10 days - Tuscany

Search

10 days - Tuscany

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 days - Tuscany

Yikes....I have just started researching and planning a 10 day trip to Italy. We fly into Rome....leave from Venice 10 days later.
My initial reaction was to spend 2 days in Rome, 2 days in Florence, drive to Siena and get a place for 3 days. Do day trips from Siena. Get back to Venice to leave?
I would appreciate some comments and suggestions? My goal from this trip for great wine, great people and great food. My hubby is tagging along but I know he will fall in love once he gets there!

Michelle - confused Canadian
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 07:12 AM

It would be helpful to know if you have ever been to Italy before. Italy is such a wonderful destination but, unless you have been before, I think you are leaving too little time to see and enjoy its delights.

If you have not been, I would suggest 4 days in Rome and 3 each in Florence and Venice.

If you have been and are familiar with each of these places, don't mind moving around so much, know how to get from place to place and only want to see or do a few things, your plan might work.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

We have never been to Italy -- nor to Europe. THanks for your suggestions. I am more of a "small town" traveller and like to see more rural things than the huge cities.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 07:40 AM

Hello Mishka, I agree with you that you must do the Tuscany hill towns and not just the big 3 art cities. But, you only have 10 days--that dictates 3 destinations to me---not 4. So, what goes? I suggest skipping Florence since you arrive Rome and depart Venice. I would do 4-3-3 since your first day is tough. From Rome, train to Siena and stay at one of the hotels on the perimeter of Siena to allow for day trips---Piccolo Oliveta, Santa Caterina etc. See Siena that day and then get the car and explore Tuscany the next 2 days. Then, drive to Venice and drop the car for your last 3 nites. Hope this makes ense to you.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Bob - thanks so much - that does sound like more my style. I have heard from some (a few) that Florence is a must see and that Rome would almost be a 2nd choice to Florence. Comments?
And, we are looking at staying at La Saracina which is near Pienza? Comments?
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 07:55 AM

Your call---I find Florence too crowded and harried. I would opt for Rome. La Saracina is wonderful but well south of Siena. I would tell you to get your car in Chiusi, but they have closed that office--also Orvieto--so Siena becomes your best option, unless you start in Florence. Also look at Le Traverse if Saracina is full. What you need is 2 more days.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Bob - thanks for your suggestions. Rather than LaSaracina, would you recommend somewhere in/near Siena?
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 09:25 AM

Bob, I'm picking up a car in Chiusi at the end of April and returning it there the first week in May (one week rental). Friends are returning a car there May 14. Both rentals are with Avis through AutoEurope, so the Chiusi location appears to be open at least through mid-May.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 10:00 AM

Betsy, when did you make your reservation ?

Visit autoeurope.com and enter the same dates as your reservation for pickup and drop-off in Chiusi.

Old Mar 24th, 2005, 10:20 AM

Yes, do check with Autoeurope. I understand it closes early April.

Mishka, if you end up training into Siena from Rome I think I would just stay there and see Siena that day and avoid an extra rental day. Look at Santa Caterina and also Frances Lodge about 2 miles out of town. You can taxi to get the car the next day.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 10:45 AM

Hi Mishka,

I am another who prefers Rome to Florence. To me, Florence was very crowded, noisy, and filled with Vespa fumes. Personally, I would only spend 1 day there to see the David and the Ufizi, maybe the Medici Chapel and Santa Croce.

Bob's suggestion for an itinerary is excellent - a good mix.

Buon viaggio!
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 12:18 PM

Uh-oh, jd2jc. I went to the website, now I'm headed to the phone. Will report in with the results of the phone call.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Here's the scoop: So far, so good. I spoke with an AE supervisor who confirmed that Avis is closing its Chiusi location April 2. EuropaCar will pick up the reservation, and drive out from Siena to meet us at the Chiusi train station. A $100 charge will be added to our total rental each way for this "meet and greet" service. AE will reimburse us for this additonal charge. AE is emailing a revised voucher noting the changes, including reimbursement of the extra charges. Thanks so much for the heads up. I'll keep you posted.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

So...suggestions are:

Fly into Rome, spend 3 days
Train from Rome to Sienna - find a "home) for 3 days. Spend the 1st day touring Sienna and then rent a car and drive the hills for the other two.
Train from Sienna to Venice - spend final 3 days there?
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 01:54 PM

Mishka- We stayed at La Saracina in Oct. It was so wonderful and romantic!!!!!! It is also near many charming hill towns. If you like wine this is the place to go. Will you have a car?

I would pick Rome over Florence also. My last time in Florence was such a disappointment. It was so crowded I couldn't see my own feet. There was a 4 hour wait to see the David etc....Rome is my favorite city. There is so much to see that you need at least 3 days.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 03:20 PM

Mishka, Since you have the car you might as well drive to Venice. The time is about the same and why have the hassle of dropping the car and taking the train. It will be a 4 hours drive from near Siena--drop the car at Piazzale Roma--vaporetto or water taxi to your hotel. Have fun !