Island of Capri a bust?

Old May 20th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Mary Kay

Island of Capri a bust?

I've heard from a few people that the island of Capri is a waste of time. Is his true? Any suggestions for other excursions from Positano?

Old May 20th, 2002, 06:11 AM
xxx

Not according to Lucy! Search for Lucy on this site - she had a wonderfully romantic time there.

Old May 20th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Kim

Hi Mary Kay,

I have heard just the opposite from so many people. I am going there in a few weeks as part of my honeymoon and everyone I have talked to absolutely loved it. I have heard that it's better to stay there as opposed to going there for the day.

Old May 20th, 2002, 06:18 AM
brownie

I disagree - I loved Capri. The grotto's were cool, the beaches great, people were nice and exploring the white-washed town was just brilliant.

Old May 20th, 2002, 06:26 AM
igor

Does anyone has any recommendations as far as the hotels on Capri. We would like to be right on the beach.

Old May 20th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Myer

Just returned last week (see report on Rome, Sorrento, London).

We were in Capri 3 years ago and again this time. Beautiful Island with spectacular views. The waste of time is the Blue Grotto (there is a thread on this).

Don't miss the island.

The first and best and shortest walk from the main square above should be Punta del Cannone. Spectacular.

Old May 20th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Capri

Very nice for two days, then you have seen it.

Old May 20th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Janda Otavalo

I found Capri very touristy. I had alot more fun in Sorrento. Try their local drink Limoncello. You will have a wonderful daytrip....

Old May 20th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Amy

I found Capri less touristy than Sorrento...and the limoncello better on Capri as well! Don't skip Capri, but don't bother with the grotto (do a search for a previous thread on that subject)

Old May 20th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Patrick

I've often said that it seems those who talk about Capri fall into one of two categories -- they hated it (and then we invariably find out they only day tripped there and never even spent a night) -- or they loved it (and we invariably find that they spent at least one night there, usually two).

Old May 20th, 2002, 12:57 PM
daniela

You have to go! I was there 32 years ago and again last spring and it is still spectacular. Take the local bus and from the main square in Anacapri start a short hike, get map at T.I. in square. If you have time try Ravello. Enjoy

Old May 20th, 2002, 07:45 PM
steve

We were in Capri in October and thought it was wonderful. We stayed at the Casa Morgano. All the rooms have porches with lovely views, the staff was very helpful and the location was great.

Old May 20th, 2002, 07:54 PM
John G

Jesus, Mary, you must be off your meds, si?

I love Capri!

Stay at Quisisana for the best in hospitality and luxury on the island.

Have a drink in the Piazetta, throw your Louis Vuitton on the pavement, and go buy a pair of driving shoes at JP Tod. When you are done, toss your Rolex into the sea and go and buy a Patek Philippe.

Hey, isn't that Naomi Campbell shoplifting at Helmut Lang?

Old May 20th, 2002, 11:42 PM
debra

If you are a pretentious New Yorker who loves wo shop in overppriced (try it already was on sale in Barney's 3 mox. earlier and it was made in Italy) boutiques and stand around posing, you will love Capri. We stayed there a week last summer. There is very little authenticity. You might s well be in a duty free shop with duties and views. The Blue Grotto was a completely commercialized tourist trap. Emerald was a little better. The Amalfi Coast is less flashy, and more sensual...lemons, pottery, Italy, etc.

Old May 29th, 2002, 10:00 PM
kiki

Dear Mary Kay,

Capri is very special, but I suggest that you stay overnight at least one nite to appreciate its beauty. I visited last month, and shared my travelogue on fodors.com. You can type in "kiki" in the search box and the thread will pop up.

I hope that you'll enjoy the detailed tips on sightseeing, shopping, dining and accomodations in Capri and Positano.

Have fun!

Kiki

Old May 30th, 2002, 03:00 AM
jim and camille

stayed in anacapri two years ago for 4 nights on our honeymoon. we have heard so many people take a day trip and wish they could stay longer. if you only go for a day trip then skip the blue grotto, but if you have 3-4 days then it is worth seeing. we were there in september 2000 and there was a very short wait.

note: rent the movie "it all started in naples" starring sophia loren. it was made 40 years ago and you will find capri has barely changed. (they also make a joke of the blue grotto tourist trap, but still visit it)

capri is great and we liked anacapri even better for our honeymoon. if you are in good shape then you can walk from anacapri down the phoenesian steps to the marina, then a funicular to capri town and a convertible taxi back up the mountain.

jim and camille

Old May 30th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Dennis

I was on Capri on May 20. It was very crowded, and will only get more so in the summer. However, if you are adventerous and like to walk, take the funicular and go to the very small information center in the adjacent Piazza, and buy a map for less than a euro. Read a guidebook and decide what you want to visit. There are paved trails which lead all the way down to the water (strenuous). You won't be mobbed by tourists on these walks. There are beautiful gardens and a former monastery on top. There are a number of public water faucets when you can fill up and the water is very good. I enjoyed it.

Old May 30th, 2002, 09:37 PM
mike

i think capri is a wonderful diversion especially if your itininery consists of stops at major cities...i was there just last week and i concur that there are full of tourists during the day but it gets much more manageable by nighttime when most of them had left the island

some interesting things to do include: anacapri (chairlift too if you are not afraid of heights!), villa san michele, marina piccola, 1 hr boat ride around the island..sure there are fancy shops around but how many people actually shop there? (maybe except japanese tourists)

capri's main selling pt is really its environment and two days would be superb...for this month, you may even spot mariah carey every now and then...

Old May 30th, 2002, 09:42 PM
mike

oh yeah one more thing...do not, and i really mean it, go to villa jovis just to expect something looking like pompeii...unless you enjoy hiking 4 miles to/from anacapri and be rewarded with a 2 euro villa entrance fee, don't do it!!