Search

Unsure about Mimosa Hotel Rome

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unsure about Mimosa Hotel Rome

Hello all,

I ended up booking a lovely apartment in Trastevere for 9 nights and needed somewhere for another two. As I wanted around 100 euro a night for three, I tried heaps of bed and breakfasts and some cheap hotels. All of them were booked or did not repsond.

I had already done some research into convents, so I called around 6 of them that were central and had reasonable or no curfews and all of them were booked. The good news was they understood my italian.

I then phoned Mimosa and they had a room. I have searched through the various discussion forums and is seems that people are divided over staying at the Mimosa. Everyone agrees it is in a fantastic location, but the consensus seems to be that the service and amenities have gone down over the years.

I told the Mimosa I would take the room as I was just pleased to find a vacancy. I have not yet confirmed with my credit details as in the meantime I have been offered a lovely bed and breakfast by Sleep in Italy. The b&b is not on the website as it is new on their books but the photos she sent were really attractive. The hotel was 144 euro per night and the b&b is 130 eruo per night, both with breakfast.

I have not been able to confirm with Sleep in Italy that I will take the b&b. I have sent an email and called three times yesterday, plus left a couple of messages. My dilema is, shall I continue with my booking at the Mimosa or wait and take the Trastevere b&b. I am worried that if I wait, the Mimosa room will go then I will be back to looking. I have been looking for accomodation for three weeks solid. I need the rooms for the 19th and 20th of October. The Mimosa room has a bathroom only and is very basic whereas the b&b has every amenity you could possibly ask for.

Has anyone dealt with Sleep in Italy or stayed at the Mimomosa? Are Sleep in Italy reliable and what are your views of Mimosa. I am travelling with my 22 and 19 year old chidlren.

Many thanks
Monda
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:51 AM

Monda,

I would not hold my breath waiting for small hotels or B&B's to return international calls - unfortunately YOU have to call until you hook up with them. Emails also are often unanwered - again you need to connect by telephoning. I know this is frustrating.

TheMimosa and the SleepinItaly B&B both sound like good options. As it's for only a fraction of your stay, I would just go with whoever confirms back with you first.

<i>I tried heaps of bed and breakfasts and some cheap hotels. All of them were booked or did not repsond.</i>

Again, regarding the ones that didn't respond... emailing is the least likely way to connect up - did you CALL all of them?

Good luck!
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Hi Bardo1,

I called sleep in italy three times, left two messages and emailed. I called the hotel and they answered but I did email them and asked if the room had a bath or amenitities and they responded with the room is clean and basic.

Monda
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 09:36 AM

Monda - This seems to be the most recent of your threads so let's try to keep this one to the top because it gets really confusing when there are two threads from the same person on the same topic going at the same time!

It seems you have found a great apartment for 9 nights. Well done! For two more nights does it really matter is it is not absolutely perfect - can you 'make do' for those 2 nights - after all you won't be there much during the daytime will you?

SleepinItaly seem to be a well-respected company here and on other websites - I have booked an apartment with them that looks lovely but has no reviews. Bearing in mind their seemingly good reputation I would have little hesitation going with them. Hell, it's only for 2 nights anyway, and at that price for 3 of you you can't be too fussy.

In the past - BF (Before I discovered Fodors) - I booked and stayed at apartments in other European cities without any recommendations or reciews, and didn't really have any problems so I wouldn't worry too much.

BTW, I am in Rome 15-21 October with a 15yo daughter. If you would consider a GTG over coffee, wine, limoncello etc, post back!

Whatever, I hope you have a GREAT TRIP!

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 01:46 AM
Original Poster

Hi Julia t,

A GTG sounds great. Give me a few days that are good for you and we will work around them. We plan to do lots of day trips while we are in Rome but my two will most likely want a day off in between. Any ideas where to meet?

Cheers
Monda
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 03:21 AM

Monda

We have no plans for Rome! No set plans that is. I hope to hear next month if we have a Scavi tour, and if so I will then apply for Borghese tickets.

Obviously there are many things we want to see, but knowing we can only see a fraction of them in our limited time means we are fairly relaxed as to what we do see.

We are considering a day trip, maybe Ostia Antica, but more likely out to one or more of the Castelli Romani - Frascati appeals.

Anyway, probably the best thing to do is get in touch nearer the time you are going, and we can narrow things down a bit. My email is

[email protected]

Also you will be in Rome before me so you can scout out a nice place to meet! We are staying near the Pantheon. I'll give you my cellphone number by email so we can get in touch that way if necessary.

Look forward to hearing from you soon, and meeting you in just 2 months time!