Two weeks in Italy-need your help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have recently started planning a September honeymoon in Italy. This will be our first trip to Italy and to Europe. We are definitely interested in visiting the Amalfi Coast (either Positano or Ravello), Siena, and Venice. The posts on this site have been very helpful, but I still have some questions:<BR>1) Would renting a car be the easiest way to see these 3 towns?<BR>2) I've read some posts saying it would be crazy to skip Rome on a first trip to Italy. What do you think? <BR>3) If we were to include a vist to Rome, is two weeks enough to visit all 4 towns? If necessary, I may be able to extend the trip to a third week. <BR>4) If you had to choose only one city to visit, would it be Rome or Florence and why? <BR>I would really appreciate any feedback you have for me. Thanks!<BR><BR>
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 09:18 AM

Regarding #4:<BR>If you are both major art lovers, then maybe I'd consider Florence over Rome, but otherwise -- no way!! And yes, I think it would be &quot;crazy&quot; to skip Rome on your first trip to Italy.<BR><BR>You can always go into Florence for the day from Siena and see what &quot;all the fuss is about&quot;. In fact, if you figure it out, please let me know.<BR><BR>If you can possibly extend the trip to 3 weeks, then yes! I think it is possible to visit all four cities in two weeks, but undoubtedly you would be rushed on the Amalfi coast where there is enough to do for a couple of weeks alone, and probably the greatest area to relax after the wedding. Three nights each in Rome and Venice are a minimum, but enough to get a really great flavor. Sienna would not be a major destination of mine, but could be a nice base if you plan to visit the outlying towns -- preferably with a car.<BR><BR>
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 09:22 AM
rex

There are so many ways to look at how to tackle this, and different couples need a different kind of honeymoon.<BR><BR>I think that a few days of il &quot;dolce far niente&quot; are a minimal necessity to &quot;break you in&quot; to Italy, unless by chance one of you has some background in Italian (even if you don't I'd recommend trying to learn a little, but that's another discussion for another thread).<BR><BR>I would think you can get that at Amalfi or in Siena, though I cannot speak from personal experience about going to either for a few days of nothingness. I usually do not recommend Venice as the first few days of a trip to Venice, because it is so special, it seems to me that you should see it after you have made the time zone adjustment, and are over that fatigue of the first few days. On the flip sside of the coin, I don't recommend rome as your intitial destination, unless you are very BIG city people -- because Rome is very INTENSE - - and it takes a day or two to get used to its tempo, its noise, all the people and scooters, and sensroy overload. It's a great place - - you just need to egar up for it a bit.<BR><BR>So that leaves the problem of how to connect the dots of the thre four (or even five) destinations you want to visit (especially if you extend beyond 14 days).<BR><BR>Renting a car is not the way to start this trip - - and for that reason, I might suggest that you start with Florence for two nights or perhaps even three. Then, if you really WANT to get a car, you could do that for 3-5 days, as you head towards Amalfi.<BR><BR>Maybe just skip Rome for this visit - - it will still be there, assuming you like Europe travel. Stick 1-2 days in Siena pre-Amalfi or post... and then train your way to Venice where you finish up.<BR><BR>Unless you are quite wealthy, I would recommend against a third week. This is not a cheap trip, and there are always so many things you want at the beginning of your marriage... Treat yourself with a first anniversary get-away for a week instead - - off-season, you may be surprised at how much cheaper things are (airfare, in particular).<BR><BR>Whatever your decisions, congratulations on your new life in marriage... and ...<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 09:33 AM

Hi.<BR><BR>May I suggest that you fly into Rome, spend four or five days (do NOT miss St. Peter's; even heathens will be awed), pick up your rental car and drive into Tuscany or beyond to see the places you want for a few days, then drive on to Venice for four or five days. This will allow you the flexibility you want and you'll still get to see those &quot;must see&quot; things (e.g. David). <BR><BR>It depends on what interests you, but I'd pick Rome over Florence if forced to choose.<BR><BR>Driving in Italy is a snap. Be sure to get your car at an oulying agency so the trip out of Rome won't be difficult. Once you get on the highway, it's just like home. Touring the hill country is a joy.<BR><BR>And Venice...well, Venice.....
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your responses! <BR><BR>Based on what you've told me, I think I would like to start my trip on the Amalfi coast and work my way up to Venice. <BR><BR>What are your thoughts on:<BR><BR>Beginning the trip with 4 or 5 nights on the Amalfi coast, heading to Rome for 3 nights, then to Siena for 3 nights, and wrapping up the trip in Venice for 3 or 4 nights. <BR><BR>Is this too much to take on? I still haven't ruled out skipping Rome and spending more time in the other three towns.<BR><BR>Another question...I am definitely interesting in renting a car while in Siena. Would it make sense to rent the car in Rome and drive to Siena or just rent a car in Siena? Would you leave the car in Siena and take a train to Venice or drive to Venice?<BR>
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Another thought...I am flying from the NYC area, and I want to take a direct flight both ways. It seems like it makes the most sense to fly in and out of Rome. Do you agree? If I will be flying in and out of Rome, I will spend a few days there. In this case, what town would you start with and end up with? I would prefer not to start with Rome. It seems that it may not be possible for me to include Amalfi Coast, Rome, Siena and Venice in the two week period. Other than Siena, what town would you leave off the itinerary? Please help! Thanks.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 12:04 PM

Interesting--we found Florence to be much more crowded, polluted, noisy, and traffic clogged than Rome. We thought it was because Rome has so many more sights and things to do than Florence does, so the tourists are more spread out around the city. Of course, in both cities, the 2 or 3 most popular sights are jam-packed in the summer, but overall we found Rome somewhat less hectic than Florence.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 12:05 PM

Oops, forgot what I wanted to answer--I would pick Rome over Florence. Rome has a lot more to see and do plus a lot more variety. The only exception I would make is if you are an absolute Renaissance nut, then you might take Florence over Rome.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 12:16 PM

With 2 weeks, seeing 4 destinations makes good sense. However, the most efficient itinerary would be flying into Rome and out from Venice, or vice versa. The logistics of this trip suggests starting in Venice to me. Then, you train to Florence, get your car as you leave there, and have it for Siena and Tuscany. Drive to the Amalfi coast for x days, and end in Rome. Does that make sense?
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob. What you suggested makes sense....the ONLY problem I have with the itinerary you suggested is that I can't take a direct flight from NYC to Venice (at least I don't think it's possible) and I hate the idea of a connecting flight to Italy. I would rather give up a visit to one of the towns I had thought about for this trip so I could take a direct flight both ways.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 01:11 PM

Hello,<BR><BR>You may want to consider the following:<BR><BR>Fly into and out of Rome.<BR>1 - 3 Rome, sans car. (Even though I didn't get to Rome until the 3rd trip to Italy it is a super destination that should not be missed)<BR>4 - 6 Venice, sans car.<BR>7 - 9 Sienna, with car. Day trip to Florence<BR>10 - 13 Amalfi Coast, with car.<BR>14 Return to Rome.<BR><BR>A car in Rome is unnecessary - actually a burden - and impossible in Venice. In the countryside it is a necessity to experience the wonders of Italy. <BR><BR>Many would argue it is unnecessary on the Amalfi Coast, but the flexibility it adds to visit Amalfi cities, Paestum, Pompeii, Ercolano, Caserta etc. is ideal.<BR><BR>Have a super honeymoon.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 02:56 PM

I wouldn't spend more than a day or a day and 1/2 in Venice.<BR><BR>As for your question about Rome versus Florence, it depends upon how much you prefer being in a larger city. I highly recommend that you spend at least a day or two in Rome. If you do to Florence, definitely take the time to visit the country-side. You can find walking tours that take you to wineries, olive orchards, etc. in the hillside. I really wouldn't miss Rome though if I were you.<BR><BR>Enjoy.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 03:31 PM

Women like to give advice, so here is mine! I would give serious consideration to a connecting flight from Rome to Venice so you can start in Venice. For one thing, you will be arriving early in the AM so tacking on another shorter flight won't be too difficult. (Are you working with a Travel Agent -- it might be worth it since this is your honeymoon). Venice is exceptionally romantic. Splurge and get a room with a Grand Canal view. You'll never regret it. Take three nights there and wind down. You can then pick up a car and drive to Siena, but get a road map and consider a stop somewhere in between, in Umbria. I do think you could make it to Sienna, but it might be a long drive for one day. (I'm being lazy here and not getting my maps out). Driving in Italy (outside of Rome, Florence and Naples) is very easy. Spend 2 nights in Sienna, then hit the road for the Amalfi Coast. You might want an interim stop between the two, as well. Honestly, there is so much to see I don't think you could go wrong. Enjoy the Amalfi Coast for 3 nights, and then dump the car and get a train into Rome. Spend your last 3 or 4 nights in Rome. If you can take more than two weeks -- even if it is just a couple days extra -- do it. That way you can add days on to these places you chosen to visit. I'd consider more time in Tuscany...it is lovely, and 4-5 nights in Rome. It is a very social city, and by the end you your trip, you will be very comfortable with Italy, you'll probably be eating dinner at 9-10PM, and sleeping in, like newly-weds should, rather than hurrying off to pack as many &quot;must see&quot; sights into your days. (Save Florence for an anniversary trip so you can go to Cinque Terre to the West, and maybe Lake Como and the Alps to the East.)
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 04:41 PM

I wholeheartedly agree about spending time in Rome. We had 4 days there and are planning on returning for another full week. We missed Venice, but plan to see it another time. You just can't do everything! <BR> And in Rome--on your first day, I highly recommend going to the bus terminal and buying a pass on the 110 line which goes to all the major sites. The pass lasts all day, and you get off at stops, then spend as much time as you want. When you're ready to continue, wait at the bus stop for the next 110, which I think runs every 20 minutes or so. This way, you get acclimated to the city and can return to specific sites to spend more time the next day or two.<BR> Don't need a car in Rome, but driving was great in Umbria and Tuscany seeing all those wonderful hill towns. We loved Siena and wished we'd had more time there too. Florence was not on the top of our list, although seeing David made it worth being there.<BR> I hope this helps...we loved Italy and I think it's a wonderful place to start a marriage!<BR>
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 06:32 PM

Well, if and when you make it to Italy, say hi to Barbara Ciarrapico for us. She is soooo cool!
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 06:38 AM

Delta has a direct flight daily from Venice into New York (JFK). I've done it many times, and it's nice. Alitalia might have one also.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks to everyone for their advice, it has been really helpful. I checked Delta's web site and do see we can take a direct flight to Venice from JFK. Good news! I think I now have it figured out. We will fly into Venice and start the trip there. We would really prefer driving to taking a train...so I have one more question...where near Venice would we be able to pick up a car so we could drive to Siena? If this is possible, we would then keep the car throughout our stay in Siena and drive to the Amalfi coast, then leave the car at the Amalfi Coast and head to Rome for just a few nights at the end of our stay. Now on to deciding where to stay in each town and for how long.....
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 10:33 AM

Ahh yes--that is your best plan. Except, train as far as Florence to get the car. There is nothing to see enroute and the train is cheap.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 11:24 AM

We started our Italy trip in 2000 by flying into Venice. After two nights we took a vaporetto back to the Venice airport and rented our car. The Venice airport is an easy place to rent.<BR>Once we had our car, we made the easy drive to Florence and caught the 222 road into Chianti country.<BR>While there was nothing spectacular on the route prior to making the turn onto the 222, it was easy and exhilarating to be on the road, experiencing the toll booths, the gas/food stations, and just overall soaking and emersing ourselves in the experience.