Reload this Page >

United Airlines - anyone else booked?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 07:05 AM
jett

Hi:<BR>I am really worried about the fate of United Airlines; My party of 5 are booked for travel to Paris in two weeks - anyone else??<BR>Do you think they will shutdown operation without prior notice to those ticketed passengers?<BR>I appreciate any information to calm me down.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 07:35 AM
xxx

No, I do not think that they will shut down operations without prior notice.<BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:07 AM
Nancy

Look for an archive articles on Ansett Australia Airlines, they shut down operations basically over night in September 2001 and left passengers stranded. Many people are not aware ot his it happened the day before the September 11 attacks in New York and DC.<BR><BR>Not that I thikn UA will do this, but it does happen. If you are using a travel agent or tour, I would seek some assurance from them that they have made alternative bookings or arrangements.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:26 AM
beachbum

UAL won't shut down. If they do file for bankruptcy, it'll be a Chapter 13 reorganization. They may cut unprofitable routes, but I can't imagine they would cease operations.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:35 AM
will

I agree with beachbum. They will likely cut some routes. I would think that it'd be highly unlikely that they'd discontinue service to Paris. You might run the risk of being re-routed, but they'd surely continue to serve Paris from one of their hubs.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:39 AM
xxx

United Airlines executive management will be next in a loooonng line of corporate thieves who make off with millions while leaving their employees and customers in the lurch. The current political environment is giving the green light for this kind of behavior.<BR><BR>Anyway, would you really want to fly on a plane that was serviced by a disgruntled mechanic who got his first raise in eight years last year, only to be told this that this that he needs to concede a 7% pay cut and four days of nonpaid vacation? And the stewardesses who just accepted a pay cut so the management can earn more profits? <BR><BR>Happy flying. Don't say you weren't warned.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:42 AM
Grasshopper

Warned by xxx? Now THERE's a tip I can't pass up! And by the way, xxx.....they are called &quot;flight attendants&quot;.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:49 AM
yyy

Flight attendants? Better than over-the-hill bitter old hags who have no business in the service industry and should have retired twenty years ago.<BR><BR>xxx is right. United brass is poised for a ripoff.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 09:14 AM
k

Jett - ignore the unhelpful few.<BR><BR>I agree with the helpful ones that United will not shut down operations. They may cancel some routes, but to Paris it should not be a problem. If you are concerned, just call the airline a week before to ensure the flight is still going as planned.<BR><BR>Karen

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 09:20 AM
Mina

I'm on a Paris flight on United too, but mine's not until January (with a return in March!). I'm not worried about it. If, god forbid, the flight gets canceled, I'll find another way there. However, I have the luxury of time on my hands...I can see why it would be stressful if you have a preplanned trip.<BR><BR>But Jett, I really think you will be fine. They're simply not going to fold in the next two weeks.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 09:26 AM
Peter

I called the airline directly. If they do fall into bankruptcy they will be protected and operate pretty much as usual for a few months.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 10:08 AM
guy

They sure as hell better not stop flying, at least untill I,m back from my trip to Italy in March/April. Oh well, at least if I have to be stuck somewhere, Italy is the place to be!!!!

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 10:36 AM
x

Naturally, UAL will continue to fly, regardless. If they file, then they can wave goodbye to that 1.8 billion Federal loan guarantee they're working so hard to secure. If their mechanics have any sense, they'll take the wages cuts, and join hands with the rest of UA&quot;s employees. If UAL suddenly stopped flying, which you say is your concern, their day as an airline would be OVER, for good. No one is ever going to buy a ticket from any airline that suddenly shuts its doors. That is not the path to survival. Go, and do not worry! UAL is not going the way of Midway! And if they do, you don't want to wisk your life with such a dumbed-down organization. The skies are still there, just not so friendly right now.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 12:14 PM
jett

Thank you - to those who responded SENSIBLY; words of wisdom really means well.<BR>I greatly appreciate it.<BR><BR><BR>