Should we go to Venice or Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the end of a 7 day vacation we will have been to Rome 2days, Siena 3 Days, Florence 2 days. We then train to Venice for 1 day and night and then train back to rome 4.5 hrs for 1/2 day and night before we leave for home very early next morning. What would you do if it was you first time to Italy?
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 05:23 AM

I would change my flight to arrive in Rome and fly out of Florence. I don't like to back-track.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 05:38 AM

I would leave out Venice on this trip, for two reasons:
a) Two days in Rome is barely scratching the surface.
b) Most people who spend so short a time in Venice end up disliking it. It needs more time than that.

Also, three days in Siena and two in Florence seems an odd division of time, unless you are planning to use Siena as a base to get into the Tuscan countryside on day trips with a car.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:45 AM

Have you booked your plane tickets? If you're stuck with the Rome arrival/departure, you might change the order of your trip to put all your Rome days together at the end. And I wouldn't head to Venice for just one night.

I think you are trying to fit too many changes of hotel into your trip. Even with Siena and Florence that are quite near one another, it will take at least half a day to check out of one hotel, travel to the next city, and check into the next hotel. It takes much more time than you realize.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:54 AM
ira

Hi M.

Best way would be to fly into Venice and out of Rome.

Why are you moving from Florence to Siena?

I suggest 2 nights Venice and 4 nights Rome. You can spend a day in Florence between the two cities.

If you must follow your itinerary, I suggest skipping Venice this trip.

I agree, you have too much for only 1 week.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:59 AM

Don't get me wrong -- I love Siena but it is small, so you could do it in a day trip. That would allow you to extend your stay in Florence/Rome/Venice instead and see Siena by train one of the days you are in Florence.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Whew! That's a load off my mind. I'm letting you all make the call, back to Rome it is since our flights are booked and I'm not changing them to leave out of Florence. Also, we are doing some biking while in Siena so the good news there is I like the intinerary. Thanks all!
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 07:13 AM

Oh, definitely don't miss Venice, even if it's for 2 hours! We spent three nights in Rome (AMAZING), 1 night in Volterra, three in Vernazza, and 2 in Venice. Then headed north into some other countries. But I would have considered a few hours in Venice to be worth the traveling. We spent a couple of hours in Pisa on the way to Vernazza and about three in Florence on the way to Venice, and even with just a few hours, I loved doing it. Just be sure to plan your time wisely in Rome so that you can see what you really want to. I think your trip sounds lovely. Oh, one thing you could consider is one less day in Siena, which would give you an extra in Venice. We stopped by there, too, for supper, and loved it. But if I had to choose, I'd spend more time in Venice, and less in Siena.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 09:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd somehow allow for 2 days in Venice.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 10:01 AM

I would leave Venice for my next trip. I would learn the lesson and next time fly into Venice, Delta flys to Venice both from Atlanta and fron New YOrk and then depart from Rome. Through the years I have found out that it is a great choice to leave something for next trip instead of rushing and expecting as some people like to say to
"do" a city in hours or in a day. What does this mean?..

It makes no sense to me...
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 01:05 PM

Hello molly, am I understanding properly, are you giving up your idea to go to Venice?

If so what time is your flight arriving in Rome? And where will you be flying from? The reason I ask is if you have a flight that arrives in Rome in the morning or even early afternoon if you would not be to tired you might think about taking the train to Florence for the first night. So visit Florence, visit Siena and then return to Rome to enjoy your time there before flying home from Rome. That way you will have only three hotel changes which is quite enough, at least it would be for me. Have a wonderful trip, and you will!
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 08:52 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As much as I love Venice, and disregarding what I said above, I would recommend you skip it because you simply don't have enough time. For me it would not be worth it to go for just 1-2 days. I've been twice and spent 5 days each trip. I considered that a minimum.

Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 04:50 PM

I agree with some of the other posters that you should leave Venice for another time. Of course, I am a Rome-o-phile, so my advice would always be to spend as much time as possible in the Eternal City. Try to spend less time traveling to as many destinations as possible and instead concentrate on one or two. You will have a much more relaxed vacation and you will learn a lot more about the places you visit.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 01:19 PM

When my wife was pregnant with our first, we made one last Italy tour. 3 days in rome, 2 in Florence, three in Venice and another in Florence on the way back to Rome. But that's nine days, of course. Well, one day in Venice won't cut it. Tack on the day in Venice.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 10:55 PM

hi, ur plan is looking nice.Rome will be nice place then Venice with rich heritage and culture.Above all u get best hotel there at cheap rate ucan check out at a1romehotelsdotcom
regards
Happy vacations