Reload this Page >

Spending 1 week driving from Colonge to Munich

Notices

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any must sees or must dos? Is 1 week enough, too much time? We have not worked out where we will be staying in Germany, yet. I'm hoping we can find places along the way. We pick up our car around 3:00 in Colonge and we'll drive somewhere and stay the night- where? Is Baden-Baden worth a day? What about the baths? Also, we'll be going to Salzburg and spending one night there. Our plan is to return our car in Munich and take a train to Austria. Other option is to drive to Salzburg from Germany and then back to Munich. Thoughts?
Thanks for any and all help!
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 05:42 PM

If you plan to get your car in mid-afternoon, you might find Baden-Baden to be a bit too far to drive for the first night. I'd suggest Heidelberg for at least 2 nights before you continue your trip.

I assume you know that if you had a good long day of driving, you could make it from Cologne to Munich in one day. But I also assume that isn't what you have in mind. Instead, it appears you want to make the most of your days between those 2 cities. Keeping that in mind......

After Heidelberg I would probably go east to pick up the Romantic Road and make short stops in Rothenbug, Dinklesbuhl, and Nordlingen, perhaps stopping in Nordlingen for the night.

The following day, I would drive to Lindau on the Bodensee for one or two nights. Then I would proceed through the lovely mountains of Tirol in Austria to Innsbruck for a couple of days, and finally then to Munich. If my count of the days doesn't exactly add up to what you have, you could adjust them up and down. I think this itinerary would be very enjoyable, assuming that from Munich you will proceed to take a train to Salzburg and then finally back to Munich.

I really can't recommend specific must-sees because there are too many to count. You probably need to get a good travel book on Germany and Austria and study them a bit for specific points that appeal to you. Good luck.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 06:50 PM

Check out http://www.bensbauernhof.com/ for good info about places to stay along the way. Ben is well-known to Fodor's, and frequently posts here.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I bought Rick Steves's books and I'm in the process of reading them cover to cover!
Also- Thank you so much, Betsy, for Andrew's contact info. He's getting us a great car for a great deal!!! Any other advice for Germany is more than welcome!!
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 05:15 AM

Well, you can hardly go wrong with any of Wayne's advice. And a week could never be too much time in southern Germany. Here's a couple of alternatives to Wayne's great suggestions:

The Mosel valley is really nice. Koblenz is at the point where the Mosel joins the Rhine, and it has several really beautiful beer gardens along the rivers (if you like beer gardens, which I just love). Lots of boats depart here for Rhine cruises - Boppard is an easy one day trip/return. Going down the Mosel, Cochem has a very nice town center, with wine tastings near the visitor's center, and a great castle overlooking the river that you can walk up to and tour. All the way down the Mosel is Trier which I think is the oldest city in Germany, and has Roman ruins from around the time of Christ.

As far as going from Munich to Salzburg, you cannot beat the train, though driving is ok too. I was there last year with my family of 5, and we purchased a "Landerkarte" if I recall correctly - get this - 22 euro for all five to ride all day long in 2nd class - this got us all to Salzburg and back! I live in Baltimore, and if the whole family took Amtrak to NY and back it would cost us $600! You can also use the same ticket to go anywhere else in Bavaria, including numerous towns along the edge of the Alps. I think they're good for groups up to five, or families of unlimited size. You can get details on the Die Bahn website.

In Munich, my favorite things are the entire Altstadt, the Victualienmarkt, the Seehaus beer garden in the Englischergarten park, the Hofbrauhaus, Dachau (sobering), & all 3 art museums (Alte, Neue, and Moderne).

Here's a tip about hotels, if you want to get reservations ahead of your trip. Almost all cities have websites, and on their visitor's page, they usually list very resonable hotels. Its really easy to e-mail the hotels, and they usually get back to you right away with prices and avaiability.

I envy you!