Reload this Page >

What would you do with USAir miles?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 03:14 PM
x

I've got enough miles for my trip to Europe this fall. However, the free flight I can get is nowhere near ideal in terms of the convenience and routing I can get if I pay for a different airline and save my miles for next time. But I'm afraid if I wait, my miles will become null and void because of their financial situation. Opinions please!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Christine

I think USAir will either somehow stay in business or acquired by another airline who will in turn honor all the frequent miles. USAir is so dominant here in Philadelphia that I can't imagine it disappearing. Of course no one knows what exactly will happen, but I keep my fingers crossed. I kind of like it - not only because of many miles I have, but because its one of the best US airlines out there in business.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 05:20 AM
gail

Don't think anyone has the real answer to this one (except maybe TV psychic Miss Cleo, but I think she is in jail). We have mega-miles that we were hoping to use for family trip to someplace in Europe next summer. If airline folds, I worry that it will get sold in pieces, and then miles will probably be worthless. If someone takes it over essentially intact, you probably get to keep miles. On a recent USAirways flight I overheard flight attendants commenting on the increase in number of people in first class - probably using up miles on either flights or upgrades.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:33 AM
RnR

I can't tell you, but here's what I'm doing: I have 25,000 FF miles committed for SF (it's nice they will let me to fly into SFO and return from LAX). Then I'm also committing 60,000 to Alitalia, their partner, for Venice. US Airways will also accept my AmEx points. This airline is probably headed for Chapter 11 protection - they are defaulting on airplane payments (see today's media) in an attempt to conserve cash - which the analysts say the ailrine must do in order to have any chance to survive. Other analysts say the airline is well into their restructuring, and negotiations apparently will seek to renegotiate with the unions and others. Obviously what can one do except to pretend this airline will be around, and go ahead and commit miles to future travel, as though everything were alright. What choice does one have?

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Richard

USAir will be or should be toast. I object to putting any more taxpayer dollars into this bottomless pit. Management is overpaid and most of the employees are unwilling to take pay cuts. Time for them to go if they can't compete. no matter how big ther are in Philly

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 06:14 PM
x

RnR, what do you mean by "commit" miles to Alitalia? I have 60,000 that I can use with them, but is there a way to get a voucher for travel without booking my flight just yet?

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 06:30 PM
love2travel

use them quickly.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 11:38 AM
RnR

I'm unaware of a voucher for FF miles. Perhaps someone else has an answer. All I know is I have to commit the miles exactly when I make the reservation. I've used FF miles many times - it always works that way - but perhaps there's something about the process I don't know