two days south of Rome help

May 5th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

two days south of Rome help

Hi. I get off my cruise in Rome and have three days and nights before departing back from Rome to the States. I have visited Rome and environs and am considering a few days south.... in Pompeii perhaps?. Does anyone have recommendations for must see's and nice hotels?
May 5th, 2004, 08:40 AM

Pompeii is a great day trip from Rome but don't think you want to stay there. Maybe go on to Sorrento? Haven't been there myself but if you do a search for Sorrento, I think you'll get a lot of ideas.
May 5th, 2004, 08:48 AM

Do you have three full days or two days and then back to Rome before your flight? If you have three full days, you can take the train to Naples (up to a couple of hours) and take the Circumvesuviana to Pompeii. Then you can go back to Naples and take the aliscafo (hydrofoil or jet boat) to Capri, Proceda, Ischia or Sorrento. You could even spend some time in Naples. The trip to any of the above is about 45 minutes. There are plenty of hotels large and small that are great.
May 5th, 2004, 09:01 AM

Sorrento would be a good base to see Naples, Capri, Pompeii, and the rest of the Amlfi coast area. By train from Rome the trip will be about 3 1/2 hours with a change in Naples.
May 5th, 2004, 01:11 PM

we stayed in Formia, which is south of Rome, north of Naples.
Albergo Miramare , lovely and right on the beach.
From there we did daytrips to Herculeneum (?spelling),Montecassino,
Casereta, and the towns of Gaeta and Sperlonga are lovely.
I spent 3 nights (solo) on Procida,and found it quiet and relaxing, doing a daytrip to Ischia.
May 5th, 2004, 04:46 PM

Good evening, with only two days south
of Rome would suggsst as did kybourbon
use Sorrento as a bace, you can take the Circumvesuviana RR to get back to
Pompeii and Sorrento by board for a day trip to Capri. You also could do the same from Naples, however Sorrento is a much smaller city. Woud suggest the HOTEL BELLEVUE SYRENE, in
Sorrento, is a four star hotel with 65 rooms located with a wonderful view of
the Bay of Naples and Vesuvius...
It is located about a block from the
town center Pza Tasso... Ricahrd of LaGrange Park, Il..
May 6th, 2004, 01:50 AM

Hello wassy

I just got back from two weeks in Italy. DO NOT GO TO NAPLES. I was attacked in the Eurocar rental parking lot in broad day light. The guy was trying to drag me out of the parking lot into the Naples neighbor area. It was very scary. I couldn't believe it was happening to me. My husband ran over ..punched the guy 2 or 3 times in the face and he ran off. There was another guy at the back entrance on a moped. He was the get away guy. It was sooo surreal.

Naples is a very bad area.

Stay in Sorrento. It's the best. We stayed at the Bellveue Syrene. It is awesome. I got the referral from this site and it was a great referral. It's right on a cliff. I paid 415 euro for a jr suite with a seaview balcony.

You can travel to Pompeii from there...DO NOT STAY IN POMPEII. It's alot like Naples.

From Sorrento you can travel to Positano and Capri. When you go to Capri make sure you take the chairlift up the mountain of Anacapri.

Good luck.

One more place that is a must see (North of Rome) is Sienna. We loved it!!!!
May 8th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Wow! thanks so much for the great suggestions, this site is really helful. I will try not to get mugged mnatella!.

Search this Thread