undiscovered gem of a Paris day trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's an undiscovered gem of a day trip from Paris for those who have already visited the better-known destinations(Versailles, Giverny, etc.)It's the town of Conflans St. Honorine, which rises on steep riverbanks from the Seine and Oise Rivers to the northwest of Paris(the name "Conflans" refers to the confluence of the two rivers).
It's a quaint old town that's home to a fascinating community of people whose lives revolve around the barge traffic on the two rivers. There are dozens of big barges, two and three abreast, tied up along the waterfront, and as you walk along you can see people tending small gardens on their decks, hanging out laundry, or dining alfresco. One double-sized bargehas been converted into a church and community center, which you are welcome to visit. At one end of the waterfront, there are several dozen barges that are permanently moored, and used as retirement housing for former bargemen and their families.
Sunday is an especially nice day to visit, as there is a Sunday morning open-air market on the waterfront promenade. There are a number of pleasant cafes and restaurants nearby, most with outdoor seating. After exploring the waterfront you can wind your way up a series of footpaths and staircases to the upper part of the town where there is a nice overlook and a museum on the history of the barge trade. Also during the summer months there are boat trips on the Seine offered on weekend afternoons -- no reservations required -- though I've never taken one of these and to be honest I'm not sure if there's enough interesting scenery along this part of the Seine to make it worthwhile.
The great thing about Conflans is, you can get there on the RER from Paris in about 30 minutes. Take the RER "A" train in the direction of Cergy-le Haut, and get off at Conflans-Fin d'Oise. It'll take you about 10 mins. to walk from the RER station back along the riverfront to the main part of town where the barges are. And unless you happen to run into me and my friends (I'm lucky enough to live nearby, and whenever I have people visiting, I always take them!), I can just about guarantee you won't see any foreign tourists in Conflans.
Enjoy!
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 03:22 PM

Thanks, Lafitte (Pirate? Maison?)

This sounds like a very interesting and out-of-the-usual thing to do while in or near Paris. It's going on my ongoing list.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 05:35 PM

This is fabulous. I read about this somewhere (maybe in "The Secret Life of the Seine"?)and thought it would make a wonderful daytrip. I'm going to be in Paris on Easter Sunday - you don't suppose the market would be open then, do you? I think I'll save it for my summer or fall trip. Sounds like a great photo-op as well. Thank you!
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 05:40 PM

Ah, just the kind of thing I'm always looking for. Spending 12 nights in Paris this summer, and we've done all the major stuff. While we enjoy just relaxing in Paris, this kind of day trip is just what I love finding.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 05:42 PM
ira

Dear m,

This is about the only time that I am pleased that someone sent in an advert.

May your tribe increase.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 06:48 PM

I've read this GREAT tip three times now and I can't for the life of me figure out what Ira thinks is advertising about it.

Sounds very charming and special.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 06:54 PM
rex

It's not totally unkown. It's an overnight stop on the Paris-to-Normandy tour offered by Grand Circle Tours. But I guess they don't use any hotel rooms (they stay on the boat, I presume). I actually don't know much about these river cruise/tours and how they allocate time for activities "on shore". Can you walk the town late at night or early in the morning on one of these?

It is an interesting part of France to get to know better.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 06:58 PM

So much for not seeing tourists . . . The place will be hopping with Fodorites now.

It does sound interesting. Thanks.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 07:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
mlaffitte, There's s chapter ( in the book St Cirq mentioned)on Conflans-Sainte-Honorie. Is it true the Two Conflans don't think much of each other?
The Cafe L'Escale is mentioned.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 03:42 AM
rex

to Grasshopper - -

I believe that ira labels this as an advert because it fits a "pattern":

someone who has never posted here before, makes no reference to ever having read something useful here for a trip recently completed (i.e., a "lurker&quot and shows up, making this glowing post about a "little-known" place (one previous post here ever, and it's interesting how similarly it reads) - - I'm sure there might be some motivation to have it be better known...

Or maybe not...
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 05:12 AM

Here's the Tourist Office site:

http://www.tourisme.fr/office-de-tou....htm#EVENEMENT
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 05:37 AM
ira

A gold star to rex. My thinking exactly.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 06:08 AM

And it looks nice -- other than saying they lived near there -- there weas no other commercial "moment" -- my question -- is it doable by train? I know the train stops there -- trhe question is how far is the station from the town?
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 06:15 AM

Here's the town's own site:
http://www.conflans-tourisme.com/ultime/indexultime.htm

You can get there by RER as well as train.

What is interesting is that neither site has an English version -- so it *is* a bit hidden!
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Bon sang, I never dreamed an innocuous little posting about Conflans would arouse so many suspicions!
Here is how it came about...
I discovered your forum this week thanks to my sister in the U.S., who forwarded some links to me in advance of her planned visit to France this summer. Browsing through some of the posts about daytrips from Paris, I was suddenly inspired to write something about Conflans because no one seems to know about it, and it's such a special favorite of mine. So I registered and posted.
In other words, no lurking -- and certainly no advertising! -- was involved.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

...I forgot to add a wonderful French slang expression which describes my reaction to all this suspicion...

"Lachez-moi les baskets!" It means "Give me a break," or literally, "Let go of my sneakers!"
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 06:52 AM

I am staying in Condecourt during July and will have a car.....how much time would it take to get there? This sounds like fun! Also...any restaurant recommendations?
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 06:55 AM

Thanks for the tip.. we are always looking for new day trips and this sounds like it would be interesting. Are there any other market days besides Sundays? we will miss out on a Sunday in Paris both before and after our trip this year.

ANd I LOVE your " Lachez-moi les baskets...can't wait to use it on someone!!
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

To answer the preceding questions...
I'm sure there is another market day (most French towns have two per week) but don't know what it is -- if you speak a little French you could try the tourist office.
The restaurants are just simple cafes and creperies, nothing to write home about, but a place I've found particularly friendly is called the Bijou Bar. It serves midday and evening meals, is right on the main drag facing the waterfront.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 07:24 AM

mlafitte, Please don't be discouraged and don't go away! You have the makings of a very special contributor to our forum.

You might even find some apologies coming your way! (hint hint!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -