Uffizi Reservation Warning and Question

Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Uffizi Reservation Warning and Question

Warning: Don't dilly-dally on getting your reservation.
I just called (March 22) 011-39-055-294-883, according to Ira's instructions and asked for a reservation for May 9 or 10 for the Ufizzi in Florence. The English-speaking operator (heavy accent and I had to ask her to repeat several times, but she was gracious) told me that they are fully booked for those days. She said I should call back next week, perhaps they would hav a cancellation. However, she looked further and said they just had a cancellation for 8:15. I grabbed it.
Now the question: In my excitement, I forgot about L'Acadamia. Will it be easier to get in there? Dare I wait until I get there? Should I e-mail the hotel and ask them to make the reservation?

Vera
Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:14 AM

Yes, it will be easier. I went 2 years ago in late June without reservations and waited in line about 10 minutes. They did require exact change and people were leaving the line to get the correct amount.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:15 AM
Neopolitan

I have seen bigger lines at the Accademia than at the Uffizi. But we entered Accademia twice very quickly in the late afternoon. I'm not sure if it was just our luck or if normally there is little or no line there late in the afternoon.

Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:16 AM
ira

Hi Vera,

Call them back right now.

Mar 22nd, 2006, 08:38 AM

Vera-just wanted to let you know if you are interested that there is a really fascinating museum right behind the Uffizi that is two floors and is the "science museum" of Florence. It contains everything from Galileo's finger in a jar to all of the medical equipment from the Renaissance(really interesting what they had to put up with) to the maps/globes of Galileo's,etc.Its right next to the San Croce church and behing the Uffizi. You could take anywhere from a half to an hour to tour it but well worth it. I would also add that if you are doing "David"-take the 20 minute bus from there up to Fiesole (suburb of Florence). It has ancient Roman ruins including an ampitheatre and a view looking out over Florence and countryside to die for. There are numerous restaurants up there which is well worth the 20 minute trip and the public bus fee of about a dollar.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:37 AM

Ditto on Dutyfree's Science Museum tip.

It's the 'Museo di Storia della Scienza'.

Galileo's 2 telescope lens (now in an ivory frame) that he discovered the 4 largest Moons of Jupiter with are very much worth seeing.
His discovery of moons circling another planet was Earth shattering news back then.
I recall the Church didn't like it very much .
Regards, Walter
Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

I see that I did not proof my note. Murdered Accademia. All day I've been feeling foolish because I forgot about Accademia but also because the little Italian I know just slipped right out of my head. I wanted to ask the time in Italian and say grazie--totally froze!
Thanks for the rec. on the Science museum and the Fiesole jaunt. We're only in Florence for two days, so I will be cramming lots in.

Vera
Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:45 PM

Museo di Storia della Scienza is an interesting museum and really easy to get in.

I think you should call again and make reservations for the Accademia. When we went last year, we had reservations for 5pm, and when we got there, there was this really huge lineup and the museum was closing sometime soon (not sure of the timings). I don't think too many people in the queue actually got in. We were glad we had reservations. Seeing David was the highlight of our time in Florence.