Reload this Page >

United does not allow back to backs..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:38 AM
sister

Listen up people. United is going after customers who issue back to back tickets even when purchasing from two different web sites. That is, buy one ticket through ua.com and another through Orbitz or the like. They say they will cancel the reservation and if they catch you, they will make you pay full coach fares. United is hurting for money and is aggressively pursuing offenders.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 01:39 PM
United's Answer

So use UA for one ticket and another airline for the 2nd, until the airlines start cross checking, which will probably happen eventually.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Just where..

"Sister," just where do you get your information? And how on earth do they track their millions of passengers to find out who booked back-to-back? I think you are just a self-righteous finger-shaker who wishes someone would crack down on this because it somehow bothers you.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 01:31 PM
y

Actually, it is not all that difficult for them to write a query against their database to do this. Heck, if Googol can carve through millions of sites in a fraction of a second, United can certainly do it with a background batch program...

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 06:30 PM
xxx

NEWS - Airlines<BR><BR>United 'backs' up warning with debit memos (6/28/2002)<BR><BR>By Jerry Limone <BR><BR>CHICAGO -- United Airlines warned travel agencies and their corporate clients last month that there would be a crackdown on back-to-back ticketing. <BR>However, some agencies received more than a warning. <BR><BR>They got hefty debit memos from the airline for back-to-backs issued over the past several months. <BR><BR>Agencies contacted by Travel Weekly were charged anywhere from $50,000 to $300,000 by United. <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR> <BR>

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 08:21 PM
Mark

Okay, just one more reason not to fly United.<BR><BR>Frankly, I'd be inclined to consider suing them on this one if I had the time and money. It's simply stupid to penalize someone for failing to use the second half of a ticket, which is essentially what they are doing, no matter what their motivation is.<BR><BR>I paid for a round-trip ticket and didn't use the second half. I paid for another round-trip ticket and didn't use the second half of that one, either. My ticket, my decision, and in my opinion, absolutely none of their business. "Literally."<BR><BR>

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 08:06 AM
a Travel Professional

As much as I agree with the above post, it is in their ticketing rules that this practice is illegal. Every travel agency knows it.<BR>

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 08:28 AM
Doc

I am sorry, aTP, but choice of words is very important here. The practice is not illegal, as it is not against any laws. It is against the airlines RULES which is a whole diffrent matter.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 09:50 AM
notafreqflier

So, for the travel-illiterates among us, what's a back-to-back?<BR>Thanks.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 10:06 AM
simple

UA could force TA not to do that, but let's face it folks, what can they do to us after the fact, sue us? TA or Corp TA know and have to or should play by their rules, we as individuals don't, so don't worry about it. Get on the net or phone and book as many B-B as you want.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 01:17 PM
chuck

A back to back is booking two tickets, and using on the first leg of each to get a better fare. FOr example, I want to fly Dallas to Detroit, MOnday through Friday, I call NW..they give me a fare of 1300.00. I think to myself, "that's a high fare! I thought I saw a fare advertised for 211 round trip!!" I do a little research and find the 211.00 round trip fare, and book one ticket DFW-DTW on NW with Northwest. Then I use Travelocity to book a DTW-DFW ticket round trip on NW...my trip ticket is now 422.00 , instead of 1300...look how much I've saved! BUT! The airlines are tracking back to backs. Even using different web sites, sources, airline sites..doesn't matter. I've been told they will hunt you down. I don't know if they can come after a person, after the fact, but I wouldn't want to get yanked from the gate and made to pay 800.00 difference. Our little trick has been exposed, travelers!

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 02:59 PM
btob

Until the airlines start sharing their data bases there is no way you will be caught using 2 different carriers. When all but one carrier has gone belly up, then we can stop doing the b to b's.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 04:02 PM
elseone

Chuck, no they cannot come after you after the fact, other than to do something to any frequent flyer account. But they can deny you boarding until you pay the "real" fare. Once the flight has concluded you are in the clear (save the FF issue).