Search

Tuscany Villa

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuscany Villa

We're traveling with another couple to Rome, Venice and Florence next September (in that order) and would like to rent a villa outside of Florence for 3-4 nights. Have checked several websites for villas but all seem to rent by the week. Any ideas?

Also, what part of Tuscany would be best. We're interested in Florence, of course, but would like to experience the region and it's offerings of food and wine and scenery.

Thanks!
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 07:36 PM

I suggest either renting a car in Rome or taking a train to Chiusi and renting a car there at the Hertz office located across the street from the Chiusi train station. Then, stay in an agriturismo near Pienza.

The Val D'Orcia area (where Pienza is located) is beautiful and my favorite part of Tuscany. Fantastic wine and food. With 4 days, there are plenty of small towns within 30-45 minutes to visit.

After your 4 days, drive the car to Florence and drop it off there.

To research, check the vacation rental (there are some that rent by day,) and restaurant reviews and trip reports on slowtravel.com.

Here's a great place that rents by day:

http://fontebertusi.it/

Enjoy your trip!

Zoe

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 07:57 PM

The rental rates of these villas or farmhouses are quite reasonable compared to hotel rates (especially if you are splitting the cost with another couple) - you might consider paying the weekly rate and staying only 4 days. Siena area is a good base as is Montepulciano or Montalcino. Are you including the visit to Florence in that 3-4 day period? If so, I think you are spreading yourself too thin. Only one day in Florence is frustrating as there is so much to see and experience.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 07:43 PM

If you would settle for a farmhouse with a pool rather than a villa, there are many that rent by the day and they are generally much cheaper than a hotel. The Chianti Classico wine territory around Greve in Chianti ( www.greve-in-chianti.com ) provides a great way to get to know the Tuscan countryside while still being within easy reach of Florence by car or bus.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

We're planning on spending more than 1 day in Florence, but want a 'base of operations' away from the city. We're trying to avoid living out of our suitcases if we can and want to travel into Florence for several day trips. Too ambitious?
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 03:07 AM

We found it was not that easy getting in and out of Florence and I am wondering if you wont end up wasting a good part of each day just travelling back and forth. Once in Florence the best way to travel is on foot or by cab--driving and parking is nightmare!
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 04:24 AM

With only 3-4 days I think you are being too ambitious. Why rent a lovely villa if you will be doing long daytrips to Florence? I don't know what your budget is but you might look into staying in Fiesole, a lovely town in the hills above Florence.

Hotel options include:

www.villafiesole.it

and

www.lecannelle.com

And if you have a large budget, the venerable Villa San Michele.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 04:26 AM

And here is another one, not in Fiesole but in Bellosguardo, in the Florentine hills. If hotels are not an option, why not look into a villa in one of these areas:

http://www.torrebellosguardo.com/en/index.htm