Two weeks in Europe?

Jun 13th, 2002, 05:26 AM
m. argerich

Two weeks in Europe?

What sort of itinerary would you plan given this time frame? I've been to London, Paris, Rome, Florence, Venice, Amsterdam, Geneva and the Swiss Alps. I prefer decent-sized cities. Presumably the various places on this trip should be well connected by train.

Thanks!

Jun 13th, 2002, 05:34 AM
mark

Alot more than 2 weeks.

With travel taking 2 days, jet lag taking another, you will be left with 10 days to do the 8 places you list.

I did a similar itenary in 1988 while backpacking through Europe. I left in early June and didn't get back until the end of July.

4 weeks would be a minimum to do all of that you have planned.

Jun 13th, 2002, 05:38 AM
mark

Just realized that I misread your question.

I thought you wanted to do all of those places you listed in 2 weeks.

Sorry.

Jun 13th, 2002, 05:55 AM
xxx

Suggestion for your 2 weeks.

Fly into Frankfurt.

Head up the Rhine to St Goar, Assmannshausen-Rudesheim or even Kaub. (1 1/2 by train)

Find accomodations along the Rhine for 3 nights. There are plenty of hotels and castles for you to consider.

You'll be close enough from the Rhine to do Wiesbaden, Cochem, Koblenz, or even Cologne. Heidelberg may be a bit of a trip, but if you are into it, check it out.

Leave from the Rhine and head down towards the Austrian border.

Get into Austria and find accomodations in towns like St Johann, Kitzbuhel, or even Innsbruck. Or you may want to get over to the Austrian side of the Zugspitz.

Get out of Austria and consider getting over to Berchtesgaden. You'll be in a very nice sized town and a short drive from Salzberg.

From Berchtesgaden head over to Munich. Stay in either Munich or south of Munich. Places like the Schliersee or Tegernsee are within a hour by train into Munich.

From Munich you can drive the Romantic Road and get into Rothenberg. A few nights in Rothenberg would be awesome. You will be close enough from Rothenberg to consider getting over the the Bierstrasse. 35 miles long with 7 breweries on it. If you enjoy "adult beverages", go for it. Stay somewhere along the Bierstrasse.

If you want to stay away from the towns south of Munich then you may also want to consider putting Garmisch in your places to stay around Munich.

(You may want to check a map. I may have these towns out of order for driving, but they are certainly excellent choices.)

There are plenty of great recs inside of these threads. Good luck and have a great time.

Jun 13th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Alan

If you haven't visited Prague before, I'd highly recommend visiting this city and perhaps other areas within the Czech Republic. You could also venture into Austria to complete your full 2 weeks without being too much in such a small amount of time as 2 weeks. Alan

Jun 13th, 2002, 08:51 AM
m. argerich

Hi Mark, Alan -- Thanks for your suggestions. I was learning some German anticipating that I would visit Austria and Germany.

I went to Prague during the summer of 99. Found it a bit touristy.

How would one weigh the relative merits of Spain, Germany, Austria and S. France (say)?

Thanks.

Jun 13th, 2002, 09:44 AM
paul

What about the cities in Northern Europe(Oslo, Stockholm etc.)?

Jun 13th, 2002, 11:54 AM
xxx

What size city is "decent"?

Jun 13th, 2002, 07:43 PM
KKC

We just came back from one of our best 2-weeks vacation on this itinery: Vienna (5 days), Hallstaadt (2 days absolutely worth it), Cesky Krumlov, Prague (4 days). Cities and countryside, a little bit of both and we did not want to be rushed. They are all charming and beautiful in their own way. You can add Salzburg, it is not far from Hallstaadt. All accessible by train.

Jun 14th, 2002, 05:00 AM
m. argerich

Hi Paul, I imagine that I'd have to visit Northern Europe on a separate trip. It could certainly be this trip -- I've never been to Northern Europe.
Would you pick these cities over the ones in Continental Europe?

xxx: Of the cities I've been to, Geneva may be the smallest city. I guess Venice and Florence are quite small as well. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd prefer to visit (and I don't mind visiting) well trodden tourist attractions and the usual suspects.

KKC: I've been wanting to visit Vienna. I had to look up Hallstatt. I don't know Cesky Krumlov. Thanks for sharing an interesting trip.