Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Two Late Bloomers Mooning in November on Capri

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I am new here and you all seem so well traveled I am overwhelmed. We are two oldsters who are marrying in the States but my husband (by then) has always dreamed of honeymooning on Capri.

We are getting married the Friday before Thanksgiving and leaving for Capri the day after.

I will take any and all tips and information you may have. We need views comfort and romance! Thank you for anything you can provide for that time of year.

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 04:06 PM
P_M

First of all, my deepest congratualtions!! It's great to be reminded that love can bloom at any age. Last year my 60-something mother was married and I still am moved to tears when I remember what a happy occasion her wedding was!! <sniff, sniff>

Getting back to you question, I was in Capri in November 2002, but unfortunately it was just a day trip as I was staying in Sorrento. I am so jealous of you for staying on the island, which I will do when I am in that part of the world next. The weather was a little cool but still very nice and mostly sunny. The water is the most beautiful, crystal blue you will ever see, and I don't think there's any part of that island that isn't scenic or romantic. There is a funicular you can ride in the middle of town that will take you up for wonderful views. In another part of the island there are chair lifts where you can take a very peaceful ride up a mountain for even more gorgeous views. I don't recall where that was, but I bet anyone on the island could tell you, or perhaps another Fodorite. I wanted to see the Blue Grotto, but I'm not sure that's possible in November due to high tides, but definitely ask anyway.

I wish I could help you with hotels, but I'm sure someone else will come through for you. You were right to ask this board for help, the Fodorites are the best travel experts I know. I have learned so much from this board, and they have never failed to answer my questions and to give good advice.

Once again, major congrats, and have a wonderful honeymoon!!
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 05:17 PM

yourdivaness,

Love the screen name! Congratulations on your upcoming marriage. If you post your budget, I'd be happy to make some suggestions.

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 05:21 PM

From one diva to another, Congratulations!
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 05:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Oh My God, I thought by your headline you woulld be "MOONING"
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 07:18 PM

Yes, I,too, thought you were doing the other "mooning" instead of "honeymooning".

Best wishes!
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 02:05 AM

Congrats!!

We spent time planning a trip to Capri this year and looked at alot of hotels.

Villa Brunella has gotten very good ratings. Also, if budget is smaller (as ours was), La Minerva is very nice (just no pool) and has lovely ocean view rooms with large terrace that are quite reasonable. Both web sites are listed below for you.

http://www.laminervacapri.com/
http://www.villabrunella.it/
http://www.caprionline.com/

I'd also check out the 3rd site, which has lots of information on Capri.

Check out also tripadvisor.com. We found that site very useful. People comment on hotels they have stayed at. It is always helpful to hear comments from multiple people who have stayed somewhere. La Minerva is rated #1 on that site.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 05:08 AM

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!!

There are several things to keep in mind when visiting Capri in late November:
Many of hotels are closed because it is "out of season"---so, you will need to check out the web sites for those hotels you are considering (Your choices will be narrowed at that time of year.)

Late November often brings heavy rains and rough seas to the Amalfi region---so don't expect 100% sunshine everyday, nor "swimming pools" open with water temps appropriate for taking a dip. (It will still be warm enough to sunbathe in wind protected areas.)
As the other poster noted, the Blue Grotto and many boutiques, as well as some restaurants, will be closed at that time of the year.
If the seas get a "little rough", the hydrofoils to Sorrento will be cancelled. The huge car ferries to Naples will run---unless the weather gets really rough and they can't dock the ferry.

I don't want to sound negative, but you need to know the downside possibilities of late November vacationing on Capri.

The upside is you will have the island almost to yourself. The restaurants that are open will be most gracious and thankful for your business. You will be able to walk and explore everywhere without being in a throng of "wall to wall" daytrippers.

You will have the romantic spots to yourselves. The stores that are open often are having excellent sales---good value shopping.

Additionally, with few vacationers on the island, it is often easier to meet and develop friendships that would not become likely during the most crowded times of the year.

We spent three days in Capri in late November several years ago. (We had only planned one overnight.) The first day was gorgeous---sunny, warm, clear skies and smooth seas. That evening, it started raining heavily and a storm moved in. Because of the weather, even the car ferry from Naples couldn't dock---so, we spent two more nights on Capri in inclement weather, waiting for "word" from the front desk of our hotel as to when the next ferry "might" be coming from Naples.

Consider what your honeymoon priorities are before you commit to Capri at that time of year.

You might want to check out the "average temps and rainfall totals" in the month of Novemer for Capri on:
http://www.weather.com

Whatever your decision, your honeymoon will be special (and memorable) anywhere you go.

Old Jul 9th, 2004, 06:42 AM

Allow me to add my congrats ! I got married only 4 years ago at the relatively advanced age of 43 and it's been wonderful.

6 years ago I stayed at the Hotel La Residenza (4*) in Capri town - very central, down the side of the Grand Hotel Quisisiana. I had a fantastic, large room on the top floor with a large terrace with a stunning sea view. The pool was fairly small with no view, being in the middle of the building, although there is a sun terrace with view and you won't be swimming in November anyway. The only negative comment I'd make about the hotel, as it was then, is that the dining room was a bit institutional and depressing; but that didn't matter as there are lots of great places to eat out . However, I've recently been looking up the hotel myself with a view to another trip and it seems it has been upgraded and is now very posh. The type of room I stayed in now seems to be described as a "deluxe double room with sea view" and the hotel's own website lists it as E600 per night !! However, if this is within your budget I'm sure it would be fabulous - and it is your honeymoon, after all

3 years ago we stayed at the Hotel La Floridiana - also in Capri town but a bit further from the centre. It is classed as 3* but we had a junior suite and it was very nice, with a balcony and sea view. The drawback for us was it had no pool - although we could use the one at the hotel next door - but again, that shouldn't matter to you. The dining room was also a bit depressing - but again, that shouldn't matter either as it's better to eat out. On the hotel's own website a standard double is currently listed as E135-251, a superior double as E145-251 and a junior suite/suite as E190-361.

Check out www.caprionline for links to these 2 & lots of other possibilities, and I hope you have a wonderful time.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 07:07 AM

Congrats to you both from another oldster (married 51 years)! Honeymoon on Capri? Well why not. It is a nice little spot with romantic overtones. You've already gotten some good advice, haven't you? Sorrento, Ravello, Amalfi, Positano and other nearby places are nice, too.

Bon voyage!
Bill [email protected]
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 07:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
first congratulations and meanwhile you can rent some films that have scenes filmed on Capri.
Contempt, Michel piccoli and Bridget Bartot,
the Talented Mr Ripley,
An Affair to Remember, Deborah Kerr and Cary Grant,
It started in Naples, Sofia Loren and Clark Gable
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 07:59 AM

Just got back from a trip to Rome, Capri and Venice in late June. You should try to get to all three if possible during your honeymoon. Anyway, we stayed at Villa Brunella and it was fantastic. Try to get a deluxe room with patio and sea view. It will be worth the extra cost. Also, try to visit Positano if possible. Have fun and congratulations.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 09:29 AM

To save you some time, the following hotels close at the end of October or first week of November: Brunella, Capri Palace, Luna, Punta Tragara, Villa Sarah, Quattro Stagioni. Others certainly may be closed also, so as a previous poster said, check the websites of the hotels carefully.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to you all for taking the time to give me such good information. As soon as I get a minute to myself I will check all the web sites and try to get an idea on what is available.

I know it won't be the best time of year, but I might as well indulge his Capri fantasy - what a chore!! Really it sounds like fun to be there in the bare winter.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 12:26 PM

I can't help you with places to stay in Capri, or even places to eat, but I suggest taking a ferry to Sorrento for a day (you may have to go to Naples first) and HIGHLY recommend going to Positano and Almalfi. They are beautiful and special just like Capri. Congrats! and Enjoy!
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 05:42 AM

Bruce, I've just looked at the Villa Brunella's website and it does look lovely. My only concerns would be 1) is it quite a long walk from the centre of town ? and 2) the sun terrace looks awfully cramped - aren't the sunbeds awfully close together, and are there enough umbrellas ? I would welcome your comments on these specific points - thanks.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 07:18 AM

Sorry for the late reply. In response to your questions: (1) it is an easy 10 minute walk to town along a nice paved walkway, (2) we didn't spend more than a few hours on the sundeck (since there was so much to do in Capri) and there was never more than a few people enjoying the sun/view, and (3) there were several unused umbrellas. Their website doesn't due the hotel justice (I was very impressed with the intimate setting, views, restaurant and hospitality extended to us during our three-night stay.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 04:30 AM

Bruce, thanks very much for the extra info. I will certainly bear the VB in mind when planning my next trip.