Reload this Page >

scenic/historic trip

Search

scenic/historic trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 06:51 PM
chris

scenic/historic trip

we're interested in seeing some of the best sights in germany while still visiting some of the key historical points - most importantly those concerning wwII.<BR><BR>the alps, wwII memorials/sites (concentration camps), berlin. not sure how close these sites are and we only have 7 days in germany.<BR><BR>any help would be very appreciated.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 07:34 PM
uncle sam

Chris, <BR><BR>It really depends upon what you want to see and how willing you are to move about. <BR><BR>However Bavaria and Munich may afford you the best opportunity with a minimal amount of travel.<BR><BR>Munich was the site of the origin of Hitler's party and there are tours that will take you to the notable places. <BR><BR>Just outside of Munich is Dachau a concentration camp for Jews, gypsies and leaders of the Christian church that did not agree with the 3rd Reich's policies.<BR><BR>You are also close to the Alps and Neuschwanstein, Mad King Ludwig's fairy tale castle. The views are fantastic and the scenery breathtaking.<BR><BR>In addition, Munich is a great city and you can easily spend three days there.<BR><BR>You can also do a day trip to Salzburg. Despite the number of tourists, it is well worth the visit.<BR><BR>Hope that this helps!<BR><BR>US

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 04:53 AM
Russ

With 7 days, I'd suggest spending time in two different spots. Munich is a good suggestion as a base for your interests - Sam mentioned Dachau, just north of Munich - the most accessible camp I know of for English speakers - but you might also daytrip from Munich to Berchtesgaden to tour the town, the K&ouml;nigssee (alpine, fjord-like lake), and Hitler's &quot;Eagles Nest&quot;. Another outing unrelated to the war is to Andechs Monastery - a popular place with germans - where you can sit on the ourdoor dining patio, sip some monks' brew, and spy the nearby Ammersee lake (and the Alps on a clear day) while munching on traditional German food (love those gigantic, bready pretzels.) I'd plan on 4-5 days in Munich. I'd also suggest a short stay on the Rhine or the Mosel River, just northwest of Frankfurt. Since you'll be in Bavaria's behemoth for 4-5 days, why not stay in one of the smaller villages in this area - St. Goar, Boppard, or the attractive cobblestoned, half-timbered town of Linz would be good choices - for a completely different take on life in Germany? On the Rhine, just north of Koblenz, is the site of the old Luddendorf bridge - the &quot;Bridge at Remagen&quot; - where Allies first penetrated across the river. There's an excellent museum housed in what remains of the bridge supports - much in English - that I found fascinating. Try www.bruecke-remagen.de for details. Of course, the Cologne cathedral is an awesome sight if there's time for that, too.<BR><BR>Flying into Munich and out of Frankfurt or Cologne would make such a trip that much more do-able - it's pretty tight.<BR><BR>Berlin is so overwhelming that I think I would suggest spending your entire week there or not going there at all.<BR><BR>Hope you have a good trip.<BR><BR>Russ

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 01:17 PM
CharlieB

chris - given your penchant for WWII sites plus some scenery and your time constraints I would suggest spending all your time in the Munich and Berchtesgaden area. Other than those sites already mentioned you could add a day trip to Nuremburg (less than 2 hours from Munich via ICE)- not only a charming old world city, but also the site of the huge Nazi Rally grounds. Check it out at &quot;nuernberg.de&quot;

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Ann

All great suggestions and will easily and quickly take your 7 days without ever getting to Berlin. I really like Russ's suggestions, and would only add that you might prefer to visit the Luddendorf bridge as you drive along the Rhine sightseeing, then head south along the Mosel for a night near Trier, from which you can make a quick trip over the border into Luxembourg to visit the American cemetery outside Lux City, where Gen Patton is buried There is a detailed mural on the grounds showing military operations in western Europe from the landing in Normandy until the end of the war. Another contains a map of the Ardennes and Rhineland campaigns, including the Battle of the Bulge and crossing the Rhine at Oppenheim. Really gives you a feel for the scope of the combat, esp. with the more than 5,000 U.S. graves there. And Trier is a fantastic Roman Empire capital with a bit of history of its own, well worth its own visit - plus you can drive across the Roman bridge in use over the Mosel two millenniums back enroute to the ampitheater or the Emperor Constantine's former throne room.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 06:00 AM
CharlieB

Chris - so much to see and so little time! If you are arriving in Frankfurt I would devote my time to the Rhine, Mosel, Ardennes area following Russ and Ann's suggestions. (I think Ann meant to say Charlemagne rather than Constantine) If,however, you start off in Munich, I would limit my excursions to that area. You can cover each area fairly well in 7 days, but not both. In any event enjoy your trip!

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 04:03 AM
anissa

Actually no, Ann was correct in saying Constatine. Trier was a Eastern Seat of the Roman Empire under Constantine. Trier celebrated it's 2000 aniversary in 1987. Charlemange WAS a ruler in the nearby area much later of course - I believe he ruled out of Aachen? And Constantine DID have a &quot;throne&quot; there - today it is an old church. Personally the only thing remotely interesting about the old building, is that it is one of the oldest buildings around that does not have beams/colums supporting the middle of the roof (forget what that is called).

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 09:58 AM
CharlieB

MY APOLOGIES - Ann was indeed absolutely correct! I fear I got Aachen and Trier mixed up (excusable at my age). Actuallt Trier was the seat of government of, I believe, 6 Roman Emperors, starting with Diocletian and including Constantine.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 02:50 PM
Ann

But what a wonderful way to learn even more, CharlieB... no apology needed. I know very little about Aachen... sounds as if I should do some studying on it!