Tuscany or Amalfi - 10 Days

Old Mar 9th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Tuscany or Amalfi - 10 Days

Hello all...I am trying to plan a trip for my 40th birthday with my girlfriend for the end of June. I have decided to do Italy - been there twice. I am trying to decide between Amalfi Coast or Tuscany for 10 days, probably flying into/out of Rome. I am having a difficult time deciding on where to stay/what to do in either place, should I get a car (Tuscany). I am looking for a relaxing (not switching hotels every 2 nights) vacation that involves food, wine and immersing in the culture/people of either region. We are not sit around on a beach people, nor do we need to spend time in museums. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 10:15 AM

Congratulations on your 40th birthday.

Tuscany sounds like a good option for you. You could stay in an agriturismo or country hotel, with pool, of course, and tour the nearby towns and relax at your hotel in the evening. There are lots of places advertised, so take a look. If you do that, you might want to fly into Florence or Pisa. Having a car will make traveling around Tuscany much easier...beware the no parking zones around towns.

It will likely be warm, so get a place with AC.

Of course, relaxing at the Amalfi coast will be stunning, too. It would be a bit more time consuming to get there, and get around while there, so it might simpler to just go to Tuscany.

I always find YouTube videos, inspiring, so take a look to help you decide.

Enjoy.
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 05:23 PM

I did my 50th in Positano. While we did hang out by the pool a lot, we did spend a day in the spa, a day climbing the steps at Nocelle and hiking part of the Walk of the Gods and an amazing day at a winery with lunch in Tramonti.

We did fly in and out of Rome although Naples would be closer (long story on why we chose Rome).

The Amalfi coast is gorgeous. I am not sure what type of hotel budget you have. We did change hotels but only because I found a second hotel after we booked our trip and I was obsessed with it so we spent 6 nights in Positano at Le Sirenuse and 3 in Conca dei Marini at Monastero Santa Rosa. We spent our final night at Albergo del Senato in Rome.

We had a fantastic time but did very little as far as sight seeing. Mostly pool, pasta and Prosecco.

Click my name to find the trip report I wrote, if you are interested.
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 05:31 PM

You honestly can't go wrong with either. And 10 days is a great amount of time for either. And either one could be done from one single base or a couple of bases. Tuscany would be best with a car, while the Amalfi region has good public transportation.

For Amalfi I would base in Sorrento and do day trips by bus and boat to Positano/Amalfi/Ravello and by boat to Capri and also Ischia. By train you can go to Pompeii and Naples. Or split the time half in Sorrento (for Ischia, Pompeii, Herculaneum and Naples) and half in Amalfi or Positano. From either base you can do a day trip to Capri.

For Tuscany I like Siena as it is slightly larger and has more to see/do in the evenings. Day trips by car to numerous smaller towns and by bus to Florence (don't drive there).

I have photos of all these places here: http://andiamo.zenfolio.com/ Click on Italy and there are sub galleries for Amalfi and Tuscany and Florence.
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 05:33 PM

We've visited the Amalfi Coast on 4 different occasions for 3-4 days each, and we've spent 9 weeks in the Val d'Orcia in Tuscany (going back for 2 more weeks this Sept).

I would get bored with 10 days on the AC - unless you REALLY want to relax & "do nothing" for many days. Tuscany offers more variety, IMO. If you want to get into "food, wine and immersing in the culture/people of either region" - that sounds more like Tuscany instead of a "resort" like the AC. Although, I'm not a fan of Tuscany food.

Here is where we are staying in Tuscany:
http://www.casaosenna.com/

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 06:26 PM

Isabel, I love your new format---very cool.
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 04:25 AM

Hi Bob! Always so good to see you here. Hope you are doing well!

Dayle
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 05:19 AM

Hi Bob
Thanks. I actually have 'onelittleworld' to thank, that was part of what inspired me to switch to zenfolio. and Ms. Go was very helpful answering questions.
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 07:37 AM

In June, I'd definitely do Tuscany rather than the very hot and crowded Amalfi Coast.
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 12:24 PM
ekc

If you aren't beach people and you are into wine, then Tuscany is the logical choice.
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 05:33 PM

Thanks Dayle,

Holding my own. Cannot do some things I want to--concentration and focus are not good. Typing is slow, as are my motor skills. But, I am feeling good most days and I visit the Forum daily. Had my 80th birthday in Feb.
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 03:35 PM

I agree with StuDudley about Tuscany - for the food, wine and culture. Fly into Florence over Rome - quicker in and out of the airport. Get a car and rent a house or hotel with a pool. Many home rentals are quite reasonable. As Isabel stated, Siena would be a nice base location. You can then stay put lounging by the pool during the day and then head out for a wonderful Tuscan meal. Siena provides easy day trips for sightseeing, hiking, biking, wine tastings, visiting the markets, etc. We loved Greve in Chianti, though it is much smaller than Siena.