Unique and Fun in Barcelona

Feb 26th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Unique and Fun in Barcelona

I am leaving in 11 days for a trip to rome, venice, barcelona and paris. It will be my best friends 30th birthday while in barcelona and i want to treat her to something unique and memorable for her birthday...All suggestions are welcome! Thank You
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:09 AM
sjj

How about Gaudi architecture, e. g. the Sagra Familia, the Casa Mila, and the Park Guell? It's inexpensive, it's unique, and it's memorable.
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:21 AM

You must got to SAGARDI(one of the oldest tapas/wine bar places in Barcelona.)Address-Argenteria 62-8003

There is a restaurant attached that was more expensive but the actual tapas bar was fabulous and unique. It has been featured on some video on Barcelona(maybe Rudy's).I have been in lots of other tapas places but this is really great!
Anyway, you walk into this particular tapas bar and the actual bar is loaded with every imaginable tapas you can imagine with a big toothpick through it. You order your drink(they also have a white wine in cask that is devine),take a plate and pick out what you want. You pay afterwards by how many toothpicks on your plate(and your honestly). I had about 7 different types(seafood,veg,etc.) and it was so filling. The tapas are about 1 euro 50 apiece. There is an outside area with twinkly lights that was delightful to sit and enjoy.It is in the older area where the sea captains used to live and there are alot of cute shops and restaurants within the area.

I just went to Barcelona last month for the first time and loved it so much that I am gonna start flying there for work for frequently-right up there with my favs,Rome and Paris!! Have fun!
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:57 AM

Dutyfree - was SAGRAD in the Barceloneta area? out by the water? Sounds wonderful! I want to put it in my list for my May visit.
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:11 AM

One man's unique and unusual is another man's arrest record. Could you be more specific?
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:58 AM

Sounds good Dutyfree. I've added Sagard to my Barcelona list--also going in May--is it difficult to find this tapas/wine bar?
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:55 PM

Also going to Barcelona in March, can you provide some directions to this tapas bar? Thanks.
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:16 PM

The name of the place is SAGARDI located in the Barri Gotic area. The closest metro stop is Jaume, I believe then walk down the street on Argenteria and you will see it on the right side before the big church.

It is a two part place located in a 16th century building-one part is the bar area with the kegs of spanish white wine and tapas and the other side is an interesting restaurant that is supposed to be quite good with open grill,etc. but was more expensive for a sit down meal.

You walk into the bar and it is considerably long with platters of various tapas piled on top of bread along with constant new goodies coming directly out of the kitchen. Some of the hot ones coming out of the kitchen are passed around by servers as you drink your wine and once again you remember to keep all of your toothpicks to let then know how much you have eaten.

I think that I saw this place on Rudy Marx(the travel writer out of Seattle that has the more upscale travel shows as opposed to Rick Steves?) and I also believe that maybe Rick had something about it in his Spain book. They do have a website-www.sagardi.com

Aduchamp-as I travel overseas everyweek I usually just chose a restaurant as I go past it. This tapas bar caught my eye on the "Rudy video" and when I asked about it at the museum that afternoon,I received numerous raves that I must go to this place.After going there, it is now on my places to return when I am in Barcelona because I thought that the tapas were some of the best I have ever eaten and priced fairly.

Anyway, if you are all going in March-look for me there on the night of 10th or 11th!
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

THANK YOU! for the tapas suggestion...I am also looking for maybe something adventurous or out of the norm. Open to anything really from a place to relax and get massages to doing something extreme like skydiving. (thats just a range for to see my willingness to experience)