Rome, then...Florence or Venice

Apr 8th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Rome, then...Florence or Venice

I've got a week in Rome and will spend a few days in both Venice and Florence. I'd like some suggestions on which order: Rome to Venice, then Florence? Rome to Florence, then Venie?
Apr 8th, 2003, 04:22 PM
sjk

Are you flying into/out of Rome? Then I'd sugget that you start off either by spending one night in Rome, or heading out straightaway to Venice or Florence. I'd suggest starting with Venice, then Florence, then Rome. I found Venice to be more relaxing than either of the other two. Rome is just sooo full of energy!
Apr 8th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Yep, in and out of Rome. Can't alter the first week. First week in Rome, then another week to go to Venice and Florence, back to Rome where I've already got one more night booked.

How many days/nights in Venice, and how many days/nights in Florence?
Apr 8th, 2003, 05:11 PM

I went from Rome to Florence stopping in Pisa for a couple hours. It was a slight detour to see the leaning tower, but worth the few hours.

I personally loved both Florence and Venice, but would spend more time in Venice. I would suggest 2 nights Florence and 3-4 nights Venice then back to Rome to fly out.

I purchased the DK Italy book before I booked my trip (which you can look at/buy from barnes and nobles, borders, ebay etc.) and they have lots of great descriptions and photos of each city.

I felt I was able to cover most of Florence in 3 days but not Venice and I wished I could have stayed in Venice longer...

good luck.
Apr 8th, 2003, 05:36 PM
sjk

I agree. More time in Venice. I'd give it 3 days, and then 1-2 in Florence, and pick a Tuscan town (Siena?) to spend another night. It's quite an experience. That may make things a bit rushed, though
Apr 9th, 2003, 05:23 AM

Each of those cities have different character. A week in rome, assuming lots of site-seeing will leave your tired. Venice is a great place to unwind. It's more of a relaxed atmosphere where half the fun is just wandering around. Florence is kind of a little of each. It really depends upon how much time you'll spend in the museums. If you want to unwind at the end, leave Venice for last, if you want a break before more site-seeing, then Venice in the middle.
Apr 9th, 2003, 05:42 AM
ira

Hi
I suggest Rome to Venice (2 nights) to Florence (3 nights)and back to Rome.
From Florence you can day trip to Siena, or Lucca and/or Pisa.
Rome to Venice SL is about 4 1/2 hr.
Venice to Florence is about 3 hr.
see www.trenitalia.com for train schedules.