Search

Tuscan Region

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuscan Region

Hello all you world travellers! We are new to this site. My wife and I are planning a trip to Italy next year (June) for 10 days-our 15th. wedding anniversary. We would love to go to the Tuscan region but, never having been to Italy we are open to alot of suggestions on where to stay and sites not to be missed. I assume we would fly into Rome and spend about two days there and then off to Tuscany. We both love wine, small villages, scenery and I am an avid photographer. So the region seems perfect. Should we go to a travel agent or can we plan the trip ourselves.

Thanks to all
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 10:49 AM

Hi Thumper:
My husband and I have been to Tuscany many times and have always planned the trip ourselves--but that is what we enjoy doing! If you also enjoy planning for yourself, you have plenty of time. We always spend a few days in Florence and/or Rome, then a week or two in a rental somewhere in central Tuscany so that we can take day trips from our home base. I love to cook; going to the local markets is great for fresh as well as prepared foods. My husband loves to explore the wines of the area, so we do a bit of wine tasting in the wineries. Our favorite "home base" villages are Montepulciano and Fonterutoli (near Castelina in Chianti). We have had great luck finding rentals by searching "Vacation rentals in Tuscany." I would start with one of the travel guides to the area--Frommer's or Eyewitness "Florence and Tuscany" Enjoy the planning, enjoy the trip!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 11:50 AM
ira

Hi T,

I suggest for an anniversary trip that you

fly into Venice (or Milan if you have to and train to Venice) for 3-4 days.

A first visit is not the best time to learn to drive in Italy.

If you are adventurous and like maps, rent a car and spend 4 days in Tuscany. Drop the car in Florence and fly home from Florence (FLR) or Pisa (PSA).

If not, train to Florence for 7-6 days and take daytrips to Siena (bus), and 2-3 of Lucca/Pisa, Bologna, Orvieto, Montepulciano.

I know, I left out Rome.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 12:10 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
A couple of days in Rome to start will not be relaxing.

I would fly into Rome, pick up a car and drive straight to Orvieto or Spello. Stay a few days - explore Umbrian towns like Assissi, Todi, Gubbio et al. Driving in Umbria and Tuscany is delightful with lots of great drives. Click on Stu Dudley's name. He recently gave some wonderful info.

Drive to Siena - three or four days exploring towns like San Gimignano, Volterra, Montalcino Pienza, Montepulciano.

Drop the car on your last night.

Take the 8:12 train from Siena (via Florence) to Venice that arrives about 1:30. Spend your last couple or three nights in Venice to cap off a wonderful anniversary trip in romantic style.

Save Rome for another trip.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 12:11 PM

If you ask enough (postings soon disappear into Fodor's black hole) so repeat and ask questions and Fodorites will help you plan your trip better than any guidebook or certainly any travel agent can - there are so many Fodorites who are experts in this area, so just keep asking. June is a great time for Tuscany - still a bit before the July-August multi-national invasion of Barbarians from northern Europe and heat is still kind of tolerable (avg high in July, Aug in Florence may be 90 or so). May would be even better. You can get around by train and bus - very dense system. I agree with Venice - Europe's most romantic and beautiful city in my opinion and then work way to Rome - Ira's itinerary is perfect for first time who want to see Florence, Rome and smaller cities.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 12:14 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh yeah...Plan the trip yourself. Between this board, internet sites and a couple of good guidebooks, you can plan your own trip based upon what you like to do.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 12:46 PM

In a recent 12 day trip, we did Rome (4-5days), then to Florence by train (3-4 days) and then by car to Cortona (2-3 days) and then on to an airport hotel in Rome via the rental car. You can begin to relax after leaving Rome and by the time you have the rental car, your language skills will have improved and you'll feel comfortable driving in the hill towns and motorways to Rome.
Ciao, you'll love it. Bob
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 01:49 PM

Hi Thumper! Isn't it a blast planning a trip like this! We are planning one too, for next May. We have been several times and have mostly gone through Italiatour, with no problems. This time we are doing it ourselves, with the help of this board, which we always refer to. Since it is your first time, I would recommend to fly into Venice for 2-3 nights. Very romantic for an anniversary. The last time we went, we rented a car in Venice (which was very easy) and drove down to Gubbio and stayed for three nights, exploring Assisi, Montipuciano, and some smaller towns, then over to Sienna for three nights and then down to Rome for two nights (a mistake). I would agree to skip Rome. That's a trip unto itself and not too relaxing for just a few days. Please don't miss Florence, for about three nights. Fly out of Florence for that matter, but drop the car before you get into the city. Venice, Sienna, and Florence I think is doable for 10 days without killing yourselves and allowing plenty of time for exploration. Have a great trip!
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 04:08 AM

Ah,personal preference!
Thumper, you'll find a cornucopia of ideas on where to go in this Forum. For instance ,I love Rome more than Venice. Others vice-versa.
Have fun exploring the possibilities.
A couple general recommendations:
-Rome really needs 3+ days to enjoy it as you should. This is partially because it's big with LOTS to see and it takes awhile to acclomate yourself.
-I think Florence and Venice tend to need a few days as well.
-If Tuscany is your main desire, I'd fly into Florence and leave from Rome (or vice-versa). With only 10 days (9 nights?), I'd probably do round-trip Florence.
-Consider a "circlular" route from Florence thru Umbria, to southern Tuscany and then Chianti.
Have fun planning and keep asking, there are many great people here that love to help.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 10:16 AM
rex

This post is not only "not lost in the black hole" - - it contains some useful answers. You only need to click on your own name.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:25 PM
rex

topping... but probably to no avail...