Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Two weeks in Paris: How's our "game plan"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:06 PM
Howard

To us, one of great joys of going to Paris for 2 weeks is that we don't have to sit down and plan out every day. (Another of the great joys is that we only have to unpack our suitcases once!) I've got tons of solid information and insights, thanks in good part, to material from and opinions expressed on this forum. Thus, our plans:<BR>*We know pretty much what sites we want/hope to see, which museums are on our A list, etc.....but we've mapped out very few daily itineraries so far.<BR>*We plan to do a lot of walking.<BR>*We plan to spend a lot of time just sitting in cafes, parks, etc., just enjoying Paris.<BR>*We plan to take 3 day trips (Giverny, Chartres and Versailles) on our own. The weather will determikne which days we go, though we know we will do all 3 on weekdays (to avoid the crowds) and will spread them out over the 2 weeks. (We've decided to postpone the Loire Valley for the next trip to France.)<BR>*We know what evening activities we hope/would like to do.<BR>The question is: Are we on the right track with this "loose" itinerary? All suggestions welcomed!

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:10 PM
Rex

There ought to come a time in everyone's life to be able to say: "haven't we earned the opportunity to enjoy Paris like this?" Sounds like it's "Howard time".<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:17 PM
Bob Brown

I think your "take it easy" approach is the way to go. Paris has a way of putting surprise in your path and you need to leave room to enjoy the unexpected. For example, one Sunday, we set out for Musee d'Orsay. As we walked toward the bus stop on Blvd Raspail, we encountered a huge farmers' market. I later learned that it sets up along the street every Sunday in the growing season. We became so engrossed in the market that our arrival at the museum was delayed considerably and something of lesser interest was trimmed from the schedule. <BR><BR>I think it well to plan, and to have the various attractions arranged in priority order. If something better comes up, then you can dump a lower priority entry on the list.<BR><BR>I also recommend a visit to Vaux le Vicomte, one of the most architecturally distinguished chateaux in the Paris area. You can check it our on the web and form your own opinion.<BR><BR>

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:19 PM
David

Howard<BR><BR>Go for it.<BR><BR>That's how my wife and I "plan" every trip we take. Simply do what you want when you want and don't be rushed.<BR><BR>Enjoy Paris.<BR><BR>David<BR><BR>"Travel light and with a smile and an open mind"

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:18 PM
Ron

Sounds like the perfect plan--but I would like to second Bob's recommendation about Vaux-le-Vicomte, which is the best day trip we have taken so far. The chateau and its gardens will rival anything you will see in the Loire.

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:31 PM
tracy

Great planning. Set some routines for the day like having breakfast in the same area each day. Make it count and dont be rushed. Each day will then start familar and who knows, you may make some friends. You have time to really enjoy your down time.

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:33 PM
Howard

Thanks for the encouraging responses thus far. Though we're experienced travelers, this is the first we've ever spent more than 4 or 5 days in one location. So, this will be a new experience. From the beginning, we felt that Paris "deserved" at least this much time!<BR>Yes, Bob Brown, I know well your postings about Vaux le Vicompte. In fact, because of what you have posted previously, I've already done some research on the site...and hey, who knows, we still could get there. Heck, I said we have a "loose" itinerary!

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:39 PM
rand

Howard I like your attitude. <BR>When dor and I travel, we have a list of 'would likes'. If we see 60% of them so what? We have still seen 100% of what we saw. We travel with no dinner reservations. Can anybody imagine going hungry in Paris or anywhere for that matter? Since we are 'country bumpkins', the idea of two weeks straight in a major city is a little overwhelming. At our stage of life it is less stressful for me to be driving French country roads with my slightly dislexic navigator dor reading the map than to stay in the noise of a city. To that end, I suggest the possibility of a couple of nights in Chartres or Versailles mid trip to decompress. Either are simple trips out of the city. If you are from New York however, completely ignore that suggestion as you will not understand what I am rambling on about.

Old May 1st, 2002, 07:57 PM
joy

I feel your joy<BR>

Old May 2nd, 2002, 04:02 AM
amy

Oh, did you pick the right city in which to do this pace!<BR><BR>Once when we spent a week in Paris, my youngest kid came down with a respiratory flu. When a friend commented later that it was a shame our trip was ruined, I responded, "Ruined? Not a bit!" My little one was absolutely comfortable sitting in her favorite cafe watching the world go by out on the street. <BR><BR>At this pace, you will get the opportunity to find that favorite cafe, your favorite tabac, your favorite patisserie, etc. Now that's travel!<BR><BR>

Old May 2nd, 2002, 04:22 AM
MaryC

Howard, my dream is to someday do exactly as you plan to do. My past few trips have been so short that I've had no choice but to itinerize.<BR><BR>Meander, meander!! : )<BR><BR>Have a wonderful time in Paris!!!!!!

Old May 2nd, 2002, 05:30 AM
AC

Howard:<BR>How I envy you! I hope my next trip to Paris can be of the "meandering kind"<BR><BR>Have a wondeful time. NYC will miss you!

Old May 2nd, 2002, 05:48 AM
Janice

Perfect! Go to Juveniles wine bar, on the Rue Richelieu, tell Tim his analyst says hello. Food is great, wine is out of the world, Tim is a riot.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:15 AM
Barb

Howard--Your idea of a 2 week trip sounds marvelous! I usually have so much I want to cram into a visit, that we stay on the go. My husband and I took a 2 week trip to Italy in March, and although there was a huge list of "must-sees", I tried to ease the pace by planning a slow day after a full day, and allowed time for browsing, strolling, etc. One planning tip that I have used for several trips is to print (or buy) a calendar for the days of the trip. I write in the activities that are a fixed date(opera or other scheduled items); then using pencil, I divide up the absolute musts and make a note of which sights work best on Tuesday, Weds, etc, keeping in mind attraction closing days. Usually I choose a particular neighborhood for each day, and then we fill in as desired. One of our favorites in Florence was visiting the Mercato Centrale. We love to shop and cook at home, so it was very entertaining to see the colorful, well-stocked market and to buy a few things(bread, cheese, ham, fruit) for a leisurely picnic. We enjoyed that as much as some of the restaurant meals, and it gave me a chance to practice my newly-learned Italian. It was great fun talking to the vendors, especially asking about items we weren't familiar with. The other thing I do before a trip is to get a laminated map and use small colored stick-on dots to mark the key highlights. That way, I have a very visual overview of the areas we want to visit, and spend less time backtracking.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 12:52 PM
Howard

Once more, I must thank you all for responding. I'm not sure which I appreciate more--the quality of your responses or the warmth of your responses!<BR>I will include this thread with my A list of materials to take with me next week. (My wife and I made a deal: She take all the clothes she wants and I can take as much of my research as I want!)<BR>A couple responses:<BR>Rand, I'm from New York...but I still understand what you're saying. However, I look at it this way, if we're able to find peaceful oases in New York, I think we can do the same in Paris!<BR>Barb, my wife and I marveled at how much your planning method so closely parallels what we plan to do this weekend! Your idea about the colored dots on the laminated map is a good one!<BR>PS: I will post a report when we return.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 01:33 PM
Deborah

You might want to check the fountain schedule Last year when we were in Paris the fountains at Versailles were only flowing on Sunday, they really are beautiful so you may want to go during the week and later on Sunday just to see the fountains, it's an easy ride on the metro. Have fun, wish I were going again this year.