COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Parking in Tuscany

Old May 30th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Parking in Tuscany

Our family of 19 (5 families)is planning to stay for 1 week in June in Tuscany near Panzano. Since we all are coming and going from different directions, we will have 5 cars among us. We would like to visit many cities and towns while we are there, but are concerned about finding parking in some of these areas. Our desired locations to visit are Florence, Siena, Arezzo, Greve, Montepuciano, Montalcino, San Gimignano and several others. Are any of these areas going to pose a parking problem and what would you suggest as a solution.
Old May 30th, 2005, 01:44 PM

Well, I've been to all those towns with a car and I think parking will be an adventure primarily in Florence, difficult in Arezzo, a lttle less in Siena and probably medium difficult in the rest.

Florence is of course a big city and you'll have to find a pay ahead lot with a ticket you put under your windshield, Arezzo is probably 100,000 people and a busy city, we parked on the street there as well as all the other cities.
Old May 30th, 2005, 01:49 PM

Yes, it ia always a challenge. My best advice is to be there early, and be prepared to walk a good distance from the public lots.
Old May 30th, 2005, 02:56 PM
RJD

You will have difficulty particularly in Florence, Siena and San Giminiano. To give an example, I could find no parking near the Fortezza in Siena on a weekday at 11 am a month ago. Had trouble in San Gim too and waited 10 minutes for someone to leave a spot. Greve was no problem, nor was Montalchino. But Tuscany is crowded.
Leave early for your day trips.
Old May 30th, 2005, 03:01 PM

Hi W,

You are going to have a wonderful time!

One more important tip: Keep you eyes peeled for the blue "P" signs for public parking. Zoom into the first one you see and park and hoof it from there. If you miss the lot, you could easily end up navigating the narrow, steep, one-way roads of the hills town. Been there, done that! NOT fun.
Old May 30th, 2005, 03:52 PM

If you're not used to parallel parking brush up on it. It;s rare to find a space that;s more than about a foot or so longer than the car.

And unless you want a paid lot - or the parking lot on the edge of town - head-in mall-type parking is very rare.
Old May 30th, 2005, 04:28 PM

We were in Tuscany in the end of April. Parking after 11ish was difficult, we continuously couldnt remember how to get back to our car, the road signs are very confusing at times and I feel its really pushing it to try to see more than 2 towns per day. That being said, Tuscany is simply beautiful and fascenating and I cant wait to go back again
Old May 31st, 2005, 08:03 AM
ira

Hi w,

I suggest that for you visit to Florence you take the bus.

See http://www.sita-on-line.it/HomePage.htm

You want bus no. 345

Old May 31st, 2005, 04:16 PM

Ira is right. Leave the parking to the bus driver in Florence. Another option would be to park outside the center of the city and take a local public bus in, a trip usually lasting 10-12 minutes. Galluzzo offers some parking; look for soccer field signs (soccer ball).
In Arezzo, there are parking lots adjacent to the train station, fairly central to the heart of the city. Siena now has parking lots at the gates into the city.
Buon viaggio!
Carol L
Old May 31st, 2005, 05:56 PM

You can park for free in Florence at the large lot at Piazzale Michaelangelo. It is located on a hill south of the city and has spectacular views. It is well-signposted coming from the south.

You can walk down into Florence from there and take a taxi back, or taxi both ways if necessary. It's a short and inexpensive ride. I'm sure there is also a bus, but I don't have the details.

If someone tries to collect a fee, it's a scam. The lot is free.