Tuscan countryside

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuscan countryside

We'll be in Florence in mid October for 4 days and would like to experience the Tuscan countryside for a day trip. Some have suggested Siena, some Fiesole, etc. Some have suggested bus, train, or private driver. We like the idea of Siena but it seems like it could be another urban experience. We are first-time travelers to Italy and would appreciate anyone's thoughts. Thanks. TandC
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Neopolitan

Fiesole is a lovely suburb of Florence -- hardly a day trip. Siena is seemingly as large a city as Florence.
It's hard to beat San Gimignano for sheer beauty and interest, and October would be lovely.

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 07:09 PM

TandC,

What time of Oct. are you going to be there? My husband and I are going to be at the Villa Vignamaggio in Greve-in-Chianti in early Oct. It LOOKS and SOUNDS wonderful, but I can't yet give you a final recommendation. However, if you click on my hilighted username (take_time_2_travel) in blue, you will see the feedback from those who suggested Villa Vignamaggio and what part of Tuscany held what features and landscapes. We will be between Florence and Sienna with the chance to see both and still have the country experience. Good luck!
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 07:17 PM
hdm

If you go to San Gimignano, either go by public transportation or hire a driver. We got there about 10 a.m. and couldn't find a parking space anywhere. We drove around looking for one for quite a while then gave up and went on our way. A parking attendant told us that parking is generally filled up by 9:30 a.m. We were there in June.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 09:15 PM

<<Some have suggested bus, train, or private driver.>>

We splurged and hired Luca from Hills and Roads and are so happy we did. It was a wonderful day. We found him here as he is widely recommended.
(www.hillsandroads.com) You can click on my name TandC and scroll to our trip report for more details if you so desire!

Best wishes.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 04:27 AM

A drive on the Chianti road (S222) through Greve would be a good idea. We were in San G in mid-Sept and had no problem finding a parking spot. I highly recommend a visit. Also the small nearby hilltown of Monteriggioni...