Reload this Page >

Tuscany,Umbria,Lake Como help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 03:18 AM
jabez

Looking for help from this group of wise and experienced Italy travelers.<BR>We’re two couples who are going to Italy May 27-June 8 (Round trip Florence). As of now, we are narrowing our time to Tuscany, Umbria and Lake Como. We’re really not all that interested in the bigger cities (this trip) and museums (we’ll spend 3 more days in Paris indulging in that pleasure). Hill-top towns, beautiful scenery, some hiking (not too strenuous),quaint towns, and GREAT food are tops on our list. In the states we enjoy B&B’s and look to that option in Italy (agritourismo’s & small family-run hotels in quaint towns). Some non-touristy shopping (including markets-Arezzo?)Using search I’ve found much help here and elsewhere on the web, but so much that it’s almost overwhelming.<BR>How long would you suggest for each area? What are the “do not miss” spots ? Best places to stay (not overly expensive)?We expect to rent a car for most of the trip. We are thinking of going to Como by train, unless we find that some drives further north from there need to be part of this trip. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. By the way, my wife’s a vegetarian. Any experience here would be helpful as wel<BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 04:30 AM
Laura

I stayed in that area about 4 years ago and just loved it. Florence is beautiful of course. Make sure you drive/go up to the Piazza Michelangelo for a great view over the city. <BR><BR>Siena is fantastic - I preferred it to Florence. Don't miss San Giamingano - for me, this little town was one of the highlights. It looks beautiful as you are driving up to it - there are many towers - and when you are there the views of the countryside are stunning. It was featured in the movie 'Tea with Mussolini'. Maybe try and see that before you go? One other thing - if you visit the cathedral in Siena - don't miss the little library that is inside. You have to pay extra to visit, but it is defnitely worth it. The murals are amazing.<BR><BR>Pisa is worth a visit to see the tower, but there isn't much else there, so I wouldn't plan to spend long there.<BR><BR>When I was there, I stayed in Montecatini, which is a beautiful spa town. One of my 5 highlights ever was a trip to the spa there. It's called Montecatini Terme. All the elderly Italians go there to drink the waters - which are the most disgusting thing you could ever imagine! - But they all sit around - dressed to the nines and listen to an orchestra play. We would just go in the morning to absorb the athmosphere. It was really beautiful.<BR><BR>I'm sure you'll have a great time!<BR><BR>Laura

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Dale

Was in Como last spring and have visited Umbria twice a year for the past four years. Please email me if I can help. Leave for Italy tomorrow (9/11).

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Michael

Lake Como is in the opposite direction from Tuscany and Umbria. I would limit the trip to Tuscany and Umbria and possibly include Perugia, Gubbio, Assisi, Orvieto and Todi in addition to the other towns previously mentioned.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 09:26 AM
xxx

It's true that Lake Como is a fair distance from Tuscany, but unless you're sure you'll go there on another trip, I would sacrifice two or three days in Tuscany to include it. I think it's among the most beautiful places on earth. I've only driven through Como, but I don't think it compares to Bellagio or Varenna as a place to stay.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Mary

My fiance and I are looking to go to Tuscany for our honeymoon which will be in early April. Can you tell me any information about the weather then?

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 08:12 PM
Shar

Went to Italy visiting both Umbria and Tuscany. If you only have 12 days, I would skip Lake Como and truly enjoy Tuscany and Umbria Frankly I was not that thrilled with Como itself. There are some more quaint towns around there but Como was too crowded, too touristy, too big. There are other lakes that are more beautiful - Lake Maggiore for one and some nicer more quaint towns oustide of Como like Cennobbio(?) We have done hills towns in both Tuscany and Umbria. Our last trip we rented a farmhouse in the hills of Ubmria for a week before heading over to the Italian Riviera for a week. We Loved Umbrian and we hit lots of hill towns doing day trips to each and returning to our lovely home each night. Heard lots of good things about Gubbio but was disappointed. We much preferred Assisi, Oviveto, Montone, Monteriggioni, San Gimignano, Siena and others in between in Tuscany. Shar

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 03:39 AM
jabez

Thank you all for your help.