Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Two days in Vienna; what should not be missed?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Vienna (staying at the Sacher) for two days in mid December. I realize this isn't much time, but what should I absolutely not miss? I'm interested in everything, so all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 07:07 AM

Many threads deal with this.

Personal favourite is Belvedere -- divided into upper and lower; upper palace is the main attraction though your ticket admits you to both -- the 2 buildings are separated by a long terraced garden. Walkable from the Sacher if you so choose.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 07:33 AM

The Fodors Destinations section has a 3-day itinerary for Vienna. Sometimes I agree with the priorities for the cities listed in Fodors Destinations section, and sometimes I do not. In the case of Vienna, I agree with Fodors. If you have only 2 days, then just do the first 2 days of their suggested 3-day itinerary. It includes the Belvedere recommended by Tedgale.

On our first morning in Vienna, we did a half-day guided tour with a company called Vienna Sightseeing. It was an orientation to the layout of central Vienna and a guided tour of Schönbrunn Palace.

We found out about the tour from a brochure in our hotel's reception area. Our hotel's receptionist booked the tour for us. We found it an efficient use of our time.

The Vienna Sightseeing tour I've mentioned combines two elements that the Fodors itinerary treats separately, namely, an introductory tour to central Vienna and a visit to Schönbrunn Palace. I personally think it would be more effective to combine them, and then to see the remaining things listed on Day 1 afterwards.

We went in September. Our guide told us Schönbrunn Palace was not heated in winter, so I would imagine it would be a good idea for you to dress warmly.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Judy and tedgale, thanks so much. This is exactly what I needed. I will follow this itinerary and will definitely dress warmly!
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 11:12 AM
tec

Lucky you! Definitely do not miss the Christmas market at the Rathaus. There is also one at Schonbrunn, but it was much smaller when I was there.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 06:09 PM

aprilmb,

We enjoyed everything about Vienna. For a fun evening that was one of our highlights was taking trolley # 38 to Grinzing, eating in a Heurigen (Wine tavern) where we had wonderful food, wine, music and good fellowship with our "New found friends"

You can catch the trolley on the Ring and it's a short (About 1/2 hour) inexpensive fun ride.

You can also view a training sesion at the Spanish Riding School, usually tickets can be purchased at the door with no advance reservations.

Enjoy, MP