Search

Tuscany advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuscany advice needed

Hello,

I have 10-11 days for my first trip to Italy in June 2005. I am looking for advice on lodging.

My current thought was to rent a villa between Pisa and Florence (Lucca, maybe?) so that I had a centralized location from which to tour from. I figured I would rent for a week during which I could do a couple days in Pisa, Florence then discover some small towns on the other days. Then, I could scoot to Rome for the last 3-4 days.

Does this sound like a good plan? I am travelling with my family, which includes a 1 and 3 year old. I figured they would be easier in a house than hotel, moving every couple days.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Old Nov 28th, 2004, 04:08 PM

If your one and three year olds are like mine were, your decision to stay in one place is a good one. Your plan sounds just fine. You never mentioned the plural personal pronoun "we" and I began to get concerned for you personally, trying to look after those two kids by yourself. I hope there is a significant other who will help you with the kids and with the enjoyment of the trip. Learn some of the basic Italian expressions and the more common road signs. Good luck.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Wayne,

Sorry for any confusion with my pronouns! Its 'us'. Myself, wife, mother in law and the two kids.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 04:32 PM

Your plans sounds like a good one. The 3 year-old might have more fun on an agriturismo than a villa -- there should be some farm animals for him/her to feed/look at.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Robert,

Thanks for that advice. Would you have any web sites that you like to book those types of accomodation? By the title, I am assuming that this is a working farm. Is that correct?
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 05:21 AM

We stayed in Castellina in Chianti and found it a good location.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 08:58 AM

I doubt the agriturismo we stayed at would do for you as it was in the south part of Tuscany -- although that makes it closer to Rome (about a 2 hour drive). Here is the URL to them, though. I can recommend it.

http://www.agritouritalia.com/scheda.php?id=66

I don't think most agriturismos are working farms -- this one had some cats, dogs, and donkeys there, though. Anyway, agriturismos are omnipresent in Tuscany. You should be able to find one, easily, in the part you mentioned.

Old Nov 29th, 2004, 11:00 AM

I feel you would prefer the area near Siena to be preferable to explore Tuscany. Lucca and Pisa are fine, but too far NW to really see Tuscany.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 11:34 AM
awbaker

Hi caeylowry! I'm planning a similar trip to Tuscany in August 2005 with my family, including our 4 and 2 y.o.'s. We are planning on staying in an apartment IN Lucca for one week, and using trains for our transportation. Lucca, I've heard, is a good choice with young children because it is relatively flat compared to many of the Tuscany towns -- thus easier for you with a stroller. I found quite a few Lucca rentals (apartments and villas) on knowitall.com.

After Lucca, we will rent a car and stay in an apartment on a farm near Montepulciano. We thought this would be better than an isolated villa, in hopes that there might be other kids staying there as well. The ones I am considering can refer babysitters as well for an evening (or two!) out.

If you could incorporate southern Tuscany into your itinerary, you might be able to eliminate Rome and just do one or two day trips there.

Old Nov 29th, 2004, 06:25 PM

Hi Casey,

A half day in Pisa would be enough. The Tower, Duomo, etc. are beautiful, but you can see them in 3 hours.

I would also recommend staying somewhere around Siena.

Buon viaggio!
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 08:19 PM

H Casey,

I am with bob and dayle on their suggestion - find a nice location near Siena. Its much more centrally location for the rest of Tuscany, and a shorter trip for your end in Rome.

I would also second the opinion on Pisa, a couple of hours there and you should be satisfied ( would take some time to do lunch perhaps).

I might consider spending a night or two in the area near Assisi before you head to Rome. For me, from Siena, it would be a little far to travel for a day trip - I like to spend more of my time walking around towns rather than driving to them. If you spent a couple days near Assisi / Perugia it would offer something a little different - and don't forget to stop in Deruta! We bought some pottery there, and the pieces that we have are our most favorite of any thing that we have brought back. (For sure for my wife, but I couldn't say that and not count the Brunellos on my account.)

What ever you do, don't overplan - give yourself time to experience the country! Those words were passed on to me my bob and ira a number of others here - and its good advice - enjoy yourself!
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 06:48 AM

For KenMI: You mentioned staying in Assisi and traveling to Deruta. How far a distance is that? Was there a hotel in Assisi that you particularly liked?
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 07:43 PM

Maxter,

As I recall in planning our trip last year, there were two hotels in/near Assisi that were possibilities which we checked out. They had reasonable rates (we were dealing with three of us in a room) and the hotels had pretty positive evaluations on line or in travel books. I have lent out my notes and books to a friend for their trip planning, once I get them back I will let you know which hotels we were considering. Though I recommended that casey consider staying near Assisi to keep things close, our own plans did not allow us to do the same. We had looked at staying there, but as we decided to attend a number of jazz concerts at the winter jazz festival in Orvieto we made our base in that town. Since the bulk of our time was to be in Orvieto we decided to stay there instead (at the Hotel Duomo, just steps from the Duomo, right smack in the middle of things). We did enjoy Orvieto, and ended up driving to Deruta and Assisi during some "down time". Took us about 2.5 hours to drive to Assisi from Orvieto - much longer that I normally like to spend on the road, though the trip was quite worth it - great views of the countryside, Todi was particularly intriguing.

Should be able to provide the names of the hotels that we contacted in a week or two - soon as I can get my hands on my notes.