Venice - What not to miss?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked a question about Vienna yesterday and the answers I got were great that I thought I would give it a shot for the next city I would be visiting on my honeymoon.

I went through the guidebooks and threads on here and thought I would ask the following question:

If you had to pick one sightseeing location only in Venice which place would it be? Also, if you have any details about the location feel free to include them.

I would appreciate any feedback. I will be there for three days. Two falling on a weekend.

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 08:03 AM

I would definitely say taking the water taxi (not a gondola --they're a giant rip-off) down the Grande Canal from the train station to St. Mark's place, and then walking around there. The "one sightseeing location" would be St. Mark's square/place/whatever, but how you get there (along the canal) is just as important! I'm actually sitting at work with a bunch of photos of my husband & me in Venice in 2004.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 08:16 AM

St. Marks. Go inside. Pay the money to see the alterpiece and to go upstairs to the museum.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:05 AM

Are you interested in Renaisance art? If so: Santa Maria Gloriosa (aka the Frari), Scuola Grande San Rocco (right around the campo from Frari - Tintoretto's tour de force), Scuola Grande dei Carmini (Tiopolo - right arount the campo from Scuola Rocco)Chiesa San Sebastiano (all Veronese, all the time), San Trovaso (if you can find it open, there are 5 Titians). Sorry this is more than one suggestion but it's impossible for me to choose between these few!
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
the Grand Canal (hop a vaporetto for a bargain priced "tour&quot
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:42 AM

Just wander aimlessly, stopping frequently for Italian treats (be they food or drink). There is no a better place to be 'lost'.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help again. I will definitly add these ideas on top of the others from different Venice threads. My fiance will probably prefer going trough a list or two instead of pages and pages of suggestions.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:53 AM
AllyPally

I went to Venice for the first time in February with husband. It was sooooo much more than we expected and we can't wait to go back.

I particularly liked wandering around Dorsoduro as it was less crowded and had a special atmosphere. We were there for Carnivale and even then we ran into hardly any crowds.

One thing I would recommend is to take a traghetto across the canal. These are a quick way to cross instead of walking to the bridges. Look out for the signs. They cost only 50 cents and I even boarded one with a dog or two! Apparently you are supposed to stand - I did for the thrill of it but no one seemed to mind if you perched. The trip lasts only a minute but there is something about standing in a gondola, gliding across the canal...

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:54 AM

Ride the #1 vaporetto, the full trip.

Visit St. Marks Basilica -- also, as you wander around and get warm and tired, stop by whichever church you happen along--each is interesting and amazing in its own way. It also gives you a breather.

Walk away from St Marks -- straight back is fine--and experience some of the quieter neighborhoods.

Have gelato at every possible opportunity.

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:22 AM

to the top
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:30 AM

Don't have too many plans.

You will see all the "must see's" in Venice just by being there. Put on a good pair of shoes and wander. Stop for food and drink when you feel like it and enjoy the atmosphere. Don't over think Venice.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:42 AM

Hi Nuttela ~

Tavernetta San Maurizio (San Marco 2619 – phone 041 5285240)

Do not miss the vegetable risotto, hee.

And don't forget to just wander. Wander in the early morning, wander late at night, just wander.

Have a wonderful journey, Tiff
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 08:15 AM

Definitely agree, Salty-do not overthink Venice-just wander around and get to know some of the campos in Venice away from San Marco to see what Venetian life is all about.

But see San Marco-particularly now, with its newest not-to-be-missed sight-the magnficent "TORRE D'OROLOGIO" (clock tower) uncovered, in all its 500 year old restored glory-(the huge ceremony marking its completion held just a couple of weeks ago in Piazza San Marco -with fireworks!) with the golden winged lion of St. Mark's at the top-and its zodiac clock-which should be pointed now at "Cancro" (Cancer the Crab).

I hope to get there when it is pointing at "Vergine" (Virgo)
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 09:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
the plaza at San Marcos
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 03:26 PM

I'm not an "art" person... but the Frari is always on my list in Venice. If you want to visit islands... Torcello is my choice... wonderful Byzantine church there. Few tourists wander around the Arsenale area.... that can be very interesting.
And.. if it is a lovely warm evening... go lateish to San Marco and have a sambucco and listen to the orchestras. The cost will be outlandish.... but it IS the equivalent of theatre!