Where to stay between Rome and San Gimignano

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2003, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will fly into Rome mid-October, but have decided we've spent enough time there recently and on past trips. We've never explored central/northern Italy outside of Florence and Venice, and we're looking for a place to spend our first two nights north of Rome. We have three days planned for San G and surrounding towns (including Siena), and will spend three days in Venice.

Any suggestions - we're wide open - secluded house on a nice lake, quaint small town, etc. We will have a car.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 09:51 AM

Two nights seems too little time to settle into anything really special. You'll never get unpacked. Assuming you're driving from Rome to Tuscany (done the drive several times), my favorite layovers are Orvieto and Multipulciano. They're both on the way and deserve exploration. Good luck.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 11:07 AM

Your best option is Orvieto--and you can be there in less 1:30 from FCO and miss all of the Rome traffic. We will be doing that again this Oct. and staying at Locanda Rosati just west of town. Be sure to visit Civita and the Etruscan villages of Pitigliano and Sovana that next day. Then, take S-2 north and stop at Bagno Vignoni and the Abbey at Mt. Oliveto Maggiore on your way north--a great Tuscan route.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 02:33 PM

My husband and I had the same dilemma in June. We ended up going to Spoleto for two nights and stayed at the Hotel San Luca. We arrived on Thursday night and went to dinner that night at the Tric Trac in front of the Duomo. Very nice - a bit pricey but very good food.

The next day, we drove through the country side to meet a man who was supposed to take us truffle hunting. It turned out to be a demonstration of how his dogs can 'find' the truffles that he had hidden. It was enjoyable for what it was but I wouldn't recommend it unless they can guarantee you that it is truffle season and that's what you'll be doing.

The rest of the day, we wandered through the town enjoying the ambiance and the views. That evening, we went to dinner at Osteria del Trivio which is very close to the hotel (i.e. no climbing!) and very reasonably priced. That was one of the best meals we had in our three-week trip to Italy. The hosts, Umberto and his lovely wife Mirella, were so much fun and served us great food, wine, and conversation! A wonderful night. So good that we stopped back by there for lunch the next day before we continued on our trip to Tuscany. Spoleto was very unique and we really enjoyed ourselves. Ciao . . .
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 03:28 PM

We just got back from that area and spent 4 nights in the outskirts of Siena.San Giminano is adorable, but definitely not worth an overnight stay.
To be truthful, we saw it in 3 hours and were off to Monteriggioni for lunch.
San Gimingano is cramped with day trippers from 9-5. I'd say stay in or near Siena and use that as your jumping off point for dozens of delightful small towns and ancient villages in the area.