginning to close. Don't worry, though, because the weather is still good for the most part, and there are always places to stay and to eat, even in the middle of winter.

I don't agree with the statement: <i>"Santorini is not child friendly"</i>. Everywhere in Greece is child-friendly, and Santorini residents have children of their own. There are Santorini hotels with a caldera view that aren't perched on the edge of the cliff. Suggest you start a separate thread on "Santorini hotels with a small child". Brotherleelove, our Santorini expert, will see it, and give you some suggestions. Lee is on Santorini at this moment.
Old May 18th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Original Poster

i'm sorry if i ever gave the impression that i would be cheap with my son's life. i dont think anyone would. it was just a query and thanks heimdall for the tips. I think we will use public transport on santorini and on occasions a taxi. So end sep it is then btw how did u like India .. must have been one hellava experience .. huh?

I have already searched the forum and found quite a few threads on the same topic with replies from brotherleelove. Am looking into the options he's suggesting. our son isnt going to be running around by then. So most prob we'll be holding him and walking a little or carrying him for the most part. Is perissa a better option? I know it doesnt have a view but seems flatter terrain and is half hour from fira? Also can i do the volcano tour with the tot in tow? What other things can we do in Santorini with him? And is crete really a good option for 4 - 5 days?
Old May 18th, 2011, 02:34 AM

Hi nav_t,

I had a wonderful time in India, doing the typical tourist route of Delhi, Agra, and Rajasthan. Some of the highlights of the trip were staying in maharajah's palaces, visiting forts, driving through remote villages, and seeing unusual sights such as step wells, etc. Of course visiting Fatehpur Sikri, Udaipur, Jaipur, and Jodhpur were also a treat.

Perissa would be a good choice to stay if you are on an active holiday, because you probably won't want to spend a lot of time sitting in your room gazing at the caldera. You can catch the bus to Fira, and transfer there to Oia, so will still be able to see the caldera and sunset if you wish. The sunset lasts for only a few minutes, so having a room with a sunset view isn't much of an advantage, IMO.

<i>And is crete really a good option for 4 - 5 days?</i>

As with India, there is much to see in Greece, and you will have to make a decision on what to include and what to omit from your itinerary. Crete would be a good option, but that would mean omitting something else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -