Tuscan itinerary - request routing and dining suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending a few days in Rome before driving from Rome Hilton Cavalieri to Chiusdino in late August for a 2 night stay at Borgo Santo Pietro. We will then spend 2 nights in Greve in Chianti, and 1 night in Montepulciano before heading to Florence where we will return the car to the airport and cab to the Excelsior. The itinerary is not changeble- (I know there are more logical ways of doing this but there are various (boring) reasons.) So... any suggestions on routing between locations and good places to stop for lunch and/ or exploration as we travel from place to place?
We want to have a Tuscan experience without overprogramming ourselves. We'll just have to make a second trip!
Any input is much appreciated.
Also thinking of bringing GPS from home, loaded with European software and ipad with maps previously downloaded so we will assumably not need wifi to access them.
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 07:35 AM

Click on my name to find my recent trip report and note the pranzo locations in Montichiello and Castelmuzio
---both are in my favorite settings in all of Tuscany.
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 05:50 PM

You have lots of options for visits and eating on your way up the coast from Rome, depending on your timing. If time permits, stop and visit the city of Grosseto.

During your stay in Chiusdino, be sure to visit the nearby and fascinating Abbazia di San Galgano. Massa Marittima is a nice town to visit.

A lovely drive from Geve to Montepulciano-

From Greve, head south on the SR222 and after you go around Siena, get on the SP438 toward Asciano. From Asciano, take the small road (I think it's the 451) toward San Giovanni d'Asso and through the heart of the beautiful Crete Senesi landscape. Continue on where you take the SR2 toward Pienza and then into Montepulciano.

If you want a nice stop along the route, follow the signs after Asciano (and before reaching San Giovanni d'Asso) to the Abbazia d'Monte Oliveto Maggiore. Stop and visit the abbey and if it's lunch time, eat at the restaurant. The food is very good and there is outside seating.

Where to eat may depend on where you are on the road around lunch time.
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your input. I believe we can walk to Galgano from Borgo.
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 01:01 PM

I really think it would be a mistake to spend time in Grosseto when there are so many more lovely and fascinating spots en route.

But by all means do not miss San Galgano.

People so often post on Fodor's that what they most hope to do is "soak up the atmosphere" in Italy. Not far from Chiusdino, try soaking in the natural hot springs of Petriolo, a great way to keep from overprogramming yourselves "hitting hill towns" compulsively, which is what too many people do. The natural springs have been enjoyed by visitors from Rome since Roman times.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/201...al-hot-springs

As well as a GPS, why not pick up a copy of the Slow Food guide to eating in Italy, which will keep you out of the worst tourist haunts?
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 01:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i can tell you that the springs at Saturnia, [and the restaurants in the nearby village] are well worth visiting.

but if you go to one of the springs, take not only your cossies, but also some footwear like flip-flops, as the stones are quite sharp.
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

I did discover that the online price of the GPS I would have rented is about the same as buying it loaded with US and Europe maps. Amazon- here I come. I did not know about the Slow Food guide. I will also purchase that! Annhig, what is a cossie?
Hope the springs don't smell like the sulphur springs at the Greenbriar!
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 08:22 PM

Cossie = bathing costume (usually by Aussies.)
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 04:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Annhig, what is a cossie?>>

a swimming costume in UK and now it would appear aussie slang.

Hope the springs don't smell like the sulphur springs at the Greenbriar!>>

never having been to Greenbriar i can't answer that, but i didn't think that they were too bad.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Much more interesting word than "bathing suit".