Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone stayed at a bed and breakfast in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have searched this site for bed and breakfasts in Rome but there is only one request and no responses. Do people generally prefer hotels in Rome (or anywhere) or are the bed and breakfasts not reliable? I find the prices exceptional for a room which looks much like a hotel room except it's in a private home. Per night costs are as low as 54 Euros per night for a double which is hard to find in a hotel. Any info? Thanks and as always much appreciated. Lily
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 02:06 PM

Not a response (sorry!), but I'll tag along with the same question...
Particulary the B&B Assoc of Rome has a couple that look interesting. But what concerns me is the freedom, or lack thereof - to come and go as you please, keep odd hours, take multiple showers in a day, use the kitchen to eat in, etc. While I know each apartment/owner is different, I'm looking forward to hearing some personal experiences, thanks!
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 03:08 PM

Now, I tend to like B&B's for that "live like the locals feeling". So last year I researched the Rome BB association's offerings before deciding on renting an inexpensive little apartment instead. Why? two big reasons:

1. Many Roman B&Bs tend to charge by the PERSON, rather than the room. Which means that, while 54 euros is nice for one person, 108 euros for two people seems to me a ripoff. You can find so many better places to stay for that price!

2. You really have to know Rome - a lot of the BBs, I would dare say the majority I looked at, are quite far off the beaten path.
IMHO, staying with friends who live far from the center of Rome is one thing - but having to pay 60 or 100 euros for the privilege of a long commute is something altogether different.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 07:51 AM

I love the Hotel Teatro Pcae, centrally located, $130 per night per ROOM (two adults and one three year old) with breakfast delivered to your room free. They are very friendly, very helpful and made our experience wonderful. You really want a clean, safe, happy place to stay and won't really spend much time IN your room after all, there are plenty GREAT places to eat in all price ranges. Consider B & B if you don't need a pool, otherwise hotels are just expensive!
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 11:29 AM

Isabela,
What apartment did you rent in Rome? I am going in late April and have narrowed it down to 7 apartments (all under $1000US for 8 nights!!). I'd love to hear about your experience.
Thanks!
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 01:52 PM

Hi Trave11ler,

about that apartment....
I would recommend it if it had stayed the same price. Unfortunately it has lost its value for us.

at the time when we went, in June 2004, it was only 80 euros a night. And the area was fantastic, only a few minutes away from Trevi. Sometimes I've made such great finds I haven't shared them because of fearing price increase, lack of availability, etc.

Unfortunately, I went back to the site today and my "inexpensive little apartment" is now up to 100 euros a night! I will give you the link, but in my opinion it's not worth it anymore.

It's very spartan and lacks AC (didn't even have a fan when we went!), the washing machine is broken, but we thought hey, to stay near Trevi for 80 euros ain't bad. The other thing, it's a HUGE place. Technically I think it could sleep 4.

http://www.romeaparthotels.com/properties/470.htm

If I were you, try surfing the site and maybe you'll discover another place. The person I dealt with, Ginevra, was very professional if not abrupt. But everything went smooth with them, so although I have mixed feelings about the value of this property at this point, do consider the idea of apartments. There ARE still some for under 100e.

I think it's all a matter of adding the pros and cons of each potential place vs the cost and coming up with a reasonable compromise.

The gems are out there, and it sure sounds like you've found some already. Good luck.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice. I have booked at the Nicolas Inn for 4 nights in May at 120 Euros per night including a continental breakfast. Good reviews on Slow Trav and this website - still a bed and breakfast but not in a private home, good location, and reasonable price for us. I took into account your advice about lack of freedom and costs per person in a private B&B. I'll let you know how the Nicolas Inn turns out!