Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

URGENT! Does anyone have experience transferring World Cup Tickets?

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 11:59 AM
lvk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just learned that a friends of friends can't use their tickets to the World Cup Semi-finals and Finals (!!!!) I have a call in to them, and am waiting here on pins and needles for them to call me back.

Does anyone know how long it may take to receive approval from FIFA to transfer the tickets? I've been on the website, but it is not all that clear to me.

I have heard that they are not checking every ticket to a passport, so maybe we'll take a chance on bypassing the FIFA channels?

I'm dying here waiting for the phone to ring. Any information you have to share would be welcome. I have already scoped out a flight and will book it as soon as I know for sure.

hsv, logos..... are you out there? Help!

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 12:06 PM

I saw a news report on the Fox Soccer Channel that they were not checking most tickets holders for ID. They talked to around 100 people and I think none of them were checked. This report said that the main hassle people encountered was actually trying to go through the FIFA ticket transfer process. Not sure how much you would want to rely on this though, because who knows if they'll tighten security for the semis and final game.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 12:19 PM
lvk
Original Poster

ps1111, thanks for the response. You have summed up my dilemma in a nutshell. Try to go thru the legal hassle, or take the risk of buying a plane ticket, fly 10 hours and shelling out major $$, just to get turned away.

From the FIFA website:

"How can I transfer my tickets?
In order to transfer a ticket online, you will need to fill in the appropriate application form at the Customer Self Service area until two days before the relevant match. You will need to exchange your old ticket for the new one at one of our 12 Stadium Ticket Centers STC until one day before the match and after presenting your identity card or passport.
If the original applicant cannot collect the tickets, the third party in charge of the collection will need a copy of the applicant’s passport or ID card as well as a signed authorisation and a copy of the new ticket holder’s ID card or passport.

At the Stadium
You will be able to transfer you tickets at a Stadium Ticket Center until 2 days before the match. For a transfer at a STC you will need to present the following documents: a copy of the applicant’s ID card or passport, a copy of the new ticket holder’s ID card or passport, a written proof supporting the reason for the transfer or an e-mail or letter from the ombudsman service.
If the original applicant cannot be there to transfer the ticket, the third party in charge of the process will additionally need a signed authorisation for the transfer of the tickets and for the collection. The transfer fee will be then paid directly at the STC.

Please bear in mind that a written proof of the reason for transfer will be required. "

I'm just wondering what they are accepting as "written proof of the reason for the transfer". Doctor note? Death Certificate? How about "flights were too expensive"?

I wish the phone would just ring.....
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 12:21 PM

I went to three games this world cup, all of them packed. They were not checking passports, at all. Some tickets have passport numbers, others don't, and there's a lot of people who need to sell their tickets, so it is unclear to me how they could insist on checking them. Having said that, security was being handled very professionaly and efficiently.

And there are no sport experiences in life that can compare to a World Cup match... especially if your team wins!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 12:31 PM
lvk
Original Poster

Thanks, Jean Valjean for that valuable first hand experience.

I cannot believe this opportunity has (almost, maybe, hopefully) fallen into our laps. I am sure it will be an amazing experience.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 12:44 PM

Good Luck lvk... and if you do end up going, please write a trip report for the rest of us about the experience!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 12:47 PM

I have no first hand knowlegde at all, but I would think if they were ever going to check, it would be during the finals . . .
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 09:03 PM
hsv

lvk,

friends of mine who had secured tickets for the Italy vs Ghana match in Hannover (through secondary channels) also reported about not having been checked.

I also seem to recall to have heard that FIFA admitted that they would not be able to uphold their policy of only admitting the personally identified cardholders.

I guess in your place, I'd just give it a try. And there are FIFA outlets in every world cup site that should be able to arrange a transfer on the spot.

And most importantly: I shall gladly be willing to run the risk of being caught with your tickets, should you want to send them to me ;-)!!!!

Have fun at the WC!

54, 74, 90 ... 2006
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 10:48 PM

lvk,

I was at the Brazil-Ghana game on Tuesday and guess what? The guy next to me got checked. The security guard was looking through his passport and I overheard him saying something about "my friend gave me the ticket." However, I do not know whether he was randomly selected or the ticket scanner showed a red flag. Friends who were with me who had already been to three games said that was the only check they have witnessed so far. We left without knowing if the man got through.

Having said that, I believe it is rather easy to transfer a ticket. My friends asked for my full name and passport number and they did it online. They picked up the actual tickets for me three days before the game at one of the ticket centers. I never even had to go personally to pick up the tickets.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 11:17 PM

Two freinds of mine went to Hamburg for the Italy-Czequ Republic game. They were checked. the people they had got the tickets from had taken them to the stadium and changed the names, so there were no problems.

They had made up excuses as to why they had to be changed (in fact, my friends bought the tickets on ebay), and no evidence of the reqirement was sought.

If your friends really can't go, and they explain why the transfers will be allowed, I think.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 11:20 PM

Though not the world cup during the European Championships here in Portugal during 2004 and I went to a number of games including the England Portugal 1/4 finals and the final itself: the same rule was supposedly in force back then but not once was my ID checked - even when I (dressed in full England regalia) sat in the Portuguese section versus England. There will be what 80,000 at the final itself: it would be unlikely they will check for it will cause too many hold ups, especially the nearer to kick off it gets.

Matt
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 04:55 AM
lvk
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of your responses.

I'm still in a holding pattern here. It turns out that these "tickets" were won in the lottery from USSoccer, not purchased from FIFA. (I'm thinking they became invalid as soon as the U.S. team were knocked out),

However, she left all of her paperwork at the office, and will call again today. I'm not holding out much hope at this point.......
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 04:55 AM

Maybe they are only checking ID's on tickets with red flags? I didn't see that happen, but a friend of mine saw that the guy in front of him was 'taken away', after getting a red flag when they checked his ticket... turns out that it had been reported as stolen!
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 08:11 AM

My husband just returned from Germany; attended the Brasil/Ghana game in Dortmund on Tuesday. He said that they did not check his i.d. and that a German police officer told them that the checking process had taken way too much time in the early round (duh). Anyway, it's a hard call since you're not getting an answer from the powers that. Perhaps they will only be checking those red-flagged tickets, red-flagged for reasons of theft, etc.
Maybe having a letter from the person who has given you the tickets?
Good luck and have fun - my husband and son had a great trip, son is still there visiting friends in Prague.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 01:22 PM
lvk
Original Poster

Thanks for all of you who replied with first-hand experience.

That flakey lady never called me back, so we secured tickets to the semifinals from another source. Booked the funky AirIndia non-stop from LAX-Frankfurt. BIL will pick up DH there to continue on to Dortmund to watch Germany-Italy in the semi-finals. (Sorry, hsv, DH's brother is getting the 2nd ticket. Imagine his surprise getting that phone call while celebrating Germany's win! ) They'll then head back home to the Munich area to watch the finals in a fan zone somewhere.

We have been sitting on the couch, watching the games and the German channels, kicking ourselves for booking our Germany/Italy vacation for August instead of June, because the atmosphere looks so great there right now. Once Germany won today, we had to go for it.

Texasaggie, I'm not going, but I'll try to squeeze as many details out of him as possible to post back here.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 02:57 PM
hsv

lvk,

do have fun on your trip - and seriously, should you have ways to secure another ticket, I am in on this anytime (at almost any price)!