Search

SAN MINIATO to VAL D'ORCIA question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2009, 07:50 PM
DAX
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAN MINIATO to VAL D'ORCIA question

We've seen San Gigmignano & Sienna before, is there any nice town/village to stop between San Miniato & Val d'Orcia? What's the best route to take in late October and how long would it take to get to Pienza or Montalcino from San Miniato?
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 06:55 AM

Are you driving? If so-

I suggest taking the A1 to SR222 and driving through Chianti, stopping for lunch in Greve or Panzano or Castellina in Chianti, depending on timing.

After navigating past Siena, take the SP438 toward Asciano. From Asciano, take the SS451 to Buonconvento. If you are in Asciano or Buonconvento at lunch time you can stop to eat. This is a very beautiful drive through the Crete Senesi landscape.

From Buonconvento, follow the SR2 to Montalcino and Pienza.

Depending on stops along the way, this drive can take 3 hours (no stops) to all day.

Now, if you are in more of a hurry, you can take the A1 to the SR2 and stop in Buonconvento for lunch. The drive to Buonconvento will take about 1.5 hours.

There are many other ways to make this drive, but those are 2 suggestions. Make sure you have a detailed map (1cm = 2km) for your trip.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 07:06 PM
DAX
Original Poster

Yes we're driving, I see that the best route is still SR222, we got caught in a horrendous traffic jam in April there but maybe it's emptier in October. Do you remember any good restaurants in Greve or Castelina Chianti? How would you rank these 3 places? I can't find much info on Panzano.

Asciano looks like an ideal stop! We may just drop San Miniato since our trip is moved up to October from the original November white truffle season. I have to research Buonconvento, but I always prefer personal recaps/experiences.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 08:05 AM

I like the town of Castellina over the other two. It is lovely. Panzano is very small but they do have a couple of nice places to eat.

Actually, you may be better off eating lunch in the countryside, on a terrace with a nice view, rather than in a town. I have found the reviews on slowtrav.com to be very helpful-

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/restaurants/reviews.asp

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/restau...ianti_jane.htm

You could take a list of restuarants along the way and stop when you are ready for lunch at the nearest.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 08:41 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"Do you remember any good restaurants in Greve"

One of my favorite restaurant experiences is about 7 km from Greve.

http://www.ristorodilamole.it/

Old Sep 10th, 2009, 10:25 PM
DAX
Original Poster

Zoe: The slow trav link you gave me is just what I need (Thanks!). It's nice to have all the reviews without having to bother people for restaurant tips anymore. I do have that habit of making a short list of restaurants to make sure that we get the best possible meals where ever we may end up.

Maitai: What an incredible view that restaurant terrace has. I assume their food was equally memorable for you to single it out. I'll keep it on my short list.