Two London questions

Search

Two London questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two London questions

We will be going to the Prince of Wales Theatre to see Mama Mia on a Friday at 5:00. Should we dress any particular way or will anything be fine? Also, we will be staying at the Novotel London West in Hammersmith. Can someone recommend a good pub to eat at (also on Friday)? We want where the locals would go, not tourists.
Thanks
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 10:15 PM

Just dress smart in London .Good dress up jeans will do it. Soory never heard of anyone eating out in Hammersmith .Is it your only option for eating?
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 12:47 AM

As said – wear what you want to the theatre – Mama Mia is hardly Ibsen after all.

Hammersmith itself isn’t the greatest area for restaurants, but there are a few good options nearby.

For pubs, you should walk down to Hammersmith Bridge and, on The Hammersmith side (ie don’t cross the bridge) there is a street called Lower Mall – it has some lovely old riverside pubs on it (It’s actually more of a terrace than a street). King St at the Bus station end is full of pubs – but they tend to be the huge alco-popmongers aimed at the yoof.

For restaurants, go down King St towards Chiswick (or take the tube or bus (the tube and bus station are the same place) one stop to Ravenscourt Park, and King St between Ravenscourt Park and Chiswick is a street full of restaurants and pubs etc.

You are also near Barons Ct which has some nice little old pubs in it – but it’s much quieter.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:11 AM

There's quite a nice vegetarian restaurant in Hammersmith called The Gate. It's in a converted church.

We also like the Eagle in Askew Road.
It can't make up its mind if it is Hammersmith or Shepherd's Bush. You certainly get locals there.

As for dressing for the theatre, I'd say that especially for a matinee, clean and tidy but no need to dress up.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:38 AM

"The Dove", Hammersmith:

http://www.pubs.com/pub_details.cfm?ID=175
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:38 AM

You can certain wear whatever you like to the theatre, people don't dress up these days. You'll see the occasional blazer from the older husband and wife who have come "down to London". Even the opera isn't what it used to be.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:41 AM

People dress plain here. Everyone looks the same. It's quite depressing. No style whatsoever
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:11 AM

hey! Speak for yourself!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:23 AM

Third time lucky?
This site is really playing up.
The address for the Gate restaurant is on their website http://www.gateveg.co.uk/
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:58 AM

As someone who works in Hammersmith (I know, I know...) can I suggest you try the Hammersmith Ram, halfway up King Street, on the left as you come up from the Novotel end; The Salutation, opposite the Town Hall is OK too, but will be busy on Friday. The Dove is a lovely pub, especially for lunch, but no good if you're talking dinner.
The best rstaurant in the area is Sabai Sabai, a Thai restaurant, just before King Street becomes Chiswick High Road - nearest tube Ravenscourt Park.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:12 AM

The salutation basically turns into an extension of the Town Hall on friday afternooons. I know - I was that Hammersmith and Fulham employee!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:43 AM

Me too, David (left 1999)
I forgot to mention the Thatched House, on Dalling Road - excellent food, even better beer!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:54 AM

Hi loves to travel,

we saw Mama Mia at the POW theatre and people were wearing everything, and this was in November. I should imagine that in warmer summer weather, they would be wearing much the same, only less of it.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:43 AM

So, how is the Novatel..stayed there in 1999. Heard it had a renovation. How is it there now? We ate several times at a pub called the Queenshead. Can't remember how to get there but it was easily walkable. I remember going by a park. The food was good and there for sure were a lot of locals. I'm sure someone at the hotel knows where it is. They had an outside patio area and it was pretty busy all the times we were there.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replys. We are just trying to pack a lot into 4 days in London. I thought it would be easier to head back towards the hotel after the theatre and eat someplace close by. We wanted to eat at a pub that night.