B&Bs / Villas in Greve or Castelina in Chianti

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all. I've been getting a lot of information by reading the different posting here!

I'm looking for some opinions on places to stay in Tuscany. I think I got the other parts of trip together, but I'm stuck on this part. Unfortunately, our time there will be short, 3 nights (Sept 29th - Oct 2nd). I'm travelining with DH and we will be coming in and out of the area by train from Florence. So I think we should stay somewhere not too far out from Florence.

I heard/read good things about Greve and Castelina in Chianti, but we would defintely be open to other suggestions.

We'd prefer to stay in a B&B, Agriturismo, or Villa. I'd prefer not to stay in traditional hotel. I'm hoping to stay in the $200 per night range, but could go somewhat higher for the right place.

Right now my plan is one full day in "northern" Tuscany (Greve etc). And on full day in more Southern region like Montepulciano and Pienza. Yes, as you can guess we LIKE wine and are interested in touring some wineries. Third day we only have part of the day as we need to get to Florence.

Sorry to make such a long post, I just figured the more background the better. I appreciate any help and opinions!

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 11:56 AM

We really enjoyed Villa Casalecchi near Castellina. Very quiet and just a beautiful place surrounded by vineyards and olive groves. It should be within your budget--we did have dinner there so that may have raised it some in cost. The dinner was excellent and I would recommend it. We had a car but I would think staff from the villa would meet you at the train station. Have a great trip.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 12:14 PM

You cannot really see Tuscany without a car. If you do not want to drive then stay in Siena---you should bus there---and take local bus trips from Siena. There are few trains in Tuscany.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 12:19 PM

Have you checked the Trenitalia site for train options? I believe you will have to rely on the bus system instead.
A better plan would be to rent a car in Florence for your three days in the Chianti.

Castellina - Palazzo Squarcialupi, a lovely hotel in the town

Outside of Castellina - Collelungo (I think they now accept stays of less than one week), agriturismo on a wine estate that should be within your range

I have rented an apartment at Collelungo and highly recommend it.

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses so far!

I should have clarified better that we will be renting a car for our 3 days in Tuscany. But, we're flying into Venice taking the train to Florence, renting a car for three days then taking a train from Florence to Naples.

I'm going to check out the places mentioned above!
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 01:55 PM

We stayed in Chianti in 2004. Il Caggio in Castellina. Here is a link
http://www.agriturismo.regione.tosca...ch2e?code=1072
We loved it! There were 7 of us in this place (it was in a quiet location, working vineyard, well kept, nice accomodations, with a kitchen in addition to 3 bathrooms and 4 bedrooms)and it worked out wonderfully. I think they had smaller units as well. See our trip report at
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34699548
Feel free to email us with any questions! Enjoy, planning is a good deal of the fun of the trip. Shirley
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 02:04 PM

We stayed in Chianti for 3 nights at an agriturismo called Colle Lungo. Very nice place, quiet, good location for touring Chianti. They have individual apartments and a beautiful property with a swimming pool.

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 03:15 PM

I loved a place we stayed on a trip about 3.5 yrs ago. It is an agriturismo that has B&B accommodations (so, 3 nights is fine) about 10 minutes drive up a gravel road from Greve.

The name is Podere Torre. They don't seem to ever have their own website, but you can easily access them through www.greve-in-chianti.com (which is a helpful site in general).

Look under farm house holidays; scroll past the luxury villas (well, of course, maybe that is more what you are looking for; Podere Torre is well below your price range!) until the section on agriturismi and B&Bs. Podere Torre is listed there. You can take a look and email Cecilia for more info.

It is small, charming, not fancy but comfortable. Lovely views across the vinyards. In the spring everything is blooming, so I don't know what it would look like in Sept. Cecilia is from Florence and is helpful and kind.

I would have stayed there again in a minute on last year's trip but we were with more friends and looking for a slightly different type of agriturismo.

We had one of our favorite dinners of that trip just down the road in teeny Montefioralle, at la Castellena. mmmmmm!

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 06:56 PM

Well, that is different then.
Look at Fattoria Tregole near Castellina
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:45 PM
jgg

We just stayed at Fattoria Tregole this June for 5 nights and had a wonderful stay! We stayed in one of the apts. which was very nice. We were travelling with our two kids so the extra space was great!

They have a nice breakfast out on the patio. Edith usually cooks dinner once or twice a week. We were able to dine there with the other guests twice and it was a wonderful dinner.

Here is the website www.fattoria-tregole.com. It is just a few km from Castellina in Chianti. A great central location for what you want to do.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 09:25 AM

annabelle gave you our favorite agriturismo in all of Italy.
We first went there in May 2003. I'm not sure if annabelle is the one who steered me to it,or vice virsa, but a thanks is in order.
We returned the following May and wanted to return last year,but she was sold out.
When we were in Greve,however,we stopped by and Cicille was so gracious. She brought us out a tray of wine from her vineyard, blood orange juice and some cheese. We spent time talking and catching up with each other. When we left she gave us all (4 of us) a bottle of wine and some of her homemade soap.
Podere Torre may be the best value in all the places we have ever stayed at. Wonderful breakfasts (she'll even do eggs), amazing views, spotless rooms with antiques and (as my wife says) the furnisings are just perfect for those who love B&B's (us).
I'm not sure why she hasn't moved her prices up, but I'm grateful.
We expect to be back next year.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 12:35 PM

jabez, I think we went to Podere Torre about the same time as you (unless I am off a year and it was 2002) and I don't think I posted a report, (but since have enjoyed yours!) so we were both lucky and found this little gem through another source...

I read about it in Alastair Sawday's (spelling?) little Italy lodging guide, which also led us to the wonderful Casa Martini in Venice.

Glad you get another return trip! Are the dogs (Pedro and Luna??) still there?
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 05:28 AM

Dogs are still there. Her son still lives there,but you rarely see him. She is now single and still as sweet as ever.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 09:07 AM

Date:08/20/2006
Buona sera,

I am now in my fourth month in Tuscany and would like to suggest you consider Montepulciano,home of the Vino Nobile di Montepulcino and its 20 to 25 enotecas, and the beautiful surrounding area of the Val D'Orcia.
My friends who have come to stay pronounced my apartment at:

www.politian.com

gorgeous. They are available for a few days and other properties under the same excellent management can be found at:

www.realtuscany.com

Montelcino home of the wonderful Brunello wines is just down the road.

I don't understand why they don't come up blue....am new to this...sorry! A google.com search will do it.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 04:23 AM

de1s2
Welcome to the forum!
I assume that you don't represent the booking agency that you listed.
Val D'Orcia may be my favorite area in Italy and is mentioned very often (as is the place you are staying) quite often here.
Aby specifically asked about the Chianti area and it might confuse people unfamiliar with Tuscany to mention your area.

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 11:03 AM

Is Tuscany, check www.rosadeiventi.net is an excellent agriturismo. The host and hostess are wonderful and helpful people. My DH and I stayed this past May and it was the highlight of our trip.
It is located 87Km from Florence and close to Montepulciano, Montalcino, Siena, Assisi, Cortona.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 11:17 AM

We stayed on a wonderful working vineyard called Il Querceto, just outside Castellina in Chianti. Loved it -- absolutely perfect in every way. This was in 1997, but they are evidently still operating. We rented through Parker agency, but I think the place may be operating independently now. You can find more on Google. Two caveats: 1) you absolutely need a car if you're going to stay there; 2) we stayed for a week; I don't know if they rent for shorter periods. Wherever you stay, have a wonderful trip.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:09 AM
TC

Near Greve, this is the place where the movie "Much Ado About Nothing" was filmed. I haven't stayed here, but it looks wonderful. Maybe others have comments.

http://www.vignamaggio.com/english/agriturism.html
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 10:59 AM

TC
We visited this place last year. It's beautiful!
The views, grounds and the rooms are superb. If we cxan't get into our regular place,we plan on staying there. I'm sure,though,that's it's much more expensive.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 03:23 AM

A delightful, respite sited on the top of a chianti "moiuntain" overlooking the wine fields...moderately priced, NOT luxury but comfortable and convenient...about 4 - 5 km from Greve.

Castello Vicchiomaggio
. . .

Via Vicchiomaggio 4, Greve in Chianti, Italy
Phone: 055-854079 - Greve in Chianti
- Kitchenette
- Restaurant/Food
- Pool

- EUR 70 to EUR 110
. . .
Stay in what was formerly a fortified castle that dates from 956 (it was rebuilt during the Renaissance). Today, in addition to providing lodging, it is a prestigious wine estate with a tasting facility you can visit. Throughout the nine guest apartments and two farmhouses is wonderful heavy wooden furniture. The restaurant ($$$) serves homemade pastas and specialties such as stracotto, beef cooked in the farm's own prize-winning Chianti Classico. www.vicchiomaggio.it. 8 apartments, 2 houses. Restaurant, in-room safes, kitchenettes, refrigerators, cable TV, pool; no a/c. MC, V.
-Fodor's

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -